If There's A Program That I Download Off Torrent Site And It Has A Serial Number....

Paying your fucking way has nothing to do with corporate america. It's about understanding that you don't just get put on this earth with a god given right to everything you want. You have to earn it.

This whole 'being brainwashed by corporate america' is so fucking tired it's untrue. And it reeks to me of an excuse from someone who cannot be bothered to get off his goddamn lazy arse and earn his fucking living. What you think you are entitled to get for free what other more honest people have worked hard for? What are you, some kind of communist?

Put it this way, do you know how fucking hard the developers of this software work so that we can make our music as efficiently as possible? Yeah there's a fucking price tag to it. Of course there is. These guys work fucking hard. What you don't think they ought to get paid for that? You think it's easy to make this kind of software? You think it doesn't deserve a reasonable paycheck of some kind?

We fine, if thats the case, if it's so fucking easy, then quit stealing other people's software, and make your own.

You think software costs too much? Well if people like you would pay for it instead of trying to steal it, perhaps they could drop the price tag to something more reasonable. I worked and saved to buy my copy of Cubase. I don't call that being sucked in, I call that working for a purpose.

Hell, I'd like a detached house with acres of land, a sports car, numerous different guitars and amps, one of these, my own studio, about 10 more preamps and a shitload of microphones, and an attractive 21 year old blonde in the sack. So what? You think I should steal all of that? Well I can guarantee that even you would have moral issues with the last one. You've got to work for what you want. Life ain't a free ride.

MessianicDreams said:
man...i hope that you're being sarcastic and i'm just missing it. cuz otherwise........talk about delusional!

yes, a personal attack is a good way to counter my incisive sarcasm with a very real point that rings true for those who aren't conformist drones.

legionserial said:
Paying your fucking way has nothing to do with corporate america. It's about understanding that you don't just get put on this earth with a god given right to everything you want. You have to earn it.

This whole 'being brainwashed by corporate america' is so fucking tired it's untrue. And it reeks to me of an excuse from someone who cannot be bothered to get off his goddamn lazy arse and earn his fucking living. What you think you are entitled to get for free what other more honest people have worked hard for? What are you, some kind of communist?

Put it this way, do you know how fucking hard the developers of this software work so that we can make our music as efficiently as possible? Yeah there's a fucking price tag to it. Of course there is. These guys work fucking hard. What you don't think they ought to get paid for that? You think it's easy to make this kind of software? You think it doesn't deserve a reasonable paycheck of some kind?

We fine, if thats the case, if it's so fucking easy, then quit stealing other people's software, and make your own.

You think software costs too much? Well if people like you would pay for it instead of trying to steal it, perhaps they could drop the price tag to something more reasonable. I worked and saved to buy my copy of Cubase. I don't call that being sucked in, I call that working for a purpose.

Hell, I'd like a detached house with acres of land, a sports car, numerous different guitars and amps, one of these, my own studio, about 10 more preamps and a shitload of microphones, and an attractive 21 year old blonde in the sack. So what? You think I should steal all of that? Well I can guarantee that even you would have moral issues with the last one. You've got to work for what you want. Life ain't a free ride.

don't talk that weak talk with me lil boy boy, I done worked harder then you ever will, the proletariat is the backbone of society, you're the leech, the rich and the middle class.

pacman9000 said:
don't talk that weak talk with me lil boy boy, I done worked harder then you ever will, the proletariat is the backbone of society, you're the leech, the rich and the middle class.

McDonald's cashier window isn't "hard work".

pacman9000 said:

Ok so let pretend for a second that what you just said was anything more than a cliched soundbite stright out of the lyric sheet from some hippy record, or the same from an essay by some digruntled beret-wearing psuedo-communist-che-guevara-t-shirt-wearing-sanctimonious-faggot-political-student....

What the fuck would you know to call me a rich middle class leech? I'm a public servant pulling in a crappy wage, I work long hours and juggle my meargre earnings so that I can live in relative comfort and make music in an environment where noise doesn't bother people. My cat eats better than I do. But at the same time, I like my life. I get satisfaction out of knowing that what I have, I earned. But it pisses me off when fucks like you come here and critisise the honest ones of us who pay our way. It's your choice if you want to live in a capitalist country. You wanna be communist, then live somewhere that better suits your needs. Don't expect the world to change just for you and your minority of dickhead lazy ass pricks who are of no use to society.

You sir, are the fucking leech. It's right there in black and white. You want shit for free that the rest of us pay for. If we didn't pay for it, it wouldn't be made in the first place. Remember that. So you want to get fat off of what we worked hard to grow. That is the true definition of a parasite.

...But of course. You don't really mean what you said. Hell, you probably don't know what it means. Like I say, it's a tired old soundbite. Repeated to the point of meaninglessness. Do yourself a favour, try to articulate things in your own words in future. That way you might not come across as such a pretentious little prick.

Last edited:
MessianicDreams said:
If I was to download a cracked software that I don't have any intention of buying (for example something really expensive like Waves Diamond bundle), who am I hurting? I'm not talking abou moralities or legalities. I simply want to know who's life am I depriving (of something, anything..) by doing that?

You're not hurting anyone.

Well, except the pride of the real activists on here that are either :

a) Pissed that that they didn't realise they could get it for free for personal use
b) Bought the software and for some reason get pissed off that others' didn't
c) Have shitloads of money and presume everyone else does too.

boingoman said:
You guys can use all the cracked software you want, just don't try to rationalize it. It makes you sound stupid.

Short transcript :

Boingoman Said : I'm an idiot, and I can't actually counter your point.

In fact you've not put up a decent argument anywhere in this thread. If you're not interested, then go to a different thread. If you are, then contribute something other than smilies and cutting remarks. Unfortunately it looks like you're taking it a little personally, which is very sad.

P-J said:
Short transcript :

Boingoman Said : I'm an idiot, and I can't actually counter your point.

In fact you've not put up a decent argument anywhere in this thread. .

You haven't made any points. All you have said is "This is what I do, and this is why I do it."

Last edited:
P-J said:
You're not hurting anyone.

Well, except the pride of the real activists on here that are either :

a) Pissed that that they didn't realise they could get it for free for personal use
b) Bought the software and for some reason get pissed off that others' didn't
c) Have shitloads of money and presume everyone else does too.

I think everyone knows that downloading is hurting people trying to make a living designing programs. It raises the costs of the product because they have to account for the people downloading it, and it raises the costs even more because they have to try to come up with safety features to prevent it in the first place.

The only people who end up ahead are usually the big companies that can afford to have a bunch of people download their software for free, since they sell so many copies to start with.

There are many small companies who have gone under because there software was so easily distrubuted for free.

P-J said:
Funny that, since that is what I do for a living.

So if you get laid off because your employers can't afford to pay you, because they aren't pulling in enough cash, because 50% of the people are getting for free what you provide, that would be absolutely fine with you?

legionserial said:
So if you get laid off because your employers can't afford to pay you, because they aren't pulling in enough cash, because 50% of the people are getting for free what you provide, that would be absolutely fine with you?

I'd think about it logically.

I'd think that people who pirate for themselves aren't likely to buy if the software is out of the price range, so it's not likely they'd buy anyway.

I'd worry about the people who pirate for money, and are selling cheaper copies to innocent people who don't realise it is a copy. Those are the people that would bother me.

Anyway, this isn't hypothetical, this has actually happened to me in my first job. I'm not bitter, not in the slightest. This isn't a fib to try and give my post some impact, I have been in the situation you described, albeit quite a long time ago now.

A lot of this comes back to bite me anyway, since I end up becoming a 'try before you buy' pirate. You think I'm going to buy Windows Vista for example? I buy it, it's shit, I can't return it due to the draconian EULA and I'm stuffed. A lot of software has no 'trial', hence I can't plump wads of cash for something I've never even been able to sample, or I can't install since it can be destructive in it's nature. Like an operating system, for example.

The "It's law so you're wrong" stance doesn't work either. People speed on the roads every day (I'm sure shitloads of people on this forum do) and that action takes lives. Yet people complain about low speed limits and speed cameras, and then continue to speed.

Gah, I don't want this to become personal, I know everyone has their own gripes about this or that. Maybe I'll just stop now.

Last edited:
Back then it was video games, now it's just corporate applications for hotels/conference centres. Not very exciting :)

Lets just leave this now though, I'm obviously very much in the minority and it'd be better if I just shut up now.

P-J said:
I'd think about it logically.

I'd think that people who pirate for themselves aren't likely to buy if the software is out of the price range, so it's not likely they'd buy anyway.

I'd worry about the people who pirate for money, and are selling cheaper copies to innocent people who don't realise it is a copy. Those are the people that would bother me.

Anyway, this isn't hypothetical, this has actually happened to me in my first job. I'm not bitter, not in the slightest. This isn't a fib to try and give my post some impact, I have been in the situation you described, albeit quite a long time ago now.

A lot of this comes back to bite me anyway, since I end up becoming a 'try before you buy' pirate. You think I'm going to buy Windows Vista for example? I buy it, it's shit, I can't return it due to the draconian EULA and I'm stuffed. A lot of software has no 'trial', hence I can't plump wads of cash for something I've never even been able to sample, or I can't install since it can be destructive in it's nature. Like an operating system, for example.

The "It's law so you're wrong" stance doesn't work either. People speed on the roads every day (I'm sure shitloads of people on this forum do) and that action takes lives. Yet people complain about low speed limits and speed cameras, and then continue to speed.

Gah, I don't want this to become personal, I know everyone has their own gripes about this or that. Maybe I'll just stop now.

Once again, powerful posting my friend.

And you're right, it's time to move on, it was an interesting discussion for a minute but I think you've said all that needs to be said here.

I don't hold grudges against the people with opposing viewpoints either (atleast not any strong grudges) but you certainly put their arguments to bed.

The End.

I would also like to thank all the members of this board that have already helped answer some of very basic computer questions that I was struggling with having just purchased my first computer ever!

This forum seems to have a wide range of viewpoints and levels of knowledge, I like the diversity.

pacman9000 said:
Once again, powerful posting my friend.

Dude, it's not powerful posting. It's his point of view, which essentially comes down to "I'm going to do what I want". Which is fine, but not really "powerful" in any meaningful way. :)

Who's it hurting?

It's because of guys like you I can't even take a shit without shoving a dongle up my nose!!! I payed for my software and because of a bunch of whining little "try before you buy" pirating shitheads, I have to have two dongles, passkeys, serials.........blah blah blah. Try before you buy! That's what the demos are for! I hope your pirated crap infects your drive beyond recognition. Legion, you are right on.

ridgeback said:
It's because of guys like you I can't even take a shit without shoving a dongle up my nose!!! I payed for my software and because of a bunch of whining little "try before you buy" pirating shitheads, I have to have two dongles, passkeys, serials.........blah blah blah. Try before you buy! That's what the demos are for! I hope your pirated crap infects your drive beyond recognition. Legion, you are right on.

Hehe. Although this is clearly bullshit, it gave me a good laugh ;)

No-one asked them to create these ridiculous anti-copying measures, and you are the fool for accepting them. Crackers and so forth will always find ways round these protections, so it is the developers/publishers inability to recognise this fact that causes you hardship.

It's basically DRM in a different form, and who likes DRM, right?

Besides, if you're so bothered, why not buy the software and use a cracked version? Or are you even opposed to THAT?

Also, it's unlikely I'd get 'infected beyond recognition' since I'm perfectly able to keep my system in good shape.

Just remember the Sony rootkit scandal, and then try and tell me it's the pirates fault, not the publishers...

Anyway, all the personal insults make your post fairly laughable anyway, so I won't take any of it seriously. Oh, and for the record, I think it's fairly obvious which one of us is 'whining' :)

Back