a few quick questions

liv_rong

Knows very little
ok, so i have a couple questions that im sure most can answer easily.

why is it when i record something it sounds loud on theheadphones, but when i play it back its so quite? it really sucks when im tracking over another instrument and it is so quite that i have to turn the recorded track way up to compensate for whatever source i am recording over it. its not a huge hassle to do that, its just more screwing around while recording, and then bringing it all back down while mixing.

next question, why do i have the otion to change my sample rate of my interface from 44.1 to 48kHz? i just keep it at 44.1, doesnt seem like it would make much of a difference to make it higher.

if i am listening through my monitors and have my headphone amp on the sound is different than if i had the headphone amp off. does this make sense? it seems to me like it shouldnt make any difference. could i have it hooked up wrong??

i know these are all probably silly questions, these are just some things ive been wonderiong about for a while now.

thanks for any answers you may have.

ok bye

What headphone amp are you using?

Sounds like you need to turn the gain up while tracking so your monitoring level is loud enough to play over the other track(s). Also, if you are recording at proper levels, that leaves you about -18 to -12 or somewhere around there, of headroom to turn the track volume up while recording.

This is normal for me. I always turn up the volume on the track fader while recording so I can hear myself better, and turn it down again when mixing.

If you're using a crappy headphone amp, I suppose it could make things sound a little different. I use the Presonus HP4 with my speakers and headphones and it seems crystal clear to me, so I've never experienced that.

Your headphone mix is (well, it'd better be) independent from your monitor mix in the first place. Nothing secret there. You could certainly be in need of a better headphone amp.

48kHz is a video standard. If your project is destined for video, track at 48kHz.

so should i be running my amp off of the headphne out on my mixer?

i have a samson c-que 8. it sounds good and clear. i have it running from an output on my c-control, with two 1/4" unbalanced cables.

when i am recording, i plug my headphones into the mixer, and if im tracking someone else they go off the headphone amp. i also run my headphones off the board when im checking mixes. so, in other words, im only using the headphone amp if more than one person is involved.

Maybe there's some confusion here... The headphone output on your mixer isn't for your headphone mix...

You run an aux from your interface to your headphone amp. The mixer has nothing to do with it. The headphone out on the mixer (generally) is the same as the CR out.

do i run from an aux send?

whats wrong with the control room mix?

i know it seems like a dumb question, i just dont understand. ive never had any problems going form the control room mix.

and thanks for your answers thus far and any other you may have for me

Back