DP-24 - I love it (so far)

hi i am a noob here, i was jsut about ready to get the 2488 until i saw the dp 24
so is the dp 24 better than 2488 and worth it?
i plan on using the dp 24 to track my e drums in my garage and track jam sessions and other stuff.
my big question is storage and ability to transfer raw tracks to computer and dump them into a pro tools multi track session for edit/effect/mix/mastering
is the dp 24 cool for doing all of this?? worth it or should i get a 2488?
thx all, great site. dig it!!

hi i am a noob here, i was jsut about ready to get the 2488 until i saw the dp 24
so is the dp 24 better than 2488 and worth it?
i plan on using the dp 24 to track my e drums in my garage and track jam sessions and other stuff.
my big question is storage and ability to transfer raw tracks to computer and dump them into a pro tools multi track session for edit/effect/mix/mastering
is the dp 24 cool for doing all of this?? worth it or should i get a 2488?
thx all, great site. dig it!!

For basic tracking, I'd imagine the two units would function similarly. The benefit of the DP-24 is that it records to solid-state media, so you are at less risk of damaging the unit by moving it around. The 2488's use a standard mechanical hard drive which is much more susceptible to damage from moving the unit around. Also, I've read that you can simply remove the SD card from the DP-24 and, using an SD card reader, transfer tracks directly to PC without performing a lengthy export process. I could be wrong on that one.

Hello,

first of all, sorry for my bad english. :o

I bought the DP-24 as upgrade of the Neo. I see the DP ambivalent.

The DP-24 looks nice and is smaller than the Neo. The new color display brings fun, but it reflects very much and if you don't look exactly from front you will not see any details. At this point is the Neo not so beauty, but also visible also from a side. The new colored knobs for effects and eq are great.
Also nice the 8 xlr inputs with phantom power in 4er groups.

Anyway, some features of the Neo I'm missing very much:

1) No way to rename tracks and virtual tracks. That feature I use on the Neo very often.

2) No way to rename marks. It's called always mark1, mark2 etc. On the Neo I can rename it and have a library for often used names like "chorus", "solo" and so on for easy use.

3) On the DP-24 I can use 8 dynamics effects at once, but only 2 if a guitar effect is used. The Neo can work with 8 simultan dynamics or 4 together with the guitar effect. That's a step backwards, I think.

4) The dynamics can assign only to the inputs. The Neo can use the dynamics also on the tracks, and then it can be per bounce printed on a new track. So I can record dry and compress it later at home. Of course, it is possible to use a effect aux pre-send per cable and bring it back into a input for recording it again compressed.

5) The virtual tracks are limited to 8 per track. The Neo offers 250 virtual track and this can be used like I want. I could use 100 virtual track as vocal takes and move them to any track.

6) The missing digital in and outputs of the dp-24 isn't a problem for me. I don't use it.

I'm wonder about the use of the record-button. For recording you need only press this button once. Not record and play simultan. This is the first multitracker with such a handling for me. I have to be wary of it.

A very good point is the working with the sd-card. Remove it from the dp-24 and put it in a card reader and you have all the tracks as wave format. Very easy and fast!

However, I'm happy to own a neo too. Would I forced to give up a machine, I would sell the dp-24 and keep the neo.

Sorry for my english again!

Best Regards from Berlin
Peter

Bill, btw: My dealer told me about some last minute firmware chaos by tascam. Can you tell me your firmware-version?
My version: 1.01 0043

Thx
Peter

Hello,

first of all, sorry for my bad english. :o

I bought the DP-24 as upgrade of the Neo. I see the DP ambivalent.

The DP-24 looks nice and is smaller than the Neo. The new color display brings fun, but it reflects very much and if you don't look exactly from front you will not see any details. At this point is the Neo not so beauty, but also visible also from a side. The new colored knobs for effects and eq are great.
Also nice the 8 xlr inputs with phantom power in 4er groups.

Anyway, some features of the Neo I'm missing very much:

1) No way to rename tracks and virtual tracks. That feature I use on the Neo very often.

2) No way to rename marks. It's called always mark1, mark2 etc. On the Neo I can rename it and have a library for often used names like "chorus", "solo" and so on for easy use.

3) On the DP-24 I can use 8 dynamics effects at once, but only 2 if a guitar effect is used. The Neo can work with 8 simultan dynamics or 4 together with the guitar effect. That's a step backwards, I think.

4) The dynamics can assign only to the inputs. The Neo can use the dynamics also on the tracks, and then it can be per bounce printed on a new track. So I can record dry and compress it later at home. Of course, it is possible to use a effect aux pre-send per cable and bring it back into a input for recording it again compressed.

5) The virtual tracks are limited to 8 per track. The Neo offers 250 virtual track and this can be used like I want. I could use 100 virtual track as vocal takes and move them to any track.

6) The missing digital in and outputs of the dp-24 isn't a problem for me. I don't use it.

I'm wonder about the use of the record-button. For recording you need only press this button once. Not record and play simultan. This is the first multitracker with such a handling for me. I have to be wary of it.

A very good point is the working with the sd-card. Remove it from the dp-24 and put it in a card reader and you have all the tracks as wave format. Very easy and fast!

However, I'm happy to own a neo too. Would I forced to give up a machine, I would sell the dp-24 and keep the neo.

Sorry for my english again!

Best Regards from Berlin
Peter

Hi Peter!

Thanks for the comparison....I was really trying to love the DP-24, but ultimately, you're right, in a direct comparison, there really are some annoying and downright disappointing design and operating issues with the DP-24.

It really is disappointing that a considered comparison with the 'ancient' Neo design leaves the DP-24 floundering.

Let's hope for some firmware upgrades to redress the balance....because I still want to love the DP-24.

It's with the song.....when you load it, it loads with it......The Master will play everytime you hit mixdown and then MASTER.....keep in mind though if you (like my first) do a project in 24 bit 48 HZ and Master It you CANNOT burn it to CD.....16 bit will show up as a MASTER FILE when you hit CD and then WRITE....

You can Master at 24 bit and still play it the same way....when you hook the DP24 to a computer you can and play see your MASTER at 24 bit.......

The Master always play with the song in MASTER mode regardless of 24 bit or 16 bit.....
Sounds like the 2488 - however, I do my mastering on a PC so I need a way to get the master tracks over, preferrably by USB. With the 2488, it was necessary to clone the master tracks to a pair of live channels then export from there. I was hoping that the DP24 master tracks would be directly accessable and I could avoid freeing up a pair of channel tracks. Thanks - Bill

Sounds like the 2488 - however, I do my mastering on a PC so I need a way to get the master tracks over, preferrably by USB. With the 2488, it was necessary to clone the master tracks to a pair of live channels then export from there. I was hoping that the DP24 master tracks would be directly accessable and I could avoid freeing up a pair of channel tracks. Thanks - Bill

The MASTER is in and of itself....it does NOT need to go to 2 channels......We just opened the folder in the computer and it was there.....

While I don't know the NEO, I am at a loss why someone would feel the need to upgrade to a DP 24.....it's my understanding that the NEO is a great machine....However, they are of the same lineage or rather design....you gain some things, you lose some things with every new generation (just like life)

These machines are a means to an end.....period

The latest and greatest is not the magic ELIXER.......You are

Certainly each machine is perfectly capable of giving you stellar results....I would be perfectly content with either...

The only reason I got the DP 24 over the NEO Price was within $150....But the deal clincher is that a Color Screen is mandatory for my eyesight....The screen is absolutely magnificent.....I guess the SD cards make it less volatile than a drive...

Bottom line....If your NEO works, keep it......if it's broken down or on it's last legs and you love this medium, purchase the DP24....

It all comes down to workflow.....After 4 weeks with my DP24 I got my workflow down.....(BTW....I LOVE that you only have to hit record)....

Neo owners you got your workflow down, so stay there.....Besides a true upgrade would be a product that leaves your old gear way behind....

BTW I just purchased a USED Korg Triton Extreme.....I know the board and knowledge of your instruments is more important than the latest and greatest gear.....

For NEO owners I would keep your multitrack and spend the upgrade money ($699) on a great microphone, or whatever your current studio needs.....

I'm loving this DP24 just like you love your NEO......Great Gear

I agree with SteveAlton - But I had a different incentive. I was using a 2488 Mk1 ever since it's release. Lost it in the September floods and had to replace (upgrade). I was not interested in a used one so my choices were a Neo at $799 or a DP24 at $699. The price difference was an incentive for me since my 2488 was NOT covered by flood insurance. One of the biggest attractions for me was the SD card media which effectively means unlimited storage. At $15 for an 8gb card, you can buy as many as needed and not worry about the horribly long backup procedures on the 2488. Also no more long waits while the master tracks are converted to FAT before they can be downloaded to a PC. Lots of good new stuff for my procedures but (so far) no issues except the difficulty I had with the built-in effects. And that's under control now. Just my experiences - yours may be different. - Bill

The MASTER is in and of itself....it does NOT need to go to 2 channels......We just opened the folder in the computer and it was there.....

Thanks - I just realized that I haven't created a Master yet. Explains why I couldn't find one. Now hopefully it will be a stereo wav file. Otherwise I'll have to resort to the old process of exporting left and right wav files and pasting them back together with CoolEdit or Audacity. (pain in the neck). Bill

" While I don't know the NEO, I am at a loss why someone would feel the need to upgrade to a DP 24.....it's my understanding that the NEO is a great machine "

I'd certainly agree with that.

However, from my perspective (I don't own a Neo) it IS disappointing that, basically, many of the benefits of the....10 year old design !....of the 2488 have been lost, rather than improved upon.....I certainly expected more from the first 'new' product of this type from Tascam in a decade!

....but, ultimately, I guess what I'm REALLY annoyed about is the fact that there are really no alternatives (other than the now defunct Neo) to the DP-24 in the 'high quality' standalone...sod the pc, let's twiddle some knobs....yet affordable....24 track market.

Alas & alac... for a Yamaha or Roland big track!

I still believe the big boys have got it wrong, there's PLENTY of peeps who want knobs to twiddle, instead of a mouse to click, on endless menu systems....I've been there n done that.

I WANT KNOBS TO TWIDDLE....damnit!

Last edited:
....I probably should mention that I've recently sold my Zoom R24....which I also tried to love.....but I just couldn't.

....not enough knobs to twiddle!

I WANT KNOBS TO TWIDDLE....damnit!

Hey GDUB......

I too was considering the Zoom, but it looked like a toy....the real killer was it had NO MIDI IN or OUT......I have a Triton Extreme that I program drums, play piano, bass, strings etc on...plus I lay Acoustic Guitar Tracks.....

With the DP 24 it slaves like a champ, I can record on my inboard Triton Extreme Sequencer & play to Guide vocal tracks, Guitar etc....sweet, sweet, sweet...

I think the other huge difference in the DP 24 is there is a dedicated 7 knob EQ (did you hear that 7 knobs) 1 Pan knob, Send 1 , Send 2, & 2 Master Send knobs.....

You just hit select button for whatever track and you got 12 knobs per track.....

I'm on my 2nd recording and I gotta be honest, I couldn't of done this in the studio because of time pressure.....I layered 4 part harmony MYSELF yesterday.....plus it doesn't sound like me singing BGVs for myself....I added 2 tracks of my wife and it sounds like I have a choir behind me.......

So I did something I never did before....The DP24 is just flat out intuitive.....Easy to make music on which is what I personally want....,

But GDUB there are knobs....

Hi steve!

The Zoom actually has decent sound quality..... certainly good enough to do good quality demo recordings (if you're prepared to work at it) and it's a great portable recording device, with 8 simultanious XLR recording (in theory!) ....but....

1) It is somewhat flimsy (toylike) you'd need a flight case if you wanted to take it 'on the road'....and even then.....
2) The preamps are a bit, er....pants!
3) Oh lord no! Not another sub menu!.....Sob!
4) Why is the darn thing not doing what I want it to!??.....(See number 3)
5) Metering is inadequate.

However, you gotta give Zoom kudos for the quality at the price.....and some people love the R24.

Furthermore, the R24 has a secret weapon: A built in G2nu guitar FX processor.......the presets need tweaking....but, roll off the gain and treble and start building the patches again and ....bingo! Excellent guitar tones are available. FX are mostly good. The delays are particularly noteworthy.

But, alas, overall, twas not for me......I didn't enjoy the 'workflow' of the R24.

Last edited:
......and yes! You're right! The DP-24 has got knobs.....and they're the right kind of knobs too! Big! Shiny! EQ-liscious!

....just how I like 'em! :)

I reckon, despite my grumbles, I'll be buying a DP-24 in the near future.....like I said.....what other choice is there in this category ?!

......and that screen is kinda cool too!

Knobs and buttons and color, oh my! Yet....even the 2488 Mk II and Neo models changed from the original 2488 Mk I (which I'm still using to this day)...biggest example is the loss of the built in MIDI based drum patterns. For laying down a song, it's quick and painless to create a drum track to play against on the Mk I, and then (when your friend, the drummer is available) simply replace them with actual drum tracks later on. Yes, it's somewhat backwards in terms of the normal scheme of things, but there are many times when I want to put down a new idea, Steve isn't going to be available for a couple weeks, and so I dial up a pattern and off I go! More than once, Steve got idea for the tracks that he eventually put down from the patterns I dialed up. No, the Mk I doesn't do mastering, as some of the later iterations do, but I take my finished mixes out of the 2488, bring them into Sound Forge Pro and use iZotope's Ozone for my mastering...I've created a couple presets for a start point, but always "season to taste", based on the song at hand.
I am absolutely on the fence regards the DP-24....I have the funds available, yet still hesitate because my 2488 is still humming along perfectly, and I know it intimately, and I have a comfortable workflow in place. If I get the DP-24, I'd wind up boxing a perfectly good 2488 and storing it on a shelf (I wouldn't want to sell it), and then I'd have to revamp my workflow to accomidate the changes in the DP-24. So here I remain, on the fence, grateful it isn't raining out.....

Knobs and buttons and color, oh my! Yet....even the 2488 Mk II and Neo models changed from the original 2488 Mk I (which I'm still using to this day)...biggest example is the loss of the built in MIDI based drum patterns. For laying down a song, it's quick and painless to create a drum track to play against on the Mk I

I am absolutely on the fence regards the DP-24....I have the funds available, yet still hesitate because my 2488 is still humming along perfectly, and I know it intimately, and I have a comfortable workflow in place.

This is a case in point, you love your gear, you know it well.....Since you have funds, I would spend the $699 On something my studio lacks....

Most people skimp on mics.....you'd get a great mic & preamp for $699.....wherever your gear is weakest upgrade that....

$699 to upgrade your Home Studio can go a long way

Well, that sucks. MusiciansFriend doesn't have the NEO listed anymore. Only the DP.

Tascam has made a mistake as far as I am concerned. A terrible decision.

Relax....I got my DP24 from American Musical Supply on their 3 payment plan.....if you got $183 you can go RIGHT now and order yourself a NEO.....You pay $183 2 more times on each succeeding month.....NO CREDIT CHECK......$549 total plus a $3.95 charge....no tax, no shipping...

Love my DP 24 now you go get your NEO and make some great music........

Back