about my "another pre amp" thread...i may have won

liv_rong

Knows very little
Ok,

so i knew i wanted a better pre, and I also knew I wanted another condensor, so I got both.

this is what i settled on. i will upgrade to another good qualtiy pre, and mic later.
vegas074.jpg

vegas075.jpg

Only thing that sucks is i have to wait for the shockmount because they somehow lost it, they are going to order me another and they gave me some crappy universal one for free for now. The mic was in a display case, just the mic, but the shockmount was not in the case.

i have yet to try it out because i have to reconfigure everything and move my other power conditoner closer to my computer and other stuff. I wanted to see what the tube mic would do for me.

what do you guys think? did I make a poor decision?
anyone used one of these yet?

hahahaha my fault.

i was trying to say that because i use a preamp w/ 48v phantom power for my other mics.

i dont need to get a pre for this, because it has its own power supply.

oops:D

I have a V69, and it's a pretty nice mic (especially if you replace the tube with a new old stock tube), but you sure as hell need a pre.

god damn it.

you see, i thought i did, and those stupid fucks at guitar center were wrong again. they always try to tell me some bullshit about things i know are wrong.

this was something i didnt know about, and I trusted them. Now i hate them even more.

fuckin Liars!!

hahahaha my fault.

i was trying to say that because i use a preamp w/ 48v phantom power for my other mics.

i dont need to get a pre for this, because it has its own power supply.

oops:D

yep, that's wrong info, the pre is an "AMP" and it includes a "Phantom power" unit because so many people uses condenser, it's primary job is still an "amp". The tube mics in general uses it's own power source, so you can turn off that phantom power but still need some sort of amp. There's actually mic pre out there that has amp but no phantom power, i got one of these before.

in general yes they are ok.

but time after time i always get some guy trying to sell me some stuff I dont need, all the while giving me wrong info. on products.

its all about the commision for most of them.

there are a lot of cool dudes there that take care of me and are friendly and thoughtfull.

its the guys who try to be professional salesmen that get to me. the guys that say whatever they want to try to sell me stuff.

i just keep my mouth shut and nod my head, but i know when they are feeding me crap.

the mic purchase, i was fed crap.

sure i should have done more research, but i put my trust into him and he let me down

hahaha...when i was typing my 1st response to this topic, i thought to myself..."he must've gotten that thing @ GC"

you got swindled dude

I think you're being a little hard on the guy.

If he was, in fact, merely looking out for his commission ... then he wouldn't have told you that you don't need a preamp. :D

Rather, he would have told you that you need like 10 preamps.

In your case, you just happened to to be talking with someone who just wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. And there's nothing wrong with that, inherently. I mean, he can't help it that he's not very smart or just not educated on his product. I mean ... it's not a very high-paying gig, so it's probably not going to attract many ivy league grads any time soon. :D

And if it was a higher-paying gig that attracted smart people ... then you'd wind up having to pay twice as much. You got a good price on something, but in return, the service wasn't so hot. So what are you complaining about, really? I mean ... it is what it is!

god damn it.

you see, i thought i did, and those stupid fucks at guitar center were wrong again. they always try to tell me some bullshit about things i know are wrong.

this was something i didnt know about, and I trusted them. Now i hate them even more.

fuckin Liars!!

Well, while you're saving your money until you can get a preamp to use with the V69 mic (that can't be used without a preamp), you can spend the time studying about recording. If you're going to get into recording, it's good to know some things, like that a tube condenser mic still needs a preamp to amplify the signal to line level before that mic can be used to record anything.

yeah, luckily i have a couple pre's already, so its not such a bad thing.

im not really that mad at all. i just wish he was honest about the fact that he didnt know exactly. if he would have told me that, it would have been different.

not such a bad thing, i did get a good mic and some other stuff out the door for 300, so all in all its ok.

ill just have to get the Art MPA Gold next week, once i get paid again. You know its funny, it is my own ignorance that forced me into this situation. I went in there to get some software, but got sidetracked by the mics hahaha.

oh well:D

Ya gotta think, it depends on what the sales person thought. Some people buy a preamp simply because they need phantom power. For example on many of the tascam usb interfaces etc, they have a preamp but don't have phantom power. Maybe he was saying you don't need a preamp since you don't need phantom for this particular mic?

Just a thought. Not everyone at GC is bad. and as already mentioned, I doubt he was just trying to sell you something, else he would've sold you a preamp as well.

In your case, you just happened to to be talking with someone who just wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. And there's nothing wrong with that, inherently. I mean, he can't help it that he's not very smart or just not educated on his product. I mean ... it's not a very high-paying gig, so it's probably not going to attract many ivy league grads any time soon. :D

Yea, see... your first mistake, Mister Original Poster, was in asking a question at BanjoMart. You have about a 50/50 shot at getting someone who is either very knowledgeable in their section, or someone who doesn't know a guitar string from a guitar cable from a bass drum. That's what the Internet is for... months and months of research. *sigh*

In the end you wind up with a more useful product though. And yes, as 90 others said, the power supply for the tube mic powers the tubes, and does nothing else (well, it might also control polar pattern, but I don't know if the V67 or whatever has that). Don't fret, I thought the exact same thing when I bought my first tube condenser - fortunately I had preamps to use with it, but I couldn't find a straight answer until I got the Rode and played with it.

Back