MXL 603 mod

zbert

In the swamps of Jersey
I just got an email form MJ on his new MXL603 mod. Has anyone had this done yet? If so how does it sound? I had Michael mod my Octava 319 and it's a great souning mic now. There were no reviews on his site yet so I thought I'd ask here.
Thanks

His mod?

Some of us have done this kind of stuff years ago and shared.

Google 603 mods search at DIY the lab and Zanspark(sp) at yahoo.

Yes, its true the DIY community confirmed the validity of modifying the MXL 603. Many users of this mic (starting with Harvey Gerst who championed it many years ago - "... a flat out winner, folks...") recognized this mic has a very good-sounding capsule. Minor revisions notwithstanding, the fact remains the capsule is derived from the Neumann KM-84 and still sounds good. It feeds a transformless circuit based on the well-accepted Schoeps design - a design now near-universal in Chinese FET condenser mics (owing to Scott Dorsey's published accolades and tweaks of it) even though these mics use several different capsule types.

For folks who would rather spend their time playing or recording music instead of doing DIY R&D I offer a guaranteed, in-house modification service for this mic that responds beautifully to a little love.

Like my MK-012 mods, I have independent ideas (derived from extensive measurement and listening tests) about how best to upgrade this circuit via component type, component manufacturer, component value and topology changes to create results I find most euphonic. In fact, my work with microphone modification began when I was a protege of Dave Blackmer (dbx Inc. and Earthworks founder). He and I modified Panasonic electret condenser capsules together on my lab bench - these became the first capsules used in Earthworks Microphones prototypes in 1992. I owe a great debt of gratitude to Dave for the mentorship he provided starting in 1980 when I joined him. Many of my ideas regarding circuits and micro-acoustics derive from my fourteen year tenure with him developing patented pro audio products.

Oh, most of my knowledge-sharing around mic mods in general has been done on USENET's rec.audio.pro, here on homerecording, a bit at Recording Hacks, some at HomeTracked and lots over at www.TapeOp.com. While I do share a lot of my findings, a good deal of my OktavaMod research and development into tools, techniques, topology, parts, vendors, micro-acoustics and qualification of results in specific microphone models is proprietary and non-disclosable. In fact, OktavaMod R&D into capsule and capsule housing redesign is being carried out with the goal of offering new modifications to other small diaphragm mics. In the meantime, folks can search on my name here or click through the links above to find research, analysis and DIY tips I've shared over the years.

Last edited:
Just my $0.02-- I've had several mics modded by Michael Joly (and one that I got that was already modded by him for the original owner) and they are all excellent sounding mics that I'd match up against any of the other production mics of the same type I've had-- including some nice BLUE's (Kiwi, Mouse, Blueberry) that I've owned and others.

Just my $0.02-- I've had several mics modded by Michael Joly (and one that I got that was already modded by him for the original owner) and they are all excellent sounding mics that I'd match up against any of the other production mics of the same type I've had-- including some nice BLUE's (Kiwi, Mouse, Blueberry) that I've owned and others.

+1

Michael is top notch!

… many folks recognized this mic has a very good-sounding capsule (derived from the Neumann KM-84) and a solid circuit based on the well-accepted Schoeps design.
Com’mon, on the same manner, the 32mm Chinese capsules are derived from K67/K87… and we all know their value. As I wrote on another board, the first batch of MXL603 capsules was machined differently and indeed, was very good. After that they just started cutting corners. No wonder that the main complaint about MXL603s is lack of bass, and brittle sound. No circuit upgrade can cover that, so there is no need to mislead people. Besides, if we are talking about KM84 and Schoeps, their respective capsules were specifically designed and mated for SPECIFIC electronic CIRCUITS, so connecting a KM84 with Schoeps circuit is the same as Brad Pitt’s chin put with Angelina Joly’s lips, to make the result sexier.

Just that there are no any other questions here are two tracks in the same mic with the later stock capsule:

http://home.comcast.net/~markfuksman/MXLstock.wav

Vs. original one:

http://home.comcast.net/~markfuksman/MXLoriginalCapsule.wav

Like the MK-012 mods, I have my own ideas how best to upgrade the circuit via parts types, values and topology changes to create results I find euphonic…

Oh, most of my knowledge-sharing around mic mods has been done here on homerecording and over at www.TapeOp.com. People can search on my name to find advice I've offered

Sorry, Mr. Joly, a simple search on homerecording, tapeop, and groupdiy forums reveals that in last five years, you had NOTHING to offer in MXL603, as well as in Nady SCM-800, MXL 990 or MCA SP-1 microphone modifications and there is no single post of yours on those. All homework for you did Gus, Zapsnack, Flatpicker, and sincerely yours, among others.
And since you mention the MK012, I never heard anything about topology changes you are talking about, let alone the value changes—in this case the whole homework for you was done by Gus and Scott Dorsey.

Getting back to the topic of MXL603, I believe, there are only two sensible approaches, which are:
1) Modify the capsule itself and modify the circuit back to KM84 (i.e. transformer coupled type), or
2) Modify the capsule to make it suitable with use with upgraded Schoeps type of circuit (i.e. to voice the capsule and upgrade the MXL603 circuit with premium parts).

Best, M

Last edited:
I was going to post something similar about the capsule. I'm pretty sure those capsules are internally the same (slight grille differences aside) as several of my other mics. All the Chinese SDCs I've seen have one defining characteristic: the frequency response falls off rapidly below... I'm guessing about 200 Hz.

Ouch!

I know very little about capsules and circuits, but the MXL 603 that I recently aquired doen't seem shy in the low end to me. In fact, it imparts a beefy low mid sound to toms when used as an overhead, and it seems to capture the full range of my Martin D35.

In fact, the deficiencies that I hear in the mic, (although it's not bad as is) are the very things that Mr. Joly describes as being addressed in the latest mod he is offering.

I wanted to be the "first on my block" to get this mod, and replied to the announcement e-mail the same day that I recieved it. However, I had a little problem with PayPal to straighten out over their payment procedures on his site, so the order hasn't been placed yet. (a problem specific to my credit card, no one else should have any problems ordering)

I have a Joly modded Oktava 319 that I'm very pleased with, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the MXL responds to his mod.

Don't be so hard on the man. He is a pleasure to deal with, a generous soul, and he is doing a great service to many of us by taking bargain priced microphones and turning them into serious musical tools, at a fair price.

Last edited:
His mod?

Zapnspark. Cool dude, he even did a mod of one of my schemos that I think even I'm afraid to try :o

Also, at times like these I am reminded of Brent Casey's remarks re: the Schoeps circuit. It was designed for electret capsules . . . and I don't even like it too much on those . . . if the Chinese are universally applying the "Dorsey" mod to all condenser mics, that could be to their detriment . . .

Also, at times like these I am reminded of Brent Casey's remarks re: the Schoeps circuit. It was designed for electret capsules . . . and I don't even like it too much on those . . . if the Chinese are universally applying the "Dorsey" mod to all condenser mics, that could be to their detriment . . .

Yo.

I am not sure what came first, the "Dorsey mod" or Chinese use of Schoeps, but to those who chearfully say about "Dorsey's published accolades and tweaks", may I remind that the "Dorsey mod" is a stripped Schoeps circuit version, intended for DIYers, and is much inferior to the real thing (and even to Chinese copies), having much smaller headroom.
His use of it with a LD capsule just doesn't make any sense.

In any case, right now I am working on sourcing a certain type of lamination, for a custom transformer I designed myself, which would fit in the MXL603 body. I am converting the MXL603 into KM84 type of the circuit (i.e. transformer coupled).
I also re-machine and re-tune the capsule and soon will be offering it along with the "KM84 conversion" as a service. The capsule has a few db higher output, as well as a much tighter cardioid pattern than MXL603.

Here is a track recorded with the prototype, i.e. MXL603 converted into KM84type of circuit, with re-machined capsule:

http://home.comcast.net/~markfuksman/MXLmodifiedCapsuleII.wav

It was recorded during the same session as previous tracks, so you can compare and see the differences.

Best, M

Last edited:
Yo.

I am not sure what came first, the "Dorsey mod" or Chinese use of Schoeps, but to those who chearfully say about "Dorsey's published accolades and tweaks", may I remind that the "Dorsey mod" is a stripped Schoeps circuit version, intended for DIYers, and is much inferior to the real thing (and even to Chinese copies), having much smaller headroom.
His use of it with a LD capsule just doesn't make any sense.

In any case, right now I am working on sourcing a certain type of lamination, for a custom transformer I designed myself, which would fit in the MXL603 body. I am converting the MXL603 into KM84 type of the circuit (i.e. transformer coupled).
I also re-machine and re-tune the capsule and soon will be offering it along with the "KM84 conversion" as a service. The capsule has a few db higher output, as well as a much tighter cardioid pattern than MXL603.

Here is a track recorded with the prototype, i.e. MXL603 converted into KM84type of circuit, with re-machined capsule:

http://home.comcast.net/~markfuksman/MXLmodifiedCapsuleII.wav

It was recorded during the same session as previous tracks, so you can compare and see the differences.

Best, M
Hi Marik. Which 603 are you retooling? The older model or the newer one? The newer model has a much lighter weight (thinner) body. Thanks.

Paul:D

Hi Marik. Which 603 are you retooling? The older model or the newer one? The newer model has a much lighter weight (thinner) body. Thanks.

Paul,

As you could hear from the samples the "original" capsule has a sound of its own and I would recommend to keep it unmodified... just to have it for different flavor.
It does not seem to be any connection between old and new models vs. use of "original" (old style backplate) and "newer" capsules. For example many old ones have the "newer" backplates, but on the other hand one customer just sent me two brand new mics he got from the last MF stupid deal, and one of them had an "old style" backplate, so go figure. You can tell only after visual inspection.

Right now I sent my modified capsules for a few independed evaluations. Ones the results are back and if approved, I will be offering the capsule conversion as a service.

Also, ones I find a source for trasformer lamination to fit these mics I will be offering the transformers (along with the complete instructions) to DIY oriented folks, who wants to convert their MXL603 into KM84 style mic (i.e. transformer coupled). I will be also offering it as a service to those who does not have enough DIY skills.

Best, M

Paul,

As you could hear from the samples the "original" capsule has a sound of its own and I would recommend to keep it unmodified... just to have it for different flavor.
It does not seem to be any connection between old and new models vs. use of "original" (old style backplate) and "newer" capsules. For example many old ones have the "newer" backplates, but on the other hand one customer just sent me two brand new mics he got from the last MF stupid deal, and one of them had an "old style" backplate, so go figure. You can tell only after visual inspection.

Right now I sent my modified capsules for a few independed evaluations. Ones the results are back and if approved, I will be offering the capsule conversion as a service.

Also, ones I find a source for trasformer lamination to fit these mics I will be offering the transformers (along with the complete instructions) to DIY oriented folks, who wants to convert their MXL603 into KM84 style mic (i.e. transformer coupled). I will be also offering it as a service to those who does not have enough DIY skills.

Best, M
Thanks Marik. I'll keep an eye on this.

Paul:D

His mod?

So 3 yrs later I'm unable to find this information... Can anyone help? I'm interested in any specific mod recommendations. I've posted a new thread on it.. Thanks.

Paul,

Best, M
So can I find these somewhere?

just put the right fuel in your way-back machine, hit "GO" and make a quick stop in the past - then fast forward back here with all the details.

Last edited:
Back