Tracking With Headphones

BDiNkY30

May seem like a crazy question but, when you sit and track a guitar or a bass etc. with headphones on how do you sit comfortably? tryin to see if anyone has any tricks get this cord comfortably out of the way while you track. I know it sounds weird but id appreciate some feedback.

when you sit and track a guitar or a bass etc. with headphones on how do you sit comfortably?

Usually cross-legged, with my cock hanging over my guitar, muffling the E-string.

Is that what you wanted to know?

tryin to see if anyone has any tricks get this cord comfortably out of the way.

I have 20' guitar cord and a 25' headphone extension cord that I combined into a "harness" by using some heat-shrink tubing rings every couple of feet.

I made sure that at the end I plug into the guitar...the headphone extension jack ended up just a bit below the guitar plug, that way when I plug in the headphones, the plug can go in without jamming up against the guitar.

I also have headphones (Fostex) with detachable cables. So I remove the stock cable which is like 12' long, and I made a couple of short, 4' cables for the headphones when using them with my guitar. That way, there is only just enough headphone cable to reach behind the guitar and plug into the harness...and I don't have a pile of cable hanging.
I guess you can also just fold up the excess headphone cable and use a Velcro tie if you don't have detachable cables.

Anyway...when I'm tracking guitar, the headphone extension cable and guitar cable move as one, with no excess headphone cable hanging down by my feet and getting in the way. I can move about freely and I don't get all tangled up between two sets of cables. :cool:

I'm not a guitarist myself but, when recording somebody playing, I give them a "coily" headphone extension and run the cable down their back, not front. If they move a lot, a bull dog clip (or big washing peg) attaching the cable to their belt (with enough slack between head and belt to allow movement) can help too.

A pile of coily headphone extension cables was one of the better investments I made--they get used all the time.

I have 20' guitar cord and a 25' headphone extension cord that I combined into a "harness" by using some heat-shrink tubing rings every couple of feet.

I made sure that at the end I plug into the guitar...the headphone extension jack ended up just a bit below the guitar plug, that way when I plug in the headphones, the plug can go in without jamming up against the guitar.

I also have headphones (Fostex) with detachable cables. So I remove the stock cable which is like 12' long, and I made a couple of short, 4' cables for the headphones when using them with my guitar. That way, there is only just enough headphone cable to reach behind the guitar and plug into the harness...and I don't have a pile of cable hanging.
I guess you can also just fold up the excess headphone cable and use a Velcro tie if you don't have detachable cables.

Anyway...when I'm tracking guitar, the headphone extension cable and guitar cable move as one, with no excess headphone cable hanging down by my feet and getting in the way. I can move about freely and I don't get all tangled up between two sets of cables. :cool:

Seriously??? You go through all that trouble??? :eek:

I run the headphone chord either behind the guitar (between me and the guitar), or over my shoulder and down my back.
This keeps the chord from touching the strings of the guitar.
Either way I choose, I leave a little slack so it doesn't pull when I move my head.
I sit on the couch usually, but sometimes I use a chair.

Let me know if you have any other technical questions that I can help you with.

Oops, by "I import beautiful women to hold the cord for me and to inspire a great performance."
I meant: "I run the headphone cord underneath my shirt"

Forgot to mention...toward the other end of the harness, the two cables are not connected together for the last few feet, that way each can go to it's specific hook-up point, as rarely will the amp and headphone connections be next to each other. You can decide how far apart depending on your needs.

Oh...don't mind the comedy responses...we all get bored around here from time to time. It's nothing personal. :)

Oh...don't mind the comedy responses...we all get bored around here from time to time. It's nothing personal. :)
Exactly. Mine might have been a little too graphic I admit. But wasn't meant to be offensive. :cool:

Thank you to all who took me seriously. I'm glad most of you can act as adults in this forum.
To be honest with you, your question is hard to take seriously. You yourself recognized it could be taken as a crazy question
May seem like a crazy question
and weird too.
I know it sounds weird
So your jibe at those that had some lighthearted fun with a question that the asker even knew was somewhat off the beaten track is mightilly unfair. The solution hardly requires a Phd in philosophy and abstract thought !

Back