Sennheiser e609 vs e906

The presence filter switch is the only obvious difference......other than the price hike. I dont know the manufacturing specs, but I would guess it's basically the same mic guts.

My suggestion is get the E609, set your tone at your amp instead of relying on the mic switch, then use the money you save to get other mics or other gear. Besides, it's a LOT MORE FUN to tweak your amp than it is to mess with that switch.

soundchaser59 said:
The presence filter switch is the only obvious difference......other than the price hike. I dont know the manufacturing specs, but I would guess it's basically the same mic guts.

My suggestion is get the E609, set your tone at your amp instead of relying on the mic switch, then use the money you save to get other mics or other gear. Besides, it's a LOT MORE FUN to tweak your amp than it is to mess with that switch.

not quite the same mic, info on thier web site.
and i'd rather f with mics than my tone, esp since that mic si anything but transparent, sometimes you're going to want other options (mic wise) and it will be because it's the wrong mic for the job, not because you need to change your git tone.

i'd rather the 906
but on a buget, the 609 will do you well.
(re the 609) i personally use it a lot in conjunction with other mics, but find it to often be to thin to use alone.
just my 2 cents

Yeah, I just didn't know if the switch was worth all that extra $$$$$....

I prefer the ND468 or the D770, SM57, or even an old ND757 for the guitar amp..... but I always record at least two together just so I have a choice when I start mixing....

BTW, I'm one of those psyhco's who sets a new tone on the guitar for each song, similar but never exactly the same..... I do have about 10-15 tones written down that are my favorites though...main reason why I dont wanna toy witht he mic. The amp is more fun.

I recently purchased the 609 Silver...didn't realize there was difference...I'm not so hot on this mic...it's bright and thin IMHO...it doesn't stand well on it's own. Could be an application issue but nto the the best buy I've made so far.

For guitar cabs I still prefer a LDC out front and an SM57 in the grill. I've heard good comments using this mic on toms but I haven't gotten there yet.

soundchaser59 said:
Yeah, I just didn't know if the switch was worth all that extra $$$$$....

I prefer the ND468 or the D770, SM57, or even an old ND757 for the guitar amp..... but I always record at least two together just so I have a choice when I start mixing....

BTW, I'm one of those psyhco's who sets a new tone on the guitar for each song, similar but never exactly the same..... I do have about 10-15 tones written down that are my favorites though...main reason why I dont wanna toy witht he mic. The amp is more fun.
that's interesting. i've been doing a lot of research on the topic of the best mic for a guitar amp, and no one has mentioned an nd468, d770, or nd757. why do you mention those?

thexflamesxburn said:
that's interesting. i've been doing a lot of research on the topic of the best mic for a guitar amp, and no one has mentioned an nd468, d770, or nd757. why do you mention those?

Because I own them and have used them to record my amp. I have recently done side-by-side listening, using all 4 of those mics on the amp at once, then play back the tracks and switch between them to compare while the guitar part plays back.

Someone passed the tips along to me a while back, I tried them all, and now I'm passing the same tip on in the hope that you might someday get to try the extra mics yourself.

All are good amp mics, all are affordable, and each has a slightly different "color" from the others. I've also heard other people's recordings done with those mics and I can say it is definitely easy and possible to get great guitar tracks from any of those mics, all of which are under $150. fullcompass.com has the D770 on sale right now for $56, and it handles a guitar amp quite nicely. Just depends on the particular sound you need to get. All of my songs are similar style, but no one single mic is right for every song I do. I like having the choice. And I managed to get all 4 of those mics for about $400 total (over the last 2 years).

D770 - $55
E609 - $85
ND757 - $120 (replaced it with a ND967, intended for stage vocal but works great on amps!)
ND468 - $140

My brother has the SM57 and SM58 and a D770, among others.....

soundchaser59 said:
Because I own them and have used them to record my amp. I have recently done side-by-side listening, using all 4 of those mics on the amp at once, then play back the tracks and switch between them to compare while the guitar part plays back.

Someone passed the tips along to me a while back, I tried them all, and now I'm passing the same tip on in the hope that you might someday get to try the extra mics yourself.

All are good amp mics, all are affordable, and each has a slightly different "color" from the others. I've also heard other people's recordings done with those mics and I can say it is definitely easy and possible to get great guitar tracks from any of those mics, all of which are under $150. fullcompass.com has the D770 on sale right now for $56, and it handles a guitar amp quite nicely. Just depends on the particular sound you need to get. All of my songs are similar style, but no one single mic is right for every song I do. I like having the choice. And I managed to get all 4 of those mics for about $400 total (over the last 2 years).

D770 - $55
E609 - $85
ND757 - $120 (replaced it with a ND967, intended for stage vocal but works great on amps!)
ND468 - $140

My brother has the SM57 and SM58 and a D770, among others.....
you've convinced me. i'll definitely be picking up an e609 and a nd468 next. thanks a lot!

i've got a 609, and i agree with giraffe wholeheartedly. it's thin on its own, but that's no problem for me b/c i always blend it with another mic (usually an MXL V77 or BLUE Dragonfly).

in a live tracking situation, it's nice b/c it's got great isolation.

i'll second the EV 468 (and its predecessor the 408). nice on amps and KILLS on drums as well. the 609's no drum slouch, either.

cheers,
wade

I never found the e609 to be thin-sounding, and I definitely prefer it to the SM57. However, I have the earlier black version rather than the silver version. I've heard those sound better than the silvers--is that true?

well the biggest problem i'm having is hearing palm muting clearly. whenever i palm mute, it gets very muffled and unclear. i'm hoping that the 609 will fix this to a point.

any comments on this?

thexflamesxburn said:
well the biggest problem i'm having is hearing palm muting clearly. whenever i palm mute, it gets very muffled and unclear. i'm hoping that the 609 will fix this to a point.

any comments on this?

Are you sure it's not your amp and/or cab?

Whoopysnorp said:
Are you sure it's not your amp and/or cab?
or technique? No slam, when you record palming it does get a little middy, a little 500 Hz out with a parametric does the trick for me

well i KNOW its not my amp. its a mesa boogie dual rectifier half stack, completely using monster gold cables. i'm a pro when it comes to my amp and my guitar (gibson les paul).

but as big kenny said, it could just be my technique. i haven't been in this game very long and i don't have much to work with (the preamps built into the 002r don't seem to be very good at all).

i dont have a parametric unfortunately to take out that frequency, unless i can just screw around with tracks-eq and figure something out.

i'm looking to get myself the presonus mp20 dual-channel preamp. it seems like a great little tool to have.

Just a quick note......

I just got my mixer back from the shop so I am testing everything out. I have three mics hooked up and sitting in front of my guitar amp.....E609, D770, and ND468. All 3 mics have identical settings, no fx, no eq, etc.

I was playing leads and switching between the mics and I was quite surprised at howmuch better the 468 sounds than any other mic I've ever used on my amp. The E609 was much better than the D770, brighter and hotter and required less trim gain than the other two. But the 468 was by far the fullest, hottest sounding, and most accurate sounding mic of the three.

I'll do some experimenting with mic placement just to see if I can even out the results somewhat. I suspect each mic has its place, and it's best use, and placement is obviously a huge part of the amp sound equation.

FYI.....

Whoopysnorp said:
However, I have the earlier black version rather than the silver version. I've heard those sound better than the silvers--is that true?

there's a definite sonic difference between the black and silver versions, with the black being "fuller" sounding.

soundchaser59 said:
But the 468 was by far the fullest, hottest sounding, and most accurate sounding mic of the three.

i'm not at all surprised. :D

however, the true pudding proof is how good it sounds in the context of a mix. there are times where the thinner, less full sounding guitar works a lot better than the beefy, excellent sounding one.

YMMV, of course.

cheers,
wade

Whoopysnorp said:
I never found the e609 to be thin-sounding, and I definitely prefer it to the SM57. However, I have the earlier black version rather than the silver version. I've heard those sound better than the silvers--is that true?

the mic you have is much better than the silver in my experience.

thexflamesxburn said:
well i KNOW its not my amp. its a mesa boogie dual rectifier half stack, completely using monster gold cables. i'm a pro when it comes to my amp and my guitar (gibson les paul).

Rectos are pretty well known for having a boominess/loose bass that is hard to tame, and this would definitely be accentuated when doing palm mutes. No slam or anything; you just may have to set your amp in a way that wouldn't necessarily sound right for live playing.

Back