I hope this is the right place for this question

elfie57

Hello, I am going to make my first music recording of a demo onto my PC all by myself :D I know that I need an audio interface to do this. I am not looking for excellence or super professional studio quality, although that would be neat, but would really like a good audible sound for any fans to be able to listen to and enjoy.

I am micing the distortion guitar amplifier with an SM57. The Mic will then go into one of these choices:

A. M-Audio DMP3 >>> E-MU 0202 >>> PC

B. The Brick >>> E-MU 0202 >>> PC

C. E-MU 0404 >>> PC

Which of these setups would be best for this and what about these setups could be better? I am going to be making a purchase very soon, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I would not spend that much money for a pod casting setup

go with a Behringer Eurorack ub802
Behringer UCA 202 audio interface
a 6 foot RCA cord to connect the two
Download Krystal Audio Engine online free
you can be making some nice sounding tracks for less than a hundred bucks
if you already have a mixer that has an RCA tape out you dont need to buy another mixer

If I were to spend more than that I would invest in a firewire interface
like Alesis, PreSonus or M-Audio.

This is all you need
Download this
Audio Interface
Mixer
RCA Cable

The ones you listed will kill that setup above. Easily.

Thank you. I was afraid for a moment that I was going in the wrong direction. I have one final question, if you don't mind. If I added an external preamp from option A or B to the 0404, would this be a really good thing? or would the external pre amp overpower the one in the 0404 and butcher the sound?

Last edited:
Are you telling me that this setup will produce a better sound quality than the ones that I listed?
I am not saying that it will produce better quality sound I am saying that the setup I mentioned functions the same which works equally as good ror less money.
The ones you listed will kill that setup above. Easily.

I am sorry but I beg to differ.
the sound quality comes from mastering the track the only function the hardware has is sending the signal to the computer.:rolleyes:

if you want higher quality you need to get a fire wire interface or a recording work station.

I am sorry but I beg to differ.
the sound quality comes from mastering the track the only function the hardware has is sending the signal to the computer.:rolleyes:

i would say that almost everyone on this site would disagree with you, especially if you are talking about a behringer set-up.

if you have shit to start with, there is not going to be much you can do to mix it to make it sound better

Thank you. I was afraid for a moment that I was going in the wrong direction. I have one final question, if you don't mind. If I added an external preamp from option A or B to the 0404, would this be a really good thing? or would the external pre amp overpower the one in the 0404 and butcher the sound?

if you decide to go that direction the use of an external preamp would be overkill and un necessiary.

i would say that almost everyone on this site would disagree with you, especially if you are talking about a behringer set-up.

if you have shit to start with, there is not going to be much you can do to mix it to make it sound better

well for fucks sakes get a cheap peavey mixer then:rolleyes:
maybe you would like me to prove my point with an old track I laid with the exact setup I mentioned?

it jsut makes more sense to get something semi-descent that you are not going to grow out of soon enough.

ive recorded stuff just plugging a guitar with two adaptors straight into the computer, and it was not that bad, but once i spent a minimal amount of money the sound drastically improved.

if the OP plans on sticking with it for many years to come, getting the settup you mentioned will probably only last so long because he will want something better sooner than latter.

why are you so deffensive anyways?? who gives a fuck, the whole point of this site is for people to give their opinions. you gave yours, and i gave mine. you dont have to prove anything to me, i really dont care. this is all opinions, nearly everything on this site or simular sites.

it jsut makes more sense to get something semi-descent that you are not going to grow out of soon enough.

ive recorded stuff just plugging a guitar with two adaptors straight into the computer, and it was not that bad, but once i spent a minimal amount of money the sound drastically improved.

if the OP plans on sticking with it for many years to come, getting the settup you mentioned will probably only last so long because he will want something better sooner than latter.

why are you so deffensive anyways?? who gives a fuck, the whole point of this site is for people to give their opinions. you gave yours, and i gave mine. you dont have to prove anything to me, i really dont care. this is all opinions, nearly everything on this site or simular sites.

It don't make any difference how long the OP plans on keeping the set up the quality will still be no better and eventually the op will want to upgrade to a work station or a large mixing console.
the only way you will get any better on a budget recording on a PC is to get a firewire interface.

set up B is the way I would go. It's got the most to offer in the long run and will give the overall best results.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. I have chosen Option C as the best way for me to go right now.

Roguetitan, thanks for the advice, but you did seem a bit defensive, and if I didn't know any better I might have gone your way (you spoke your opinion, now I am speaking mine), so thank you to those who stepped up to discuss this.

Thanks again for the help.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. I have chosen Option C as the best way for me to go right now.

Roguetitan, thanks for the advice, but you did seem a bit defensive, and if I didn't know any better I might have gone your way (you spoke your opinion, now I am speaking mine), so thank you to those who stepped up to discuss this.

Thanks again for the help.

buying gear is a personal choice you have to go with what is going to click for you.
I was just giving you some suggestions on cost effective alternatives that will produce the same results as the other gear you listed.

sorry I sounded defensive that was not my intention,
I was just trying to save you some money
Heck I mean I only do this shit for a living;)

Good Luck with your Recording Project
icon14.gif

I would not spend that much money for a pod casting setup

go with a Behringer Eurorack ub802
Behringer UCA 202 audio interface
a 6 foot RCA cord to connect the two
Download Krystal Audio Engine online free
you can be making some nice sounding tracks for less than a hundred bucks
if you already have a mixer that has an RCA tape out you dont need to buy another mixer

If I were to spend more than that I would invest in a firewire interface
like Alesis, PreSonus or M-Audio.

This is all you need
Download this
Audio Interface
Mixer
RCA Cable

Sorry, but the setup you listed (assuming he's not on a $2 budget) will just be disappointing. Maybe the Behringer stuff isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be but there's also good chances of it not working at all, or that it will just stop working. A long time ago my buddy bought a UB802. Didn't work at all. Sent it back for a return, 2nd one worked for a few days then just STOPPED. The quality of the mixer was also about as crappy as you can get, it actually effected the sound (degraded it) to an audible degree.

Not worth the $2.

The EMU interfaces are good. I would have recommended the DMP3 -> Audiophile 24/96, not just because it's what I use, but because it's perfectly capable of very good quality recordings, the customer support is great, and the units are very reliable, built well, and of higher quality than the price would suggest.

If you're 12 years old, don't have a job, can't get an allowance, and have to wash cars to make money, then yeah, go with the cheap Behringer stuff, that's what it's there for.

If you want your money's worth (and some) and something you plan to use for awhile then M-Audio is a good reliable option. EMU is also a good option. Quality-wise, I don't hear a difference. And I'm pretty sure they're reliable (at least my EMU 1212M has been since I got it).

I bought a Behringer UB802 mixer and a Behringer FCA202 as my first recording equipment and learned a lot just using those. Hell, I recorded a few demos for my band using that and it turned out pretty good for using that equipment. Obviously you'll need microphones and cables, too. You could do that all for about $200.

If you plan on recording for a while, you might want to invest in a FirePod and give yourself some growing room with your equipment. The FirePod can record ten tracks simultaneously whereas the FCA202 can only do two tracks at once. However, which do you think is more expensive? :]

Sorry, but the setup you listed (assuming he's not on a $2 budget) will just be disappointing. Maybe the Behringer stuff isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be but there's also good chances of it not working at all, or that it will just stop working. A long time ago my buddy bought a UB802. Didn't work at all. Sent it back for a return, 2nd one worked for a few days then just STOPPED. The quality of the mixer was also about as crappy as you can get, it actually effected the sound (degraded it) to an audible degree.

Not worth the $2.

The EMU interfaces are good. I would have recommended the DMP3 -> Audiophile 24/96, not just because it's what I use, but because it's perfectly capable of very good quality recordings, the customer support is great, and the units are very reliable, built well, and of higher quality than the price would suggest.

If you're 12 years old, don't have a job, can't get an allowance, and have to wash cars to make money, then yeah, go with the cheap Behringer stuff, that's what it's there for.

If you want your money's worth (and some) and something you plan to use for awhile then M-Audio is a good reliable option. EMU is also a good option. Quality-wise, I don't hear a difference. And I'm pretty sure they're reliable (at least my EMU 1212M has been since I got it).

this was recorded with crappy kids toys
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/177/02 Track 2.wma

Feel like killing myself after listening to the first 30 seconds of the song. (Nothing wrong with the mix just the song was terrible).

It's a pretty well-known fact that great results can be had with cheap gear (hell, the gear I use/recommended is extremely cheap). And it goes without saying that if you have great instruments, and a good band, the gear you use doesn't matter so much.

All I know is this.
You recommended a Behringer setup.
Behringer makes decent gear (I use their mics which are good).
Behringer has piss-poor quality control.
It's a gamble buying their stuff.
a) It could simply not even work when it arrives
b) It could suddenly stop working for no apparent reason
c) A significant improvement can be had for not much more cash
d) The next-step-up entry level gear (M-Audio?) is much more reliable
e) Most people who want to get into recording just want to record. Not deal with units that don't work, malfunction, or just sound bad.​

My brief experience with the UB802 was that it is pure crap. I preferred running my signal through my SoundBlaster (which sounded a heck of a lot better).

Maybe you had better luck (for the reasons listed above).

It's a pretty well-known fact that great results can be had with cheap gear (hell, the gear I use/recommended is extremely cheap). And it goes without saying that if you have great instruments, and a good band, the gear you use doesn't matter so much.
My point exactly.:cool:
therefore I think I have proven without a doubt great results can be achieved with Gear even cheaper than what you have recommended.

ya sure Behringer is cheap bargan basement shit gear but You can get good results with it.

Back