AT4050, RE20, and which pre for $500?

HeyHeyMyMy

Red Member
Hi folks,

Looking for something used in the $500 range to use for vocals and acoustic guitar. My setup is low-end, but I'd like something a little better to use just for vox and acoustic. My main microphones for vocals are an AT4050 and an RE20. Would something like a Univeral Audio LA Solo 610 be all right? Perhaps a GT Brick? Used API 512c?

I've been trolling around and these suggestions seem to pop up consistently. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the response.

I'm looking for something that will impart a little tasteful coloration. I've read up on the RNP and I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. I'll take a look at the other that youe recommended. Thanks again, Big Kenny.

RNP
DAV Broadhurst Gardens - 1

+1. Both of those would work well. The API 512c would be a bit of a stretch pricewise unless you already have a lunchbox. Used 512cs go for @$550, but a used lunchbox will run you another $350 or so. On the other hand, then you can fill the lunchbox:D. If you do go with a 500 form unit, you should also consider the Purple Audio Biz if you want a color pre. They sell used for about the same as the API.

You might also get lucky and find a Peavey VMP-2 for @$600 or so. That's on the low end for those, but they go for that every now and then. A used Chameleon would also be a consideration for a color piece.

Thanks, Pohaku. Very good points. I had looked into the 500 form units and had written them off because I don't have a lunchbox, only to forget and list the 512c as a potential solution. Purchasing a lunchbox would definitely be a bad idea, since I know I'd be tempted to fill it.

Anyway, I'll take a look at some of the units you suggested. Thanks for the input.

Man, just today I read two glowing, independent reviews of the AT 4040 (which I have) and as the 4050 is a tube condenser, I would think it would have all the good stuff the 4040 has AND add some warmth- best coloration I would think anyone would want. Sounds to me like you already have a great setup- why mess with near-perfection?

I think that the 4060 is the tube mic in the the AT line. Yes, the 4050 is a great mic, as is the 4040 and the EV RE20, but I need a better pre than those which are in my Firepod or my DMP3. They're not terrible, but I think it's time for a step up.

I got a used Joe Meek OneQ and have pretty happy with it so far. You can use just the pre and have a pretty un-colored pre, or you can pass through the comp or harmonic enhancer which is sort of a adjustable harmonic distortion section.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy I got mine.

F.S.

I noticed the other day that you can pick up the Blue Robbie for $599. Have a look around for reviews. Might be a worthy consideration.

I noticed the other day that you can pick up the Blue Robbie for $599. Have a look around for reviews. Might be a worthy consideration.

I was wondering how long it would take for that to happen (big price drop on Robbie).:D

For $600 it might indeed be a very worthy option.

I was wondering how long it would take for that to happen (big price drop on Robbie).:D

For $600 it might indeed be a very worthy option.

I took a little look around at zzounds, sweetwater, etc. and the Robbie still seems to be selling for around a grand there. Is there a place you folks would recommend I look instead?

Also, what's the verdict on the Toft EC-1? There's a guy selling a couple of them on Gearslutz for a pretty reasonable price.

I don't know. Maybe ebay. I don't see it listed for that price anywhere either--but that's what I think it's worth.

What's the word on the Robby... I haven't really heard anything about it's sound... and never could get past it's looks... but just like an ugly whore... if the price was low enough... and the performance is good...

There is a guy on ebay that is selling loads of the Blue range (mics, leads & Robbie). He sells them at a BUY IT NOW price of $599. He also sometimes auctions them and I've seen one go for as little as $420ish !

What's the word on the Robby... I haven't really heard anything about it's sound... and never could get past it's looks... but just like an ugly whore... if the price was low enough... and the performance is good...

There's a thread on Gearslutz discussing its poor build quality / quality control, too.

Back