champagne for beer

dobro

It was probably a mistake to work on a mix as long as I did today. But I'm at home with a separated shoulder and this is easily the best thing on offer - stuck at home with a good mix to work on - how bad can that be? I'm not sure where to put the de-esser in the vocal chain. How'd I do?

My friend Tjarko Busink did just about the whole thing. I sent him the vocal and said 'you got carte blanche, sucker - do your worst' and he came up with something way different than I'd envisioned. He always does that. I do alt folk, and he changes it to uptown retro European. I love it. That's Dutch, by the way. Champagne voor bier.

Attachments

• champagne for beer.mp3
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
Dude. This is terrific. The song itself is just great, I love it. It's like Interpol goes to the Netherlands.

Honestly, just about everything sounds good to me. Didn't hear a single "ess" so you must have done something right. Every once in a while the vocals exhibited a bit of upper-midrange strength that stuck out. Would that just be the character of the microphone maybe?

I notice that the hihat is pretty much centered. It actually sounds good like that to me. Myself, I keep panning my hihat off to the left a little because that's how I envision a drum kit if I were sitting behind it. But this may convince me to give it a try in the middle since it's such a constant throughout so many drum parts and it sounds balanced to me.

Sorry, I know it's not all that helpful to just gush about a mix in a mixing advice forum, but I'm so impressed at the things that people are coming up with from their basements and bedrooms.

No, it's useful - thanks. I think I'll EQ the vocal a bit after what you said, and my impression was that the hats were way too bright as well, and since they drew your attention... When I start mixing, I'm not methodical at all, except working on the most important track/segment first. I just sort of wade in and start tweaking what I hear needs it. The more I do it, the more I hear, but inevitably I miss stuff. That's where good ears in places like this are prized. Thanks.

I heard a few esses. But nothing that caused pain. Pusssh was largish though.
I like it but the lead guitar tone doesn't sound right for the track to my ears.
I like the Dutch bits - they add some difference as well as demonstrate the natural flow & fluidity of the language.

I heard a few esses. But nothing that caused pain. Pusssh was largish though.
I like it but the lead guitar tone doesn't sound right for the track to my ears.
I like the Dutch bits - they add some difference as well as demonstrate the natural flow & fluidity of the language.

I've listened another three times and tweaked nothing but the reverbs - that's how much I value your comments. I think the solo guitar's perfect late night FM radio coolness. We asked Abe Laboriel to drum on this but he just laughed. Bet he's sorry now. Thanks for the feedback about the s's. Do you use a de-esser? Where in the chain do you put it? On the vocal, on the verbordelay, or both? Elsewhere?

Last edited:
This is a very smooth tune. I listened a few times to try to find something to criticise but the mix sounds spot on to me. The vocal may be just slightly too present in some spots? From the composition point of view I thought it was a bit weird fading out over the vocal. Otherwise flows great

This is a very smooth tune. I listened a few times to try to find something to criticise but the mix sounds spot on to me. The vocal may be just slightly too present in some spots? From the composition point of view I thought it was a bit weird fading out over the vocal. Otherwise flows great

Hey thanks for the listen, and thanks for the idea about the fade. This tune goes back a ways, and the original version had a long fade and I just fell into the assumption of the fade with the spoken outro as well. I'll give it another listen. And the vocal...it's automated and the compressor's no fairyweight either - another listen. Thanks. Appreciate it.

The hard-panned sensibilities going on reinforce the Euro-ness... :) I'm hearing the essiness you're taking about. For me, the earlier in the chain, the better. It's not severe though. What an odd and delightful piece, I really enjoyed it. Unusual to have the drums almost isolated by the end of the fade, like each instrument wes faded at a different rate. Unusual, but very interesting choice. Drew my ear right into the last of it, which a good fade is supposed to do... :)

Isn't Abe L still touring with Sir Paul? ;)

Great feel in the song. I must say, that the vocals sound separated from the music that supports it IMO. The drums sound distant by comparison. The guitar solo has the same affect to me. I like a vocal out front, but the drums seem pushed way back. Maybe this is by design, and not my genre to comment on.....

Nice - the closeness of the vocals is very appealing. The stereo spread is perfect. The bass and kick are really tight. Great tune man!

The hard-panned sensibilities going on reinforce the Euro-ness... :)

Really? Is that a feature of 'European' mixing?

I'm hearing the essiness you're taking about. For me, the earlier in the chain, the better. It's not severe though. What an odd and delightful piece, I really enjoyed it.

Yeah, I've been trying to get some ideas about this, so now it's time to start trying stuff out. Like I said in another thread, I think I'll try a de-esser both before AND after the effect on the effects track. If that doesn't work, I'll try one on the dry track too, but right now it doesn't need it when it's soloed.

Unusual to have the drums almost isolated by the end of the fade, like each instrument wes faded at a different rate. Unusual, but very interesting choice. Drew my ear right into the last of it, which a good fade is supposed to do... :)

I had everything faded the same, but I'm always trying things out and it sounded better to me to extend the drums a hair.

Thanks for listening. (I know you listened because of the fade comment. :D)

Extended the fade, and now you can hear some cool bass work. Reworked the vocal effects to get it into the mix more. Other tweaks.

Attachments

• champagne for beer long fade .mp3
    6.6 MB · Views: 15
The vocal style in the 1st verse reminds me of Harry Nilsson at his larconic best.
I thought that maybe the overdriven guitar in the 1st section could be mellowed slightly or brought back a little with some reverb.
I found myself listening for lower strings in the synth part. Not essential but I did find myself doing that weird thing of focussing to find something.
Good remix.

Hey, good listen - thanks. I'm thinking that the guitar and vocal are overlapping. Good spot.

Maybe bring the electric bass part out some more. For the lack of low strings.

Hope your shoulder is better.

I understand the Dutch. The 'Stel je voor dat ik jou vriend ben (queue sound effect zipper) daar voor ruil ik met liefde champagne voor bier'. Is very funny and oh so romantic. :D Kudos to the writer of that line.

Uber cool song Dobro, well cool and well done. I love the guitar at 1:30, smoooooth.

How would you translate that line?

And it wasn't a sound effect. It was a real zipper.

I plugged in to google translate earlier today and...well...i don't get it :)

google translate said:
Imagine that I am your friend (queue zipper sound effect) there before I return with love champagne for beer

Zehr Gut!!! Ya! Man Dobro, you have mad talent. Loved listening to this mix - and the whimsical nature of the song....hats off.

Back