Homebuilt guitar, almost finished

LMFAO at the above posts :D

On the subject - man that's a sweet looking baby axe. What are you gonna name it?

The way forward maybe for you to list a brief post on how you have got where you are with it. Inspiration, materials, approach to building each bit, tools you used, bits you found easy/hard etc. Doesn't have to be a big post. From there maybe we can point in the direction of how others do it and jigs and methods that make the process easier and more accurate.

Thanks and I will work on a post like that as soon as I have the time (trying to get some work done right now)

Man, that is beeeautiful! Way to freakin' go. :)

What surprises me is how relatively conservative it is for a self-proclaimed metalhead. I expected something more angular, black with elaborate mythological pearl inlays...y'know wizards, dragons or whatever. Maybe that was just the '80's...

Hey, what's wrong with Raymond?...oh, you must mean the show.

Well I, for one, also am interested in Light's comments, irrespective of his management style. As y'all may have noticed, I have my days when I'm in the reality check business, also. What I find really interesting is that Light has made the comments he has made looking at the guitar from a distance, in a photograph. All of us who are guitar pickers can pick up on the little nitpicking stuff up close and personal. You know what I mean- the fit and finish issues, the buzzes, the differences between a Squier and a good ol' Fender. But- that's not what you see in the big picture. There you see proportion. The pickup positions, location of switches, number of frets, quality of bookend matching, etc.

Knowing that Light has a clue, I doubt he would have said what he did if the big picture was "perfect" in his eyes. I expect he would have said, "Great job". instead of,"do you really want my advice?". So- being here to learn, not to stroke my ego, or Metalhead's, or Light's, I humbly request that y'all stop fighting over Light's affect issues, and see if we can get him to tell us what he sees that our less well trained eyes can overlook.

Light did, after all, say that it looked better than the work of most beginners. I'll say. But it's all about that big picture, and the little one. I feel like Light is telling me that I may be unable to see the forest for the trees. I agree that there are better and worse ways to offer constructive criticism, but if I needed that, I'd go back to nursing school instead of Homerecording.com. So can you stop debating that stuff long enough so Light can tell us about the damned guitar? (end of rant)-Richie

Grumpy is as Grumpy does....

What if no one asked for your opinion in the first place.... How about we drop this ignorant conversation and just appreciate what MetalHead did without the diatribe?

You are automatically assuming that light is talking to a stranger. Both are frequent visitors to the guitar and bass forum and will likely be aware of and comfortable with each others ways of communicating. You get to know people here, kinda like friends in a way. Are you not more up front with your friends? What I see to some extent is a friend offering some advice to a friend, in a way that a friend would. ie Without walking on eggshells.

And besides, metalhead's a big boy now. He can take it.

If you think that constructive criticism is a bad thing, then fine. But most of us are less self absorbed than that, and are willing to admit that some people might have some useful experience to bring to the table.

If you ask me (which no one did) this ranting is pissing all over metalheads parade. I don't see anything in his original post asking for any advice. I also don't see anything in his original post that suggests that this is his "first build," although it probably is, many people are assuming it. It's obvious that he didn't run out to home depot yesterday, pick up a few wood-working tools, and build that guitar. The man has some skills, and is no beginner, as most have suggested. Is he a pro? Obviously not. But from the look af that stack of amps he's got in the photos, he's probably an accomplished player, which is what we are supposed to do with a guitar, and the only thing that matters, in the end. Who gives a rats face what it looks like if it doesn't play sweet? I know I don't.

I think the guitar looks awesome, by the way. :D

Peace!

~Shawn

And THIS is why I usually keep my mouth shut on these things. Frankly, go blow it out your ass.

The only reason I made the offer is because from what I can see he did a appears to have done a better job than most first time builders, so I wanted to offer him some constructive criticism. If he wants to hear it, I'll tell him. If he doesn't, I wont. I'm not slamming him in any way, and I'm not saying he didn't do a good job. If you can't understand the difference between critique and insult, you can go fuck yourself. Just because it isn't his job doesn't mean he doesn't want to do a better job next time (and once you start down THIS path, there will almost always be a next time - lutherie isn't a choice, it's a disease).

Sorry to be so pissy about it, but I'm offing him advice, not insult, and as I just spent about 6 hours resawing a shit load of mahogany, I'm fucking tired as shit. More to the point, if anyone is going to bitch about it, it is Metalhead. But it is idiots like you who can't understand basic concepts (being helpful vs. being an asshole) that make the internet so fucking annoying.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I don't care how much you know about guitars or how many you've built. You're a fuckin dick. I've read a lot of your posts. You post a lot of helpful stuff but like I said, you're still a fuckin' dick half the time.

If you want to respect a guy like this just because he's a luthier then go ahead. Personally, I think that's retarded.

Everybody chill out.

Sooner or later you learn that not everybody on an internet forum bothers to sugar coat what they have to say. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, and in fact I appreciate it.
I'm familiar with Light from this forum, and I didn't take his post in a negative way at all. I can't say that I understand why anyone else did, but I appreciate the sentiment. ;) Also thanks to everyone for the compliments.

And to clarify, I am a total beginner. I have built one other guitar, and a couple of non-playable mock ups. This is my first effort that was this complex. Ironically, I did run out to Home Depot and buy a bunch of tools in order to build this guitar. :D

Now on to a little of that info that Muttley suggested I provide:

Most of my inspiration came from checking out the David Mcnaught Guitars website. I love his guitars, and he has a nice gallery of shop photos which gives you a good behind the scenes view of the building process.
I have an extensive background in engineering, drafting, and also artwork, plus a good capacity for learning new things, so I decided to buy a few books and try my hand at building since I would never be able to afford a custom guitar of that sort.
I started with limited woodworking experience, but I wasn't a complete beginner. The tools I bought specifically for the job were a benchtop bandsaw, some sanders, the nicest router I could afford, and some handtools like a spokeshave, rasps, files, etc. I also owned a table saw, drill press, and a few small tools.
I bought a router base for my Dremel tool for the inlay work. I built a router table for doing template cutting, and I built a crapload of jigs and templates.

All of the wood, except for the fingerboard which I bought preslotted from Luthier's Mercantile, came from a local Woodcraft store. I couldn't score a large enough piece of mahogony for the body without spending a chunk of money and special ordering it, and since I didn't think the guitar would turn out that great anyway, I went the cheap route and laminated the body as you see in the photo.
Once I glued everything up, I had to take everything to a local mill to have them planed and squared up, those were the only tools I didn't have access to.

I rough cut everything on the bandsaw, but I cut the finished shapes of everything on the router table using templates I made out of 1/2" MDF. I spent alot of time up front making the templates because it seemed like the safest way to proceed. I made a template for the neck taper, the neck profile (based on a neck I measured), the neck pocket, the body, the headstock, pickup routes, etc. I hand finished the neck tenon to make it extra tight.
For carving the top, I screwed it to some scrap wood using screw holes where the pickups would be, and I routed a partial ledge around the perimeter to establish the height. I did the bulk of the carving with an angle grinder and a sanding flap disc. The rest I did by hand sanding.

I carved the neck with rasps and a spokeshave. I built a stand to hang the neck off the edge of my bench to support it and give me access to each side. I just carved on it until it started feeling good in my hand. This was the most enjoyable part of the whole thing I think. Before I started, I dry fit the neck into the body and penciled in where the 2 joined so that I could carve all the way up to there and avoid having a heel. I finished the neck completely before I glued in into the body.

I routed the control cavity from the front before the maple cap was attached. My plan was to route it to within around 3/16" of going through and then carefully saw out the remaining wood to make the cover out of. It didn't turn out so well, so I will be making a new cavity cover. :o I wish I had routed from the back and left a nice ledge for mounting the cover - I will be screwing in some small pieces to support the cover as it is.
I tried to come up with an interesting way of mounting the input jack. I'm not sure how well this idea will work, but it seemd that for hanging the cord over the strap button as I normally do - this design would be nice. If it doesn't work out well I'll do something different on my next guitar. I clamped the guitar up in a really funky angle in my drill press and cut that recess with a forstner bit. I'm surprised I didn't ruin something. :D

That's all the good stuff I can think of right now. After some trial and error, my methods were working pretty well for me, but I'd love to get feedback on a better way to do things. Once the guitar is finished, I'll be able to answer the big questions, like whether or not the basic design even works.
The guitar is remarkably comfortable and I am extremely excited about being able to play it soon. I hope the mojo sticks around and doesn't crumble once I string it up.....wish me luck!

I don't care how much you know about guitars or how many you've built. You're a fuckin dick.
The problem here is that some people don't understand that straightforward, honest statements are not insulting.

Light doesn't lack any social skills, he just speaks his mind and doesn't suffer fools.

We're lucky to have the likes of Light and Muttley on the board, willing to share their hard-earned experience for not even the cost of a cup of coffee.

So (6) Strings and FusionInSpace, I think you guys should just listen and learn - it's not your fight, anyway. Metalhead has already said he welcomes Light's input.

BTW, Metalhead, from a casual, non-luthier perspective, it looks like you've done a very nice job. :)

You're a fuckin dick.

...says the guy whose best analysis is to call someone a fucking dick... :rolleyes:

As Zaphod says, we are lucky to have professionals who know what they are talking about here. As opposed to taking unreliable answers from uninformed people, which is normally the case about 75% of the time.

Light doesn't lack any social skills...

Yes, he does.

ZB said:
...he just speaks his mind and doesn't suffer fools.

He speaks his mind and doesn't suffer anyone who disagrees.

ZB said:
We're lucky to have the likes of Light and Muttley on the board, willing to share their hard-earned experience for not even the cost of a cup of coffee.

Yes, we are.

The reason Light can get away with his attitude is because he's way smart about all things guitar.

His input in this forum is much appreciated.

apl, I work around a bunch of social-retard engineers, all of whom think that they are the most brilliant person on the planet and that everyone else is a dumbass.

Light is a refreshing change compared to what I have to deal with 9 hours a day! :D

Reactions: apl
apl, I work around a bunch of social-retard engineers, all of whom think that they are the most brilliant person on the planet and that everyone else is a dumbass.

Light is a refreshing change compared to what I have to deal with 9 hours a day! :D

I feel your pain.

It's probably not coming across this way, but I'm trying to defend him.

"Across 110th Street, Pimps trying to catch a woman that's weak"

Sorry, just thought we could all do with a little relaxing.

"Across 110th Street, Pimps trying to catch a woman that's weak"

Sorry, just thought we could all do with a little relaxing.

lol yea tPual relacks i got ur rekwest now we are bffs lol

on another note, i'm jamming to some cellardwellar right now...and it rocks. ;)

I don't care how much you know about guitars or how many you've built. You're a fuckin dick.

And your a bigger one if you ever need help from someone who knows what they bare doing. Ever heard the story of the golden goose??

Honestly you guys are priceless. Well some of you..:rolleyes:

Back