Do Major record labels control the content in artists songs?

kratos

I keep hearing people say major labels suppress artists interests and tell them what type of content their music should be about and stuff.
If that was true, then why didn't major labels suppress/control music from say Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down, 2pac, Eminem, to be honest the list goes on and on I'm sure. They wrote whatever came to their mind whether it be "in your face" political, violence, etc.
Theres a lot of stress that major labels dont want too much overly political type songs, but tell me - How did System or Rage get away with it and end up selling millions?

So how exactly do major labels control what an artist/band writes in their songs? Or is that complete BS?

Would like your thoughts on this.

If that was true, then why didn't major labels suppress/control music from say Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down, 2pac, Eminem, to be honest the list goes on and on I'm sure. .

Every label needs a "bad boy" even though those guys you listed are tame and weak.

A record label's primary goal is to make money selling music.

Often that will mean encouraging bands to make decisions based more on marketability than on artistic merit.

However, if they're going to make money off of an album which is subversive, or even loudly opposed to the label itsself. They'll release it.

It's not like EMI stopped printing copies of "Never Mind the Bollocks" when they acquired the rights just because it had a song that explicitly called them out.

A record label's primary goal is to make money selling music.

Often that will mean encouraging bands to make decisions based more on marketability than on artistic merit.

However, if they're going to make money off of an album which is subversive, or even loudly opposed to the label itsself. They'll release it.

It's not like EMI stopped printing copies of "Never Mind the Bollocks" when they acquired the rights just because it had a song that explicitly called them out.
I didn't realize "Bollocks" can be wrought on EMI, I always thought it was a Virgin album.
It is a great play on titles though.The EMI actually stands for "every mistake imaginable" and is pointed right at the record company but in such a way that, because of the double entendre, they couldn't be sued !

I keep hearing people say major labels suppress artists interests and tell them what type of content their music should be about and stuff.
If that was true, then why didn't major labels suppress/control music from say Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down, 2pac, Eminem,
Well it's partly true in some cases and not in others. Independent labels were always less likely to dictate to artists, which is partly why
they were independent. But there are exceptions; United Artists didn't censor or prevent some of the Stranglers songs like "Bitching", "Dagenham Dave", "Bring on the nubiles", "Burning up time", "I feel like a wog" and "School Mam" on the "No more heroes" Lp for instance, even though the lyrics of those songs could've caused riots ! There's lots of examples running both ways. Warner Brothers refused to issue Black Sabbath's "Volume 4" LP with the title "Snowblind" and the year before, they'd refused to let the Grateful Dead name their second live album "Skullfuck" (so it was just called "The grateful dead", even though they'd used the album title before). On the other hand on John Lennon's first solo album proper, EMI didn't refuse to release "Working class hero" though he calls people 'fucking peasants' in it. But when he and Yoko Ono appeared nude on the cover of "2 virgins", EMI refused to distribute it .
So it's actually not cut and dried either way. Labels like Island didn't stop all those reggae bands prosletyzing about smoking ganja, even though it was illegal in most countries through the 70s and 80s, neither did they nix their highly politically charged songs.
Sometimes though, "the labels" have used their muscle for good, pushing many artists/bands into actually crafting songs that were accessible and would sell. I'd argue that it made many people better writers, better recording artists and gave many access to punters they may not have reached otherwise.
So to me this runs both ways. Alot of it is pot luck, being in the right place at the right time. Sometimes, the times dictate whether something is going to be more tolerable to a record label, just look at rap from the early 90s to say, about 5 years ago. Much of the lyrical content would have been unlikely to have gotten released in the 70s and 80s.

I didn't realize "Bollocks" can be wrought on EMI, I always thought it was a Virgin album.
It is a great play on titles though.The EMI actually stands for "every mistake imaginable" and is pointed right at the record company but in such a way that, because of the double entendre, they couldn't be sued !

Yeah, I wiki'd it first. It was a Virgin recording originally, then EMI and Virgin got rolled up into a bigger company I think.
Long story short: List of EMI labels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Almost everyone writing songs (known or unknown) will tell you they write what they want and let the outcome be as it may. If a record company says they'll distribute you with certain conditions, decide when you cross that bridge. Another thing is that the only way to release material without a bunch of conditions is to do it yourself. Even the biggest most popular acts put up with conditions while working under a label. Thats a fact.

Almost everyone writing songs (known or unknown) will tell you they write what they want and let the outcome be as it may. If a record company says they'll distribute you with certain conditions, decide when you cross that bridge. Another thing is that the only way to release material without a bunch of conditions is to do it yourself. Even the biggest most popular acts put up with conditions while working under a label. Thats a fact.

And that's why everything released under a major label sucks shit.

Theres a lot of stress that major labels dont want too much overly political type songs, but tell me - How did System or Rage get away with it and end up selling millions?

So how exactly do major labels control what an artist/band writes in their songs? .

People around the world are beginning to revolt against Governments and Corporations, so it doesnt surprise me that major labels dont want to promote more of that attitude right now.

I had assumed that with internet distribution, major labels have lost a lot of pull as far as dictating what is or is not popular any more. The scant few grammy types may have to jump through hoops but with so much access now for self-distribution, if you can get millions of internet fans you I would think you don't have to follow orders.

I had assumed that with internet distribution, major labels have lost a lot of pull as far as dictating what is or is not popular any more. The scant few grammy types may have to jump through hoops but with so much access now for self-distribution, if you can get millions of internet fans you I would think you don't have to follow orders.

Good luck getting 100 true fans. Forget millions.

I had assumed that with internet distribution, major labels have lost a lot of pull as far as dictating what is or is not popular any more. .

What internet distribution? You pay on the internet the same way you pay anywhere else, the major labels own the front webpages, search engines etc. Even if a video you have goes viral (because your cat can talk or something) then what? They fade as fast as they rise. The best way to get actual fans is to play gigs and push a website to your followers.

Record companies (generally) want anyone they sign to a contract to be a success, specially if they are paying for the cost of recording, manufacturing and promotion.

They want a return on their investment.

The contracts that they sign with artists will vary in the level of control that a company exercises. Grimtraveller has provided a number of examples of how that different level of control manifest itself.

The reason for that control is for the company to place a product in the market place that is, in its view, more marketable. They want to make money from you (and presumably, you want to make money as well).

This is little different to, say, a book publishing company. The author will often find themselves having their work edited and re-edited. Some of this editing is 'mechanical', i.e. cleaning up grammar, spelling, punctuation and so on. Sometimes the editing will involve the content more directly.

These are the consequences of having someone else take on some or all of the costs of musical production.

Record companies are often criticized for trying to make performers conform to a formula, and there is no small amount of truth in that. After all, if they've tried something once and it works, it's worth trying again. However, we should remember that many of the performers who are revered for their music over many decades have emerged through major labels.

In a few cases, labels exist to promote new and innovative work, and are operating more altruistically. The Beatles tried this with their Apple label, and to their dismay, found a whole bunch of pigs snuffling at the trough of free handouts. Their effort was less successful than their vision hoped for.

PDP makes an important point:"The best way to get actual fans is to play gigs and push a website to your followers." This was as important for the Rolling Stones and The Beatles (except for the website bit) as it is for a contemporary band seeking commercial success.

People can be very protective of their creations, and don't like their artistic integrity being messed around with. This is true for authors, film directors, architects and others. So their is understandable resistance to the idea of control.

This is the equation:

Control of my artistic endeavours = compromise of my musical values.

There is another equation,though:

I want to be true to myself = I will continue to deliver crap.

There needs to be artistic integrity, but there also needs to be a preparedness to learn.

As was noted in other posts...

"The best way to get actual fans is to play gigs and push a website to your followers." This was as important for the Rolling Stones and The Beatles (except for the website bit) as it is for a contemporary band seeking commercial success.

Of course there is one problem with that...now everybody is an "artiste", God forbid they should ever play a cover song!

What gets forgotten is that the Beatles and the Stones got their original fan base by playing covers. And look at their first albums...you might find one or two Lennon/McCartney or Jagger/Richards compositions, but all of the rest are covers.

A band builds a fan base by playing music that people want to hear. Once they have a fan base, they can start introducing their own material to them. If they are able to keep or even grow their fan base, they can add more original songs to their repertoire, eventually reaching the point where they are only playing original music.

But too few bands are willing to do that anymore. And we've all seen the threads on here where the elitist few who write songs look down their noses at those who play in cover bands.

But go to any major city around the world and you'll find a large group of people who couldn't write like Beethoven if their lives depended on it, but who can play his music beautifully.

Just because you can burn up an instrument doesn't mean you can write songs that people want to hear...yet...

Cover bands are shit. If that makes me an "elitist", then I'm elitist as fuck. Get me the hat and t-shirt because I'm going full elite. Cover bands are a fucking waste of space and equipment.

I want to be true to myself = I will continue to deliver crap.

I agree with most of what you've said but I disagree this ^ as a solid principal. When Willie Nelson wanted to record "On the road again" the record executives refused to release it, he proceeded the way he wanted and it's regarded as one of the greatest country records.

I agree having an open mind and open to suggestion is of importance, but you can do that and still be true to yourself.

What gets forgotten is that the Beatles and the Stones got their original fan base by playing covers. And look at their first albums...you might find one or two Lennon/McCartney or Jagger/Richards compositions, but all of the rest are covers.

That was 45 years ago.

The Major Labels are in-human.
Once artists sign that form, the label owns them.
The artist has hardly any control over what is released, the company controls this and the music is no longer determined by the artist.
Without a doubt this is not the case with every record company.
Only big multi million pound labels, they cant leave trust in the artist (their label is on the line)
This is the future of the music industry whether we like it or not.
But we must find a way to stop this.
Independent record labels/artists have little or no chance in the industry.

Cover bands are shit. If that makes me an "elitist", then I'm elitist as fuck. Get me the hat and t-shirt because I'm going full elite. Cover bands are a fucking waste of space and equipment.

The problem is that often cover bands are what people want to hear. Where I live, the bands that do nothing but classic rock and Johnny Cash have a gig every week. One or two original bands can get a show a few times each month. The rest of us are lucky to get a gig every 2 months.

That's not to say that cover bands don't completely suck; it's just that the audience sucks just as badly.

That's true of the Stones, but not the Beatles. The ratio of originals to covers on their first 4 LPs is 8/6, 8/6, 13/0, 8/6. The 5th album is 12/2. From thereon in, all the albums feature original songs (Except one on 1966's compilation, Oldies but goldies).The British versions are the real versions of their albums, forget the Capitol versions that appeared in the USA. They were money making Frankensteins that totally ignored the Beatles' own sequencing of their albums {ha ha, major label control....}. They were shorter and by 1970, while Britain had 13 LPs the States had 21......same number of songs though.
The point about building up a fan base through covers couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, it is pretty much well established historical fact from so many zillions of sources over the last 40 years that it was their songwriting that really twigged. It was amazing in those days that a band wrote it's own songs and there is something significant in PDP's statement in reply to yours ~ "that was 45 years ago". Because the expectation since the 60s is that artists write the overwhelming majority of their own songs. Sure, people do the odd cover version, but the very reason cover bands are an issue that arouse so much passion, disdain and consternation is precisely because artists are expected to come up with their own stuff.

Back