Said goodbye to all my sm57's

Tomm Williams

After 5 years of using the 57 in various roles, I eliminated them from my inventory. To my ear, the EV N/D 308 does everything the 57 can do but better. Easier to position, sounds not a little better but MUCH better (IMO) and can be found all day long under $100 each. I initially bought half a dozen of them to replace my fragile and cumbersome Senn 421's for horns. After many, many gigs, I just can't find a use for 57's anymore. They went bye bye. Think I might pick up about four more of these little EV's.

Or incase the POTUS calls round. ;)

Yeah! I forgot all about that.

What first came to mind is the tread I started last festival season when I did a whole music festival with nothing but a few dozen 57s to mic up all of the bands.

You'll have to try that if you get enough 308s in your microphone locker, Tomm.

Yeah, Henry I cannot argue with those who love the 57. But like any of us, I have to rely on what my ears tell me. In addition to the 308's, I also have a few Beyer m201's and Shure SM59's. Those 57's didn't have a chance.

To paraphrase a wise mic expert: Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your need until you find out it's not!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Sometimes it's more about having choices than having only "good sounding" mics. I'd keep one or two 57s around (says the guy with no SM57s in his mic case).

A few year back, I traded my one and only 57 for my one and only 58!! :rolleyes: :D As DogBreath would say: Troof!!! (Where is that guy??)

I'm one of those that just doesn't like the 57/58s much. But I need to start using a 57 so I can use my talkbox. Although I prefer an EV ND the tube doesn't work well on a ball type mic.

But I really find the Shures dull sounding.
Maybe the Beta 57?

While I will be the first person to agree that solo'd up there are many mics that 'sound' better than a 57, but there are very few that fit as easily into a busy mix of rattling bass and nuclear guitars. I have 6 EV N/D's and love the top end on them thats missing from the 57. But when it comes down to recording guitars ESPECIALLY a combo type open back amp, give me the 57 with a Royer any day and it'll sound like it sounds in the room to the naked earbone.

I'm one of those that just doesn't like the 57/58s much.

But I really find the Shures dull sounding.

That's my feeling too. I have a couple of 57s just to have them....but I think I used them only a couple of times on guitar cabs. They just sound dead/dull. Now maybe if you point them right at the coil, there's some life there, but then I get that nasty coil edginess.
Same thing with the Sennheiser 609 mics.....have a couple, tried them on guitar cabs, hated them on guitar cabs.
With both the 57 and 609 I always felt I needed to add another mic to get the sound I wanted.

There are at least three other mics in my locker that sound way better on guitar cabs....Cascade Fat Head ribbon, AKG D1000E and the Sennheiser MD-441U (not the 421).

SM57....great mics that has never changed since they came out with them what...35 yrs ago??? Cant beat them for the price and the longevity of them for SHURE !!!

Back