A desperate man is looking for a mic

Elyst

Greets my good friends, it's been a while.

I'm looking for a new microphone since mine sucks badly, so I can hear myself singing through it I need to max out gain and that ruins my voice and the track itself.

So I've checked the local stores and these are the mics I'm trying to choose between, my budget is 100€ so it can't go much farther than that.

For what I learned I think what I'm looking for is an omnidirectional condenser mic.
Because I aim mainly to record voice and guitar but also explore other sounds, like in a video bellow that was recorded with JTS mics were a man uses car sounds in his music. I want to use things as such, maybe build a cajòn and use it or simply glasses with water... I dunno whatever comes to my mind when I'm inspired. (and of course not forgetting the ol' faithful sounds of a good guitar or keyboard)

here's the prices and brands (the prices are in €)

(my favourite so far) jts js e1
price: 81€(mic) + 11(pop killer) + 31 (those little things that hold the mic I forget the name)

Audio technica at 2020 (sounded pretty cool too but it's more expensive)
preço - 120€

M audio Nova[url] (125€) (couldn't give it a try due to the store's policies)

[url=http://www.homestudiocorner.com/2009/07/22/akg-d5-vs-shure-sm58-audio/]AKG D5 vocal
- 85€ (the salesman claims its good for not only voice but instrument recordings.)

I'm almost decided to buy the JTS, mostly because I liked the way it sounded when I was in the store and the video bellow, sure the recording conditions won't be the same as I have and in here, my house and my "little personal studio" will sound different.
But my idea is that an omnidirectional mic will allow me a sound closer to "reality"

but then again I was also told that if my room as bad acoustic that will ruin the recordings for me...

this is smth a little hard for me... I don't want to make a wrong decision since it's a lot of money involved. But I've been trying to compose things... and make some video songs, but I've just been plain busy running around either looking for the mic or whatever. I just want to buy it as quick as I can but I don't want to take a decision I might regret. I think I' aiming at making stuff like this but longer, more complex and with better quality.

some of the videos I searched

M Audio Nova Vid

the video I so much spoke of a while ago.
Song 73 JTS microphones

PS: I mentioned for the musics I intent to compose I'd use random objects or a cajón for drums. I will consider vst's if that idea fails. Also for a bass sound my first idea was to use my classic guitar since it somehow similar to a bass (with some effects and all) but I might also consider Vst's for a bass.

thanks for reading and hope you can help me out choosing a mic. :)
Have a good one.

Most omni mics are multipattern, so you can try it in omni, and if your room sound is too bad, go back to cardioid.

A couple good ones near your budget:
CAD M179
Studio Projects B3

thanks for the quick reply.

one of the problems is that I can't quite tell by myself if the acoustic in my room is any good without recording with the mic.

but "going back to cardioid" is easier said than done,

once the decision is made its pretty hard to go back... due to the stores policies and all.

But do you guys like the JTS mic?

I've been talking and searching around and I really can't make up my mind if I want a cardioid or an omni mic...

I'm really liking both the JTS and the audio technica. I'm thinking of choosing one of these, and if it turns out not to be what I'm looking for I think I could trade in the store for a cardioid...

... *sight* but it's just like moresound's sig says "Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not."
now they all look perfect... after I buy them I just get the feel they won't be that perfect.

Unless you have an acoustically treated room to record in, I'd stick to cardioid. This makes it much easier to control unwanted sounds and reflections.

Since you budget in Euros, you may find that Thomann could represent your best prices.

Within your budget, you could buy THE SE2000 IN A BUNDLE WITH A POP SCREEN. It's an excellent mic for the money...a nice neutral, slightly warm sound with reasonable detail.

However, if you can stretch your budget, I can strongly recommend the SE2200A. I now have a couple of these and use them in preference to some rather more expensive microphones that I have...a lovely combination of warmth and detail.

My only experience with JTS mics is their radio mics so not applicable...but I don't like the sound or build of their radio mics at all.

Bob

so... what are the advantages of a omni mic?

the room is rather small it's never shown any acoustic problems... I don't think it would be a problem for an omni mic.

This is really stressing me out. I can't make my mind... and the more I discuss this the more confused I get...

I'll post a photo of the room later.

PS: aren't we being a little too much specific perhaps? I'm not seeking any way too specific sound, all I want is a microphone that will allow me to record classic guitar, singing and some clapping or other percussion sounds along with some kazoo, harmonica or some other simple instruments as such without using too much gain.
my current mic is borrowed, cheap and it sucks. I want one that will record the sound cleanly without the background noise (like that humming sound some crappy mics make when no one's making any sound) or anything like that.

alright... I've been thinking bout the issue while I was having a shower (AH! too much detail)... that sure does clear one's mind.

going back on topic

I figured an omni mic is not the answer. with one of these if I tried to record guitar, the sound of the car passing the street or the cat or the bird sounds would just mess the recording. With a unidirectional mic this problem isn't so great.
MOST OF ALL, I'm only recording ONE instrument at a time so what sense does it make to capture sound from all directions when what I want is something that only minds with one source of sound.

Also, my voice isn't that great... I do think I have a great range for the falsetto (I've been told I have Geedy Lee's vocal range... only I don't know how to use it). Bottom line, I don't need a mic to record voice, the one's I currently have will do the work just fine.

So I need to aim for something that mainly records guitar sounds and some other wind instruments or other toy like stuff (lick that lame xylo on my vid).
I'd what I'm looking is an unidirectional condenser mic with a nice range to pick mainly guitar sound and maybe some others.

so I'm back to square one... guess I'll need to start looking again.

An omni microphone picks up sound from all directions equally. This means that any echoes or room noise will be picked up equally with the sounds you want.

A cardioid is sensitive in one direction but picks up almost nothing from behind it. This means the cardioid is much more forgiving in an untreated room because, by playing with where you sit/stand and the aiming of the mic, you can get rid of a lot of the boomy, echoey sound that is present in untreated rooms. It also helps to eliminate sounds like your computer fan or hard disk whirring in the background. I can even help eliminate things like traffic noise outside if you can put the back of the mic towards the noise source.

I've yet to see a normal, untreated room that sounds really nice with an omni. Unless you have a proper studio or record in a cathedral, I'd very much stick to cardioid if you're only going to have a single mic.

Bob

that's pretty much what I learned from all this Bobbsy.

So I'm suposed to look for a cardioid mic, like the one from audio techinca at 2020.

However, if you can stretch your budget, I can strongly recommend the SE2200A. I now have a couple of these and use them in preference to some rather more expensive microphones that I have...a lovely combination of warmth and detail.

I'd second the SE2200A. I bought a pair recently for classical guitar, for which they are exceptionally well-suited and genuinely better than some more expensive mics. If you can stretch your budget that little bit, the SE2200A will effectively be stretching it even further for you.

I have a cajon as well, by the way!

By the way: choosing cardiod mics does not mean that you can't capture some room sound as well, if you choose to later, but it is much easier to adjust with a pair.

atm I borrowed a mic specifically for guitar. Don't know how its called but you need to stick it to the box and it records.

I still need to dig in deeper on this mic subject. I think I'll only be buying a mic in a couple of weeks.
so I guess I'm not so "desperate" now. (the title was just related to how confused I felt with all the mic types there are and not knowing what I needed. Which I now kinda sorted.)

"choosing cardiod mics does not mean that you can't capture some room sound as well"

of course, but you get much more unwanted sounds with an omni mic. Like it was said before cardioids are more forgiving with room noise. With an omni you should have an acoustic treated room... which I don't btw

as to the cajón part, is it cool to play? I think I'm gonna build myself one whenever I get the chance.

what do you guys think of the Rode NT1?
I have a friend who pretty much uses it for everything... and he records drums, keyboard, vocals, back vocals, guitar (acoustic and electric) and bass.

I'm still looking for its specifications.

as to the cajón part, is it cool to play? I think I'm gonna build myself one whenever I get the chance.

I've built three Schlagwerk cajon kits: two CBA-2 and one CBA-1 all from Thomann. The CBA-2 is worth the extra £10 approx, for the extra height and second snare. They're fun to build, if you enjoy a small project, and great to play. One was for a percussionist friend of mine. She loved it and it was great to see her play it so well!

Anyway, back to the mics...

what do you guys think of the Rode NT1?
I have a friend who pretty much uses it for everything... and he records drums, keyboard, vocals, back vocals, guitar (acoustic and electric) and bass.

You can find all the specs you want for the NT1A HERE.

The NT1A is, at best "okay". It's a bit lacking in the bass and lower mid frequency ranges and always sounds a bit "thin" to me compared to other mics in the same price bracket.

Now, even though I've given you a link to find specs for the NT1A, really you can't choose a microphone by specifications alone. Microphones that look almost identical on a spec sheet can have very different sounds when you actually hear them. (A nasty admission for a former engineer to make, I know, but there you go.....) Try to hear the mics or at least ask opinions if you can.

Bob

but "going back to cardioid" is easier said than done,

once the decision is made its pretty hard to go back... due to the stores policies and all.

QUOTE]

Not if it is a multipattern mic... you just switch it from omni to cardioid.

That was my point about getting a multipattern - the versatility.

Correct me if I'm wrong but using an omnidirectional mic would just make it easier for it to capture noises and other stuff that would ruin my recordings.
I don't think I have the room for an omni. And it really doesn't make much sense having something that captures sound in all directions when I just want it to focus on my guitar, voice etc...

On another forum the audio technica at 2020 as been highly praised and I did in fact like pretty everything about it (except the price). The man in store was really nice and not only plugged it to a stereo equipment as also recorded some arpeggios, chords and some loose notes played by me on a random guitar.

Currently I'm recording like this:
keyboard (Yamaha psr e323): from the line out to the interface (Alesis io2 express)
Guitar (Ibanez AR 250 bk): either directly plugged to the interface, OR as I have most often used it, pluggin the line out from the amp to the interface.
Voice: I just used a weak cheap mic... plugged also to the interface
Classic guitar: atm I'm using a special mic a friend lent me. I don't know its name or any specifications. But you need to glue it to the guitar and just plug it either to an interface or amp. I think the brand is "Shadow" not sure there's a brand with that name...

I could also use some lessons on equalizing and mixing tracks while on cubase improve sound.
For now the audio technica at 2020 is on my favourites xD

The AT2020 isn't my choice but that's not important. By auditioning the mic and listening to it you've done exactly the right thing. If it sounds the way you want a microphone to, go for it!

for now at least it seems to. Perhaps trying that mic again at home won't be as good... or not the way I want it too...
Or maybe ... in time my "sensitivity" will grow and I will become aware of problems that mic holds...

well right now I'm just seeing if I can find that mic at a cheaper price. But I still welcome good suggestions. I just want to try avoiding ordering it online. Doing so would involve much work cuz I'd need to get a credit card and create a paypal account... I believe those things are handy... but not the first time.

Back