Where to put desk in a rectangular room?

Jovi

Alright my room is pretty big. Dimesons are 10x17 ft

On the longer side of the rectangle, I have a door that enters, and on the other long side of the rectangle I have a long ray of windows, but there more on the higher end of the wall, meaning they touch the ceiling and are only going about 2 feet down from the ceiling.

Anyways, im not sure weather to put the desk on the side with the windows, OR one of the shorter sides of the rectangle? Somewhere here I read that it's better to put it on the longer side of the room. Thoughts ?

Last edited:
What are the dimensions? Definitely setup centered on one of the short walls. Back from the wall 3' is a good start if you have the room.

What are the dimensions? Definitely setup centered on one of the short walls. Back from the wall 3' is a good start if you have the room.

Sorry for got to leave that info !

Dimensons are 10 ft x 17 ft .
Alot bigger then the average home studio recording room I think.

Your head: 6.5' from the short wall. Assuming the fronts of the speakers are around 2' from the wall, you'll have a 4'-ish triangle.

Broadband trapping -- Lots of it. I'm actually in a space not much bigger than that which was wholly uncontrollable till around 18 (2'x4'x4") broadband panels. Now "well controlled" with ~36 traps.

Sorry what do you mean by my head being 6.5' from the short wall ?

Hope Massive doesn't mind me jumping in...

He means your actual head; it should be 6.5 ft from the wall when mixing and listening to your monitors . Ideal distance is 38% of the length of the room. So, where you are sitting should be 6.5 ft away from the wall. Then the monitors should be 2 ft away from the wall. And they should be 4 ft apart from each other to form an isosceles triangle with the theoretical apex meeting just behind your head. That would be called the sweet spot.

hth

Last edited:
Hope Massive doesn't mind me jumping in...

He means your actual head; it should be 6.5 ft from the wall when mixing and listening to your monitors . Ideal distance is 38% of the length of the room. So, where you are sitting should be 6.5 ft away from the wall. Then the monitors should be 2 ft away from the wall. And they should be 4 ft apart from each other to form an isosceles triangle with the theoretical apex meeting just behind your head. That would be called the sweet spot.

hth

6.5 ft if I put my desk on the shorter side, right?
Even that seems odd .... my desk would be akwardly closer to the middle of my room? :P idk, im still thinking of putting it against the LONGER side, that way I can catch the spot of first reflection on BOTH sides, cuz if I put my desk/monitors it on the shorter side the spot of the room, spot of first reflection on one side would be hitting the window. It has a curtain covering it at all times pretty much, but id rather use foam. The other spot would probably be the door .... but I could put foam on it and I keep it closed anyways .

But then you will have direct reflections from like 3' behind you. Not good. Trust, setup your monitors 2' from the short wall (centered), and fire them down the length of the room. Treat the first reflection points, including ceiling above.

They hit on diagonal so id say it would be 5-6 feet, because the waves have got quite a bit to travel as the dimesons of the room are long. But yeah, I think im going to do as you said.
How do I do the ceiling ? Does mirror trick work? And would that be neccesary if I got a thick carpet on the floor?

I don't mind putting it on the ceiling, im getting LOADS of foam for free so might as well make the best use of it :D
gunna need to get bass traps somehow... : /

They hit on diagonal so id say it would be 5-6 feet, because the waves have got quite a bit to travel as the dimesons of the room are long. But yeah, I think im going to do as you said.
How do I do the ceiling ? Does mirror trick work? And would that be neccesary if I got a thick carpet on the floor?

I don't mind putting it on the ceiling, im getting LOADS of foam for free so might as well make the best use of it :D
gunna need to get bass traps somehow... : /

Jon Bon,

Carpeting and foam are not the way to go. They won't help.

Ideally, you want a hard floor like hard-wood or cement, and proper material on the walls and ceiling. Foam MIGHT come in handy but only after you have all the bass trapping and broad-band trapping that you need. Just using foam will kill all your high's and make everything sound really box-y.

I haven't seen one studio that doesn't have foam in it though ?
And yeah Im going to get bass traps aswell.

I haven't seen one studio that doesn't have foam in it though ?
And yeah Im going to get bass traps aswell.

You sure about that? It might look like foam. If you're talking about spot treating a few spots, yeah maybe.

Jon Bon,

Carpeting and foam are not the way to go. They won't help.

Ideally, you want a hard floor like hard-wood or cement, and proper material on the walls and ceiling. Foam MIGHT come in handy but only after you have all the bass trapping and broad-band trapping that you need. Just using foam will kill all your high's and make everything sound really box-y.

What is the primary difference in construction between bass traps and broadband traps?

What is the primary difference in construction between bass traps and broadband traps?

As far as I know, it's the thickness mainly. You usually want 4" or more for bass traps. Broad-band traps can be 2" thick. There may be other differences that I'm not aware of, but thickness is the main difference.

I'm not trying to bring you down, dude. I gave you my honest opinion about what I think of "acoustic foam" for room treatment. Showing a Youtube video of some dude that has no idea what room treatment is won't change my mind. He's right about one thing, though, when he says "they really suck up the sound". :D

I thought I said this before, but I guess I didn't. The thing about acoustics is that 99% of the problem in 99% of rooms is bass frequencies. Foam isn't dense enough to control bass frequencies. It only kills your highs and mids. So, you then make bass 100% of the problem. Of course, when you put foam up, the sound changes, so you might think "wow, it really deadened the sound so it must be good". But all it did was kill your highs and mids, so it's a bad "dead " sound.

I'm not trying to bring you down, dude. I gave you my honest opinion about what I think of "acoustic foam" for room treatment. Showing a Youtube video of some dude that has no idea what room treatment is won't change my mind. He's right about one thing, though, when he says "they really suck up the sound". :D

But isn't that what I want? The foam sucks up the sound, therefore when I'm mixing I don't have bouncing off my walls ?

Back