Home Mastering - What Do You Use?

I'm the only engineer I'm gonna get, so I'll have to do. It's my basement, so the mix will do what I want, not make me do what it wants.

This place is called "Home" recording for a reason

I can sort of understand where Soundchaser may be coming from. On the latter point, I've had my eyes opened up to the fact that "Home recording" encompasses a large range of people from total hobbyists and amateurs {like me !} all the way to pros who do this for a living. But initially, when one signs up with a home recording forum, I guess one tends to think more in terms of the amateur recorder, whether rightly or wrongly. Actually, the wide range of people and opinions is, as far as I'm concerned, a major plus.
As for the question of the mix, a number of posters on a variety of threads have recently commented on how hard it can be to convey what they actually mean or get into someone else's head to get exactly what they mean and I think there is a slight language barrier going on here. When a pro or expert makes a statement like "do what the mix/music tells you",

You do what the mix is asking you to do.

If you can't hear what it wants, you've got the wrong engineer. That goes for mixing also.

they know what they mean. But to someone like me, it could seem like almost human/magical properties are being ascribed to the music. The very fact that you get remixes kind of indicates that the engineer is in fact the one that crafts the recorded music into something because there could be a number of ways of mixing a piece of finished music. Which, if the above quote is true and taken literally, could mean that the "mix/music" could be 'telling' you all kinds of different things..........so I can see where Soundchaser might be coming from. Because despite the physical limitations of what's there, it will be a human being that will determine what goes where and how and to what degree.
Maybe we all need to make more of an effort to understand where each other may be coming from.
Or maybe I'm just a dreamer with tense, dense, dreams....

Does anybody know about this "DDP" protocol?
There's no reason to be concerned with being able to create a ddp file set unless you are mastering for other people and want to send the master to a plant via ftp instead of postal.

The convenience is that you do not have to send physical media in snail mail and can send the ddp file over the internet instead. Some plants will accept them and some won't.

But initially, when one signs up with a home recording forum, I guess one tends to think more in terms of the amateur recorder, whether rightly or wrongly.

We were ALL amateurs at one time.... :)

I think most people that come to these forums and others like them really DO want to get the highest, pro-level results (if they can). I don't believe that anyone is really thinking about anything less.
Yes, it’s true that not everyone is trying to build a pro studio or become a commercial engineer or recording artist…but nevertheless…most DO want pro audio quality…and there’s the rub.

The main reason they come here is because it looks "safe". The word "home" is not too intimidating and there are other beginners also asking similar questions...rather than going to a forum where most of the discussions are about very complicated technical topics or super fine subtleties that one only discovers after doing this for awhile.

What happens next is many find out that it's gonna take some deeper commitment, more ca$h and lots of time to get the pro audio quality. They quickly see that there are all kinds of “levels” even here on the “home” forum.
Some people dive into it and push hard, others shy away, intimidated by the enormous amount of commitment required...or often, the bigger issue for many is lack of fund$ (yes, it's a tough economy out there right now, and yes we all know that money doesn’t grow on trees).
Then there are those guys that push hard but with their head in the sand, ignoring reality and advice, until eventually they hit the wall.
After awhile some become frustrated…even angry…either because their economic situation is holding them back, or their lack of understanding, or just because they are seeing/hearing others who appear to be much further along than they are, and the road to their goals all of a sudden looks endless to them…
…which only adds to their frustration (even if subconsciously).

Anyway…at the end of all that…most still DO want to get pro audio quality, no matter how little they have or how little they know or how little effort they invest into it.
And that’s where and who many of the suggestions, comments by the more “advanced/involved” members are aimed at…often with brutal honesty…but maybe the better term would be --- “plain, simple truths”.
Saying you are just a part-time hobbyist, or that you have limited funds, or that you don’t have any aspirations to be a commercial recording artist…etc…etc…etc…etc…etc….
….still doesn’t get you around those “plain, simple truths” and the fact that you DO want PRO AUDIO QUALITY….don’t you? :)

See where this is going….? ;)

Accept the “plain, simple truths”….don’t shoot the messengers. :D

PS
This was NOT aimed at anyone in particular…there are many folks on these forums that resemble my remarks. I’m just rambling a bit with my Sunday coffee…

But initially, when one signs up with a home recording forum, I guess one tends to think more in terms of the amateur recorder, whether rightly or wrongly.
I can kinda-sorta understand that, but it's really more of an unfounded bias and prejudgement than anything else. In fact, the average home recording musician should at least be well enough versed on the subject by pure osmosis to know that "home recording" runs a full gamut of sizes and skills. Any idea otherwise is just wishful thinking against reality on their part. This is very much at the core of why some get pissed off at people like Massive when they are only telling the truth. When the truth conflicts with the questioner's biased desire, they tend to want to reject it.

But this whole "this is only home recording" thing is just a baloney cover anyway, for two reasons. First because the "rules" and the physics and thr truth of recording and music production don't change depending upon the type of user. It doesn't matter whether one is working at Abbey Road or in their basement; the fundamentals remain exactly the same.

Second, and this is a big one, the whole "this is only home recording" dodge evaporates as soon as the home recorder tries putting their track into the middle of their commercial playlist on their mePod, and then come back here to ask how they can make their mix sound like a "pro" or "commercial" mix. As soon as they put the two of them together on the mePod or ask how to make a pro mix, they are no longer asking how to make an amateur home recording, they are now asking how to make a pro recording, but just make a pro recording at home themselves instead of asking a pro to do it for them.

There is only one answer to that; to sound like a pro, you gotta work it like a pro. Period. People get pissed when they hear that because that goes against the fantasy - reinforced by the snake oil sales mopes at GC - that all they need to do is spend a couple hundred bucks and a couple of hours, and computer technology will automatically turn them into recording superstars overnight.

It just doesn't work that way. It's fine if you just want to make a middling "home recording". The the truth is that is NOt what most home recordists really want to do, whether they know it or not. They want to make something that will sound like their commercial CDs and that they can seamlessly stick into a commercial playlist. They want to make pro recordings. That takes time, dedication and technique. Even more so, it takes "the ear". Which brings us to:
When a pro or expert makes a statement like "do what the mix/music tells you",
they know what they mean. But to someone like me, it could seem like almost human/magical properties are being ascribed to the music. The very fact that you get remixes kind of indicates that the engineer is in fact the one that crafts the recorded music into something because there could be a number of ways of mixing a piece of finished music. Which, if the above quote is true and taken literally, could mean that the "mix/music" could be 'telling' you all kinds of different things...
Maybe we all need to make more of an effort to understand where each other may be coming from.
It would be easy for me to say that if one needs to ask that question, they are not yet ready to start recording/mixing/mastering, because one who is actually prepared to do those things intrinsically understands what is meant by "the music will tell you".

But in the interest of talking the same language - and not pissing off some newbs - let me try explaining a bit further.

I'll take mixing and producing, because that's what I mainline, but it really applies to tracking and mastering as well in their own ways. Mixing is at its best a *collaboration* between the engineer and the material. Each supplies it's own personality and each provides it's own influences, but neither one is the master of the relationship.

Any given guitar track (just for one example) is going to have certain characteristics to it because if the type of guitar used, with it's own timbre and key formants, because of the person playing it with their own particular style and emotion, and because of the music composition itself. There is very little that the mixing engineer can do to change most of those things, and in the best mixes, he shouldn't even try that much. He can play a bit with the arrangement by choosing when to use certain passages and how loud to make them, but he should not try to use the rest of his processing power like EQ and compression to make those personality traits of that guitar track different. That's like trying to take the spots off a leopard.

Instead, the mix engineer needs to recognize those properties for what they are, and instead of trying to make them change into something entirely different, try and make them *work* by making the best out of what's there.

If you have a lemon, make lemonade, but don't try to change it into a watermelon. If you have a Guild, don't try to make it a Martin, but rather make the Guild work as a Guild to make the mix sound good. Don't try to make the Guild sound like a non-Guild, but rather make it the best-sounding guild you can in terms of what sound right for the mix.

This becomes the general principle that you don't try to make a mix sound different, you try to make it sound better. There is a difference between the two. This is what is often meant by "the music will tell you". Really what that means is you have to have the ear to tell what is and is not possible with the material you have to work with.

This is where the material is the boss. But the engineer is equally the boss. Here's how. What a rough mix tells me and what it tells you may not be exactly the same thing. While audio engineering (home or not) is based upon and built upon a solid, immovable foundation of science, it is, after all, an artistic endeavor. It's not a case of a set of tracks that want to sound exactly like "X", and the closer an engineer gets to X, the better they are. There is no one specific obligatory destination of a give mix. There is a degree of artistic impression to producing and mixing. It still has to be within the constraints of what the mix will allow, but within those constraints, there is a lot of room for artistic interpretation. It's entirely possible - and it happens often - for an engineer to make two different mixes of one set of tracks that have quite different "feels" to them or different focii to them, or to give the same ingredients to two different engineers and wind up with two different mixes that are equally good in their own ways. This is where the producer/engineer is the boss.

But no matter how you slice it, you have to have "the ear" if you want to her what the music is telling you. This means two things at once, IMHO. It means having the analytical listening skills to hear what's needed and what works and doesn't work on a technical level (e.g. knowing when the 4k area is truly too harsh or why the piano doesn't get along with the guitar, etc.), and what is "fixable" and what isn't. It also means having the artistic listening skills to get what the mood of the song wants to be, where the hooks are and how to use them, recognizing the arrangement and how to get the most out of it, etc.

This is why folks like Massive and me and a hundred others here get so exasperated by those who think that making music is just a matter of following the right recipe by boosting X, cutting Y, or using plan Z. because that is so NOT how this works, even for the home recorder. You have to work with the material you have, listen to what it says to you, imagine what you want to make out of it that it will allow, and then do what is specifically needed to do to get from here to there.

Without that basic understanding and those basic listening skillz, home recording will be little more than an exercise in frustration and disappointment. If that truth pisses anybody off, that's a problem with their reaction, not with the truth itself or with those who have to deliver it.

G.

"Doing what the mix is asking you to do" is basically saying critically listen to the mix and determine what its deficiencies are, then making the corrections needed to achieve the intended goal.

While it's good advice, until someone has developed those skills it's not so simple to follow. It's basically like telling a young race car driver "to win, stay on the road and keep ahead of the other drivers".

You can't buy these skills in a box (as much as some software companies would like you to believe). But keep doing what you're doing, experience and practice is the major part of how you develop. In the mean time don't blame the software or hardware, it's there to help but not replace you.

But the thing is, the skill/equipment level of the person involved doesn't change the actual procedure. You don't find a kid in his neighborhood sand lot standing at home plate trying to punch a pitched ball with his fist. And if you did see that, you would tell him to use a bat instead. Nobody would say "well, he's not in Yankee Stadium or anything, let him keep punching".

When a pro or expert makes a statement like "do what the mix/music tells you", they know what they mean. But to someone like me, it could seem like almost human/magical properties are being ascribed to the music. The very fact that you get remixes kind of indicates that the engineer is in fact the one that crafts the recorded music into something because there could be a number of ways of mixing a piece of finished music.

At a very basic level, it means all of your past production choices have consequences and you have to live with them. The end result will be much better if you roll with the choices you have made rather than trying to reverse a choice way too late in the game.

The problem comes in knowing that you actually are trying to reverse a choice. If you are pushing for mastering loudness and it's just not working, you are actually running into some tracking, arrangement, or mixing choice you made earlier coming back to bite you in the ass. So just roll with it. It won't be that loud.

Can you remix? Yeah, you can. Not all of the choices have been made at mix time, so the outcome can still be different. This is why a remix changes the sound to a much greater degree than a remaster. A re-recording would change the sound even more since you have even less past choices binding you.

It's kind of like raising a kid. When you're right at the beginning of writing a song, it's like a newborn infant. You have great influence over it and can guide it in many directions. By the time mastering comes along, your "baby" is out of college sitting in on his first job interview. You still made him, but he is his own being now. There is not much influence you can have anymore.

Great info, my understanding is expanding by the hour.....

What is most clear to me now is how poorly put together my original post was.... and how poor was my choice to use the word "mastering" at all. I understand better now why massive wrote what he wrote, but I still think his delivery totally sucks.......especially if I say "be quiet" and the person keeps poking and stoking. The plain and simple truth is my friend, but there is absolutely nothing that says it has to be brutal. Don't wipe my ass with sandpaper.....

But it got me/us some great discussion about a topic that is still too mysterious and elusive for comfort. And I know more about it now than I did 2 days ago. So thank you people for your time and input..... please continue....

But the thing is, the skill/equipment level of the person involved doesn't change the actual procedure. You don't find a kid in his neighborhood sand lot standing at home plate trying to punch a pitched ball with his fist. And if you did see that, you would tell him to use a bat instead. Nobody would say "well, he's not in Yankee Stadium or anything, let him keep punching".

At a very basic level, it means all of your past production choices have consequences and you have to live with them. The end result will be much better if you roll with the choices you have made rather than trying to reverse a choice way too late in the game.

The problem comes in knowing that you actually are trying to reverse a choice. If you are pushing for mastering loudness and it's just not working, you are actually running into some tracking, arrangement, or mixing choice you made earlier coming back to bite you in the ass. So just roll with it. It won't be that loud.

Can you remix? Yeah, you can. Not all of the choices have been made at mix time, so the outcome can still be different. This is why a remix changes the sound to a much greater degree than a remaster. A re-recording would change the sound even more since you have even less past choices binding you.

It's kind of like raising a kid. When you're right at the beginning of writing a song, it's like a newborn infant. You have great influence over it and can guide it in many directions. By the time mastering comes along, your "baby" is out of college sitting in on his first job interview. You still made him, but he is his own being now. There is not much influence you can have anymore.

I wasn't allowed to rep you, but that's a damn good post.

Lots of good stuff in here about what I think is a major sticking point with the "home recording revolution".

It's all about expectations. And lack of knowledge about what it really takes to meet your expectations. And in some cases it becomes about disillusionment when the realization that your expectations may be too high.

The problem arises with that choice that needs to be made once that realization is met. The mature individual will reevaluate his expectations and do one of two things. 1) Make the decision to pursue his original expectations and do whatever is necessary, including spending lots of money and time, to reach his goals. 2) Lower his expectations and simply be happy with what he CAN do. The immature individual will also do one of two things 1) Complain that no one knows what they're talking about. 2) Ignore good advice and eventually get frustrated that he can't just "make it work", only to quit way early in the learning process.

Fortunately the above is true for just about any topic based forum on the internet whether it's music, writing, art, surfing, basketweaving, whatever...the experts are the experts and the dabblers are the dabblers. Hopefully the dabblers can accept that and understand that sometimes the experts take their craft REALLY SERIOUSLY and try not to take it personal if people are a bit tactless with their help. And hopefully the experts can be a little more soft on the complete newcomers so as not to make the disillusionment quite so painful.

With that said, I'd ask soundchaser what his expectations are? Then we know what level we can comfortable talk to when offering advice, and caveat when something is mentioned that would require him to stray above and beyond what his stated expectations are (either monetarily or in his pursuit of a skillset). That way soundchaser can get closer to that point where he can make the choice about whether to be happy with what he can do, or to sacrifice to invest more into his projects.

The immature individual will also do one of two things 1) Complain that no one knows what they're talking about. 2) Ignore good advice and eventually get frustrated that he can't just "make it work", only to quit way early in the learning process.

...or...3) A combination of 1 & 2. Ignore advice from anyone with any experience, blowing it off as "old school", while continuing to convince themselves that nobody (other than family and friends) "gets" their genius.....and that this "genius" over-rides all the "overly technical mumbo-jumbo".:D

There are expectations based on reality...and those based on desire.

As I mentioned earlier...

Everyone wants their audio to be pro quality....that's the desire.
Realizing (or not) what it takes to get it it there...that's the reality.

Bringing the two together so that one feeds the other...that's the goal.

Lots of good stuff in here about what I think is a major sticking point with the "home recording revolution".

It's all about expectations. And lack of knowledge about what it really takes to meet your expectations.
I think that's the crux of most of it. There seems to be an expectation - and I wish I understood just where it comes from, but I'll be dipped if I can figure it out - that unlike making music, producing music recordings is just a simple mechanical process for with one simply needs to memorize a couple of basic and simple rote procedures. It's not.

The reality is that it's not a lot different on the knobs and wires side of the glass than it is on the strings and skins side. Unless one is a musical savant, one does not just pick up a guitar one day, memorize a lead sheet and then play like Stevie Ray Vaughn the next. Just about everybody understands that. But somehow there just isn't the expectation that it's the same way on the engineering side; that one just does not go out and get a copy of Pro Tools or Reaper one day, memorize a few EQ and compressor settings, and make a mix that'll stand up to their iPod playlist the next.
The problem arises with that choice that needs to be made once that realization is met. The mature individual will reevaluate his expectations
I'd alo add that they probably should re-evaluate just why they are making the recording to begin with. That is, just how important is it, really.

If it is an actual serious attempt to make a real CD, and not simply a hobby or a peer-driven desire to get something up on meSapce, then they might want to evaluate whether the long, hard slog of self-proficiency at music production is really the wisest way to spend their time and money, or whether it is actually best to, for the time being anyway, pay the pros to do it for them.

If however, once the ego is checked at the door, they conclude that it really is more of a fun hobby than an actual serious business venture (which is fine also), or that there really is no actual hurry and can take the time to learn and practice, then they could perhaps more easily accept the reality of lowered expectations - or at least slower ones - from their results, and have the patience to accept the reality.
Fortunately the above is true for just about any topic based forum on the internet whether it's music, writing, art, surfing, basketweaving, whatever...
Risking repetition here, this again begs the question as to why almost no one (rightly) expects to do "pro-level" quality of any of those pursuits without a lot of work and practice, yet feel that producing a music recording is so simple that anyone can do it and do it fast and easy, and to treat it otherwise is "tactless".

Tact is a two-way street. As is respect. When someone treats lightly a subject they know not about, and assumes that any monkey with a PC can do it, and demands that the answers they get reflect that simplistic ideal, that is the opening salvo of tactlessness and disrespect. They'd never go to a basketweaver's forum and act that way..

G.

I'd like to lob the ball back in your court. Where would you like to continue to? What questions are still on your mind?

G.

I just didn't want that post to make people think it was time to end this thread. Sometimes when a guy says "Thanks for the input" all the replies stop.....well, don't stop just because I said "Thanks"....still good info flying around here....

The mature individual will reevaluate his expectations and do one of two things.......

2) Lower his expectations and simply be happy with what he CAN do.

I like to think this is gradually what I've done in the last year or two or three......accept the fact that I do not have the money or the gear or the tools or even the skills to translate what I hear in my head into a polished cd.

Given the opportunity I would first and foremost be the musician, not the engineer or the mastering house or the producer, etc. Maybe the technology and the marketing lured me into the roles and skewed my idea of what was possible, but I'm glad I have what I have and I am where I am. And I know that my final sound can be better than it is now using the tools I have now on the budget I have now, given the compromises I have to make with time and a job, etc., these tools are mostly time savers and money savers. If I had to choose and only keep one thing in my basement, I would give up the computer and the software and keep the guitar rig and keep playing guitar. If I won the lottery I would buy more guitars and pedals and speakers and Mesa amps and go hireout the tracking, engineering, mixing, mastering and disc duping. I would quit my job and spend all my time being the best guitar player I can be.

But my lot in life led me to play guitar and piano, I learned how to build computers and program databases to pay the bills, I can read and understand all the manuals I have, and I can afford some cute consumer grade home technology that lets me multi track, create matching drum tracks with EZ Drummer (sorry Rami!), pretend to mix and master, and burn a cd......all in the comfort of my basement with a cup of coffee and a bag of chocolate chips and no collectors at the door.

I just want that cd to be as good as it can be when I carry it out my front door, given my current knowledge, gear, and budget. Most of the time that means just practicing more and playing better. But in my situation, plugins and Ozone and redbook cd burning apps have their place.

This is why folks like Massive and me and a hundred others here get so exasperated by those who think that making music is just a matter of following the right recipe by boosting X, cutting Y, or using plan Z. because that is so NOT how this works, even for the home recorder. You have to work with the material you have, listen to what it says to you, imagine what you want to make out of it that it will allow, and then do what is specifically needed to do to get from here to there.
I think what frustrates a lot of people is the line that I've highlighted. When they hear the phrases "do what the mix tells you to do", it pisses them off, because they simply DON'T know what they need to do to achieve what the mix tells them, no matter how true that phrase is. And many either don't realize it or don't want to realize they lack enough technical knowledge to achieve what they envision, and when they hear the above phrase, it makes them feel even more helpless and they simply lash out at the messenger :)

And while I understand that the pros get frustrated to hear and answer the same thing over and over, I believe it would be more constructive, if the pros get in the habit of coming from another angle, and maybe ask more questions from the OP about specifics, as to what it is that they are trying to achieve. While this maybe more work for the more knowledgeable, it will in the end cut down on the frustration on both sides. Although, admittedly I've seen some posts where there was an attempt made to get more information, and the OP just started mouthing off. To those I say, fuck them, and forget about them. However, don't be put off by this, as I am sure there will be fare more people that will appreciate this approach than get all stupid on ya ass. Those that get stupid, well, like I said, fuck 'em. :D

Oftentimes, it is also important to understand that the question that the OP is asking, may not necessarily be the "right" question, and this may stem from various things, such as lack of knowledge and experience.

Maybe I am being an optimist, but I believe in the end this kind of approach, may turn into a more constructive discussion, instead of frustrations from the pros where they feel they are not being appreciated, while the newbs feel like the pros are being snobbish and putting them down.

"Do what the mix is telling you"...

Well, here's an example (a hypothetical, BTW, trying to bring an example more in line with the majority of this board rather than the wacked out nonsense that I do)...

"I feel my mix is lacking energy, although my guitars are pretty loud and my drums are punchy. Also, my vocals are getting drowned out, but when I increase their level, they stick out like a sore thumb. I want them to sit in the mix, not over it, yet I want them to be intelligible. Also, I have a 2 bar drum break in the middle, the playing is pretty good, the rhythm is tight, but I feel like it just sounds too naked and things sort of break down there, so I start adding things to make it feel less naked, but that takes away from the intent of having a drum solo".

Now, the hypothetical "I" knows what the issues are. How can I fix it? What tools do I need to use to address these issues that I am having with my mix?

So, at this point, the person feels pretty frustrated and inadequate, comes to "home recording" and likely asks a question about "what are typical EQs being used on electric guitars", or "do you automate reverb levels?" or something of the sort, because they kinda feel like they may need to EQ their guitars to make room for the vocals, etc, and then get the typical answers: "don't rely on presets", "every mix is different", "do what the mix tells you"...

It's a vicious cycle and needs to be broken by both sides. The people asking the questions need to learn that they shouldn't rely on presets because every mix is different and because of this no one can give them specific answers so most importantly they should learn to ask more specific questions, maybe even post examples in the MP3 clinic. Conversely, the ones giving answers, maybe preceded by a sigh, just because they've heard the same question a million times before, and have given the same answer for about million times should recognize that maybe the person doesn't know how to ask the right question, they may already feel frustrated and likely inadequate, and try to nudge them towards asking the right question, which in turn will help both sides to get to the root of the problem, and solve it.

Peace :drunk:

Asking someone how to mix and master can be similar to asking some one how to play a solo over a given set of chord changes.

There is no one right way to do it...and there is no one right answer imo.

The professional would have the experience of learning and knowing what scales and modes to use and then have forgotten them, so that they just follow what the chord progression tells them to do without thinking about as it would be second nature to them.

The person just starting to learn still needs to get the rudimentary foundation down to even attempt a half decent solo, and has to think about what they are doing every step of the way. To be proficient only comes with experience and the talent one would develop from that.

So someone that has been doing it for years can offer suggestions and guidance on what might work, but the person starting out would need to really work on developing these skills over time and understand that it will not come over night. Eventually they can learn all the rudimentary and basic stuff and then forget it to be guided by what is in front of them.

I think it's true that you never stop learning, but there is that threshold that you cross where you "get it"...and you only "get it" through determination and experience. YMMV

I think what frustrates a lot of people is the line that I've highlighted. When they hear the phrases "do what the mix tells you to do", it pisses them off, because they simply DON'T know what they need to do to achieve what the mix tells them, no matter how true that phrase is.
While there are no 100% absolutes, IME I have fond that most of the time the problem is NOT that the average newb doesn't know *how* to fix something, it's that they don't know what needs fixing.

It seems to me that one is far more likely to find a thread or post that asks "is this ok?" or "what is wrong?" than one that says, "here's what's wrong, but I don't have the technique for fixing it." And half the time when they do say the later, what they think is wrong ois not actually the problem.

What really pisses folks off - and frankly I can't completely blame them, but I know of no "kind" way to say it; it's like trying to find a kind way of telling someone their child has died - is when one tries to broach the truth by asking the return question, "If you can't tell whether your mix sounds good or not or cant tell what's right or wrong about it, what are you even doing stepping behind a DAW?"

It just seems so common sense to me that if one wants to make music, that a prerequisite should be having the ear for it, that it does not work in reverse. See, my problem is - as Miro knows well, because we got into this pretty heavily a couple of months ago - I just don't *get* at all how or why people find "do what the music tells you" to be such a mysterious or "advanced" concept; I consider it to be a fundamental prerequisite to what we do.

This can be taken two ways, both equally true in my book. First, if the music isn't telling you to do anything, then there is nothing for you to do. Second, that anybody actually ready to produce a recording already instinctively and intrinsically knows exactly what is meant on a general level by "let the music tell you", that it shouldn't even need explaining.

But apparently that sense is not so common, because I seem to be a member of the teeny-tiniest of minorities there. Again, to go back to what I was saying earlier, I can't think of another single technical profession or artistic discipline where this is not fairly common sense; people all the time say they do or don't have a photographer's eye or a writer's flair, or understand that technical trades usually require a natural aptitude. Shit, it's even true in sports; people usually know whether they can ever be captain of their football team or not. Yet when it comes to music production it's not only not common sense, but it's actually insulting to others to treat it that way?

G.

Well, now with Win 7 and a few other things updated, Wavelab will not run, it scans plugs and just crashes.

I ran into this issue as well... I have software that ran with XP but not Win7. I understand you not wanting to go back to XP, but I decided to use both - I configured my system to dual boot XP/Win7. I do most of my DAW work in Win7, but have a second partition set up with XP so I can still use the older software.

(Although with Wavelab, I had the full version of v5 and just went ahead and upgraded to v6 so I would have it on Win7 - it's my primary editing app.)

Back