How important are scales and theory in your guitar playing?

Do you use theory and scales in your guitar playing?

• Total voters
Hi all,

I've found that "Theory" isn't just some complicated geeky stuff that enables professors to talk to each other, it's more like a very useful set of guidelines that can actually speed up the process of experimentation and learning. I'm a big fan of learning by ear, improvising, and not following a curriculum, but I've still found all the theory I've soaked up to be very useful. It's not restrictive in any way, it's just a handy set of tools to be used if and when I feel like it.

In fact we all know some theory. Few of us wouldn't know what's meant by a "chord" even if we might not know the formulae for all of them. Most of us know the names of the open strings on our guitars, what's meant by things like 'timing' and 'tempo', what the general idea of a scale is, and stuff like that. And that's all part of music theory. Some people might not realise how much 'theory' they already know and see "Theory" as a bunch of weird complex stuff that they don't want to know about. But I see it as simply a steady climb from not knowing much about how things can work to knowing a bunch of very useful stuff.

Of course, a good set of ears and a whole stack of experience is the best thing you can have, but it's not a contest or a choice between one or the other, it's an added bonus. Having some knowledge of music theory in your kit is more like putting a supercharger on your motor and getting there a bit faster... :)

I use my theory knowledge all the time - I might use it to quickly work out some alternative chord fingering to find one that's easier to play, or sits on a different part of the neck, or has the same notes but a different voicing, or to quickly transpose into another key, or whatever. I also use it to help me read and write music. I avoided learning music notation for years, but now that I can read sheet music it's been great to have access to a vast library of written music, simply because I can now read the language. I can also write songs (or parts) using notation, and a very handy skill it is too - I can even use it to cheat and write something which a computer will play for me while I play another part. I can also use it to discuss music with various friends, and just to speed things up in any number of ways.

I don't really see how people who don't know much theory can have any reason to diss it? How can you put down what you don't know? I've been ignorant AND I've been educated, and I can't really think of any occasions where I thought that ignorance of anything was that much of an asset. ;)

Go on people - try some more - it won't hurt you. Honestly. the real question isn't "Should I be bothered learning any theory" it's "Where can I find somebody who won't piss me off and confuse me by making it sound more complicated than it really is"... Go for it. :D

Chris

A lot of people who know all the notes are still average pickers. Big difference between knowing the nerdy side of music and rocking hard :D

I never said they couldn't. I'm just saying I've met a fair share who know guitar in theory, but can't play for shit. lol

Yes, he's a real nerd.

I never said they couldn't. I'm just saying I've met a fair share who know guitar in theory, but can't play for shit. lol

Yes, he's a real nerd.

Well at least if someone knows basic Pentatonic patterns they can "Keep Up". I have played with people who dont know anything except the cover songs of their heroes and they are useless in any kind of inprovisational jam. They just seem to musically "Step on everyones toes"!

VP

You gotta know the rules before you can break 'em!
I disagree.

But I agree with, "A lot of people who know all the notes and scales can rock with the best of them."

I'd also agree with, had it been posted, "sounding good has very little to do with what you know, unless you're one of the musicians who has had creative doors pried open for them by their knowledge of scales, arpeggios, phrasing, harmony, etc. But that's all just a foot in the door. After that, it's a matter of working to get the feel, then forgetting it all and just playing." heh.

Scales, ear training, theory, analysis of musical form, etc., is a really good way to get further along in your ability to express what you want musically than you would have been able to with your raw instincts alone.

It's different for everyone.

I'll let you know how much it helps when I get there. But I basically have a vast understanding of scales and modes, it's just I can't tell you exactly what I'm playing. If we were to jam though I would be able to follow by ear and find the right key by ear :D

Some keys are related to each other, so "By Ear" can be difficult. If I am playing with someone who is "Key Illiterate" I will determine what chords he is playing and then calculate the key. Trying to find it by ear can be hit or miss.

VP

But I basically have a vast understanding of scales and modes, it's just I can't tell you exactly what I'm playing.
And therein lies the key. Part of the joy of playing is not in studiously being able to tell everyone exactly what you're doing as you do it, but doing it instinctively but with the knowledge you have providing the foundation. It's a bit like driving. You just do it instinctively after a while but underpinning that is a knowledge of the theory of driving a vehicle. You know it but you don't consciously think about it.

My biggest issue is trying to learn sight reading and memorizing things. If I don't find something really interesting I have a hard time keeping my attention on it. They need to make a fun version of learning all that stuff LOL

Some keys are related to each other, so "By Ear" can be difficult. If I am playing with someone who is "Key Illiterate" I will determine what chords he is playing and then calculate the key. Trying to find it by ear can be hit or miss.

VP

All keys can relate to each other in some way. We have only have 12 notes to work with.

VP
nah ..... it's easy. Once you know the chords there's no calculating to do. The key should be obvious.
And all keys are related to each other. That doesn't mean it's desirable but the relationship ios there nonetheless.

Back