Ribbon mic recommendations for recording flute

Shape for one thing. despite both being passive ribbons they would both sound differant i would have thought.
Read up on ribbon mic care tips.
Get a pop sheild to be on the safe side.
Enjoy the unique sound that is a ribbon mic. Make sure you have a nice clean pre with lots of gain.
Some people say do not reccomend phantom power. google is your friend.
anything you want to know i might be able to help. If i can i will.

Anyone know what the difference is between the SE R1 and the SE X1R is??

As kip said, the shape and grill design are a big part, but they also added some of their new patented technology to the X1R so that it has a better high frequency response. This is what sE say about it. The R1 is a pretty cooly mic for drum overheads and electric guitar amps but those are the only things i've ever heard it on first hand.

I can't remember if you said, and can't see it mentioned, but what audio interface are you using? Are you using the built in preamps or have you got external ones?

I'll also second what kip said, if you need a hand with anything give us a shout (although kip is here more often and at more usual times whereas i appear to have once again reversed my sleeping patterns so he's probably you first port of call if you need answers quickly :) )

As kip said, the shape and grill design are a big part, but they also added some of their new patented technology to the X1R so that it has a better high frequency response. This is what sE say about it. The R1 is a pretty cooly mic for drum overheads and electric guitar amps but those are the only things i've ever heard it on first hand.

I can't remember if you said, and can't see it mentioned, but what audio interface are you using? Are you using the built in preamps or have you got external ones?

I'll also second what kip said, if you need a hand with anything give us a shout (although kip is here more often and at more usual times whereas i appear to have once again reversed my sleeping patterns so he's probably you first port of call if you need answers quickly :) )

Okey dokey. X1R is looking like a good candidate. I'm using Tascam US-122 audio interface. It has mic inputs and it seems to have an option to switch phantom on or off. Other than that, to be honest, I don't have a clue whether it'd be any good for ribbon mics......will have to research depending on what mic I get, I think.....

Thanks for you offers of help, I may need it! :D

Shape for one thing. despite both being passive ribbons they would both sound differant i would have thought.
Read up on ribbon mic care tips.
Get a pop sheild to be on the safe side.
Enjoy the unique sound that is a ribbon mic. Make sure you have a nice clean pre with lots of gain.
Some people say do not reccomend phantom power. google is your friend.
anything you want to know i might be able to help. If i can i will.

Your probably going to want nearer to 70 db of gain. i wouldnr rush out and buy a new preamp just yet. I dont really know the tascam unit but i would think it would be in the region of a 60 db of gain. (most onboards are)
I'd give it a whirl first. The price of the mic will leave you some change towards a new mic preamp if needs be anyway.
I dont own this unit but a lot of people reccomend the Gap Pre 73.
I use an Alice Mic Pak.
I'll post a bit more when i get home from work . Have a good day
Rich

Other than that, to be honest, I don't have a clue whether it'd be any good for ribbon mics......

Well, as you started this thread with this;

I'm really into the idea of getting a ribbon mic because I heard some recordings and compared to condenser and dynamic mics, it makes the low notes sound fuller and the high notes less harsh.

I'd say a ribbon mic is definitely worth a go :) The high end on ribbons is much smoother than most condensers and the low end can be really big and ballsy (that's why i love them on acoustic guitars). Tbf, as we said earlier, if you don't like the sound then you can easily sell it on at little or no loss.

Your probably going to want nearer to 70 db of gain. i wouldnr rush out and buy a new preamp just yet. I dont really know the tascam unit but i would think it would be in the region of a 60 db of gain. (most onboards are)
I'd give it a whirl first. The price of the mic will leave you some change towards a new mic preamp if needs be anyway.
I dont own this unit but a lot of people reccomend the Gap Pre 73.
I use an Alice Mic Pak.
I'll post a bit more when i get home from work . Have a good day
Rich

Just had a look at the Tascam and, unless i'm reading it wrong, it has about 60dB of gain, and bare in mind that that's with the gain turned up full where preamps, especially on the ones built into audio interfaces, tend to get noisy. If the source is very loud then it may be absolutely fine, but you may find that the signal on a quieter instrument is very quiet or noisy.
As Kip said, it's well worth a go with just the Tascam preamps just to see how it goes.
I've been lucky in that i've got some external pres with plenty of gain so don't have any experience with either the Alice Mic Pak Kip mentioned or the Cloudlifter that people go on about but they both get great reviews

Artur - the maker of the DIYAC RM-5 ribbon mic suggested exactly the same - that I should try the Tascam first and if it's no good, then he recommended:

FetHead - tritonaudio

What I'm confused about is what phantom power exactly is. Would using the mic with the Tascam require the use of phantom power.....? There is a switch on there, which allows phantom power to be switched on or off......

Can I use the mic with the Tascam interface without using phantom power?

Please excuse my ignorance :D

Condenser microphones are active - they require power to operate. That power is provided by the phantom power, available from preamps or from standalone phantom power supplies.

Passive microphones (that is, most ribbons and dynamic mics) do not require power, so phantom is switched off when using these.

So, with the Tascam, leave the phantom power OFF when using the ribbon mic.

Paul

Artur - the maker of the DIYAC RM-5 ribbon mic suggested exactly the same - that I should try the Tascam first and if it's no good, then he recommended:

FetHead - tritonaudio

I knew there was another device people went on about. Yeah the fethead essentially does the same thing as the cloudlifter by boosting the signal.

What I'm confused about is what phantom power exactly is. Would using the mic with the Tascam require the use of phantom power.....? There is a switch on there, which allows phantom power to be switched on or off......

Can I use the mic with the Tascam interface without using phantom power?

Please excuse my ignorance :D

Right, long story short, all condenser mics and some (and i mean you could count them on two hands) dynamic and ribbon mic's require a voltage through them to make them work. The easiest way to get this power to them is to send it along the same mic cable that carries the signal so a lot of preamps have a "+48v" or "Phantom Power" switch which turns the power on and sends if down the cable.

Now, ribbon mic's, as we've said, are notoriously fragile. One thing they really do not like is phantom power going through them as it can put tension on the ribbon and, in the worst case scenario, can actually cause the ribbon to snap. However, nowadays ribbon mic's are slightly more robust than they once were and the main issue is if you plug a ribbon mic into a preamp when the phantom power is already turned on. If the mic is plugged in and then you turn the phantom power on, the mic should be ok, but to be on the safe side it's just best not to use phantom power with a ribbon mic.

Now, looking at the Tascam, by the looks of it the switch turns on phantom power to both mic preamps at the same time. If you were just using the one ribbon mic then there'd be no problem in simply making sure the phantom power is turned off and plugging the mic in. However, it could cause an issue if you wanted to plug in a ribbon mic and and condenser mic at the same time. The condenser mic needs phantom power to work, whereas the ribbon mic really does not like phantom power. If this situation occurs, then you have a couple of choices. Either, as i said, just make sure the ribbon mic is plugged before you turn the phantom power on, or, to play it safe, you could pick up a separate phantom power box just to use on the condenser mic and leave the switch on the tascam well alone. Or just use the ribbon mic on it's own.

With all that in mind, now to clear up the final thing and, in part, undo everything i've just said; The Fethead also needs phantom power to work, and also acts as a buffer between the mic and the preamp so the phantom power doesn't reach the mic. This would mean, if you wanted to use a ribbon mic with the Fethead via the tascam, you would need the phantom power switch turned on to power the Fethead. However, as i said earlier, the best practice would still be to plug in the mic first and then turn on the phantom power.

*Sigh* Well, so much for keeping a long story short (sorry), but i hope that covers all the bases :)

The forgotten ribbon mic...

I have a pair of Avantone ribbon mics ($259 each USD) and have been very happy with them. Avantone gets passed over a lot, but they really make stellar stuff.

I have a pair of Avantone ribbon mics ($259 each USD) and have been very happy with them. Avantone gets passed over a lot, but they really make stellar stuff.

:thumbs up: I'm a HUGE fan of Avantone mic's. I've got a CK7 and bought one for work as well, and my next purchase will either be the CV12 or a pair of CK1's. They're just awesome!

So - I'm thinking of getting the SE 1XR, partly because it's a lot cheaper than the others and also because it seems to combine some of the benefits of both condenser and ribbon mics and is actually states in the description that it is suitable for woodwind, whereas some of the other mics don't. Am just hoping it's not a case of 'you get what you pay for', as this mic is quite cheap.....but I guess, as was mentioned before, I can try the 7 day free loan and hopefully take it back if I don't like it, or sell it on on ebay.

Think I may be close to coming to a decision!

Also, going to check soundonsound on Thursday, as they will reveal their reviews of ribbon mics then!

Last edited:
I have recorded my flutes (both C flute and Alto flute) with a Golden Age R1 Mk II ribbon mic and a Shure sm57. Neither was totally satisfactory, but of the two the Shure was easier to position. The ribbon mic captured too much 'breath' and the recorded flute tracks took quite a bit of manipulation to reduce it.

Good luck in your search.

I used a Royer 122 ribbon mic on this recording, it was a live (all instruments at the same time) - I chose the 122 not only for the bidirectional pattern (to minimize bleed) but also for the natural capture - smooth high but fat lowmid without the mud.

hth.

Just went to a shop to try out the SE X1R and was as wonderful as expected. I am now the proud owner. It was the last one too, as they have now been discontinued!

Will post recordings soon.

Thanks all for your input :D

Just went to a shop to try out the SE X1R and was as wonderful as expected. I am now the proud owner.

Cool, we shall await some recordings :thumbs up:

It was the last one too, as they have now been discontinued!

:O NOOOOOOOO! This made me gasp IRL and made me head straight to google to double check and, sure enough, a couple of the stores now have it as discontinued and a couple of others have it as "available on request"! That sucks! Tbf i stand by what i've said before; they really didn't advertise it and i can't help but feel they waited too long to drop the price, especially when you consider the LDC counterpart started at £120 and isn't far off that now. The only upside is that 1) i may be able to get one extra cheap now and 2) on another note the sEZ3300a is available again for £199 new!!!

:O NOOOOOOOO! This made me gasp IRL and made me head straight to google to double check and, sure enough, a couple of the stores now have it as discontinued and a couple of others have it as "available on request"! That sucks! Tbf i stand by what i've said before; they really didn't advertise it and i can't help but feel they waited too long to drop the price, especially when you consider the LDC counterpart started at £120 and isn't far off that now. The only upside is that 1) i may be able to get one extra cheap now and 2) on another note the sEZ3300a is available again for £199 new!!!

Yeah, also a few weeks ago, I'm sure they were going for £89 but I could only find them for £149 just now.....strange!

About them not selling - might also be to do with the fact that ribbon mics still aren't that popular, although they're starting to make a comeback......

Yeah, also a few weeks ago, I'm sure they were going for £89 but I could only find them for £149 just now.....strange!

Ummm, stil £89 here but everywhere else is £149 :)

About them not selling - might also be to do with the fact that ribbon mics still aren't that popular, although they're starting to make a comeback......

Yeah, i think the vast majority of home recordists still fear ribbons as 1) they are super fragile and 2) you need a half decent preamp to get clean recordings with one. Plus they tend be much less versatile than your average LDC and many HR's just want a couple of "do-it-all" mics.

Back