Recording Acoustic & Vocal tonight... need some ideas.

citizenkeith

I'm recording some demos for a friend tonight. He's going to sing and play acoustic guitar at the same time. For him, these will be demos to give to his bandmates so they can learn the songs.

For me, I want to use this opportunity to try some new things. While this will just be a demo CD of 10-12 songs, I'd like to take some time to make it sound like an album. I think the challenge is to make such a minimal performance sound interesting.

I finished a project with this guy last month, and at that time I used an AT4050 in cardioid on the acoustic and a Shure SM7 for the vocal. I don't have the SM7, because that was on loan from a friend at the time. After reading some posts and articles online, I decided I would try the AT4050 on the acoustic again, but this time in a figure 8 pattern. This way I can try to minimize the vocal bleed by positioning the mic so the vocal hits the null area.

Since the AT4050 is my only mic with a figure 8 pattern, I'll need to pick something else for the vocal. I don't have any hypercardioids either, so it's pretty much down to cardioids. I have to choose between an Audix SCX-25 (on loan, and I've never used it), a Rode NT5, an Altec lipstick M20 (probably not since I'll have to crank the preamp too much), a Unidyne SM57, Shure SM58 or some AKG stage dynamic mic. I may switch it up, but I suppose I'll just have to find something that's good for his voice.

Also, my room is really dead. Not much variety possible in that area.

So I figure I'll try stuff like ADT, my trusty Stella oil can reverb, or using my living room or bathroom as a makeshift echo chamber when my wife isn't around. I think the key is not to go overboard on effects, but to just keep things subtle with enough variety to make it interesting. The only thing I have to compare this to would be an acoustic Robyn Hitchcock record, like Eye, I Often Dream of Trains, You and Oblivion or Luxor. A lot of those have additional instruments added, which may or may not be possible.

Any other ideas, tips or suggestions? Like I said, this is more of an experiemtnal/learning experience to me. I'm not charging him since he's a good friend, and I play drums for him a lot. He'll be patient with me and allow me to try different things...

go HERE and have a listen to PENNY or STAR....

Both recorded with one mic, a studio projects B1. I ran a click track and got him to do a scratch of each song both playing and singing. Then we went back and recorded the guitar on it's own then overdubbed the vocal. Added backing vocals and laid down more acoustic guitar parts. Using the click we could go back and rerecord more parts without having to worry about timing issues. It was a fun session and a good learning experience for me when I was starting out recording.

Good luck with the session,

Alec

If you can record multiple tracks simultaneously. Put a mic farm in front of the guy. You can then mix then down to your pleasure. And keep a record of how your mics compare.

Juan

astrolopitec said:
If you can record multiple tracks simultaneously. Put a mic farm in front of the guy. You can then mix then down to your pleasure. And keep a record of how your mics compare.

Juan

He's using ONE mic

Sounds like he's using 2 mics...the AT4050 for the guitar and he's looking for another mic for the vocals.

Here's something DOT had posted awhile back. I tried it and it's pretty cool.

---------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's another trick. This is a technique for someone who wants to sing and play acoustic guitar at the same time.

Set up the vocal cardioid mic at the height of the singer's mouth about 9" away – give or take a few ".

Put a second cardioid mic down past the bridge - out about 1' or so away from the guitar. And angle the mic at 45 degrees so it's facing the bridge of the guitar.

Set levels and make your recording.

Then, at mixdown, take the track that used the mic to record the guitar at the bridge, and pan it hard right and reverse the phase. And the track with the vocal should be panned dead center. What will happen is that the guitar track [ while being played with the vocal track on ] will suddenly spread to both speakers and "back up" a bit in the mix – and any of the "boominess" will be gone due to the phase cancellation with the vocal mic. And the track with the vocal will have more room and sit in this nice hole created in the center.

Very effective, and can give a nice, polished sound.

Now we know why he's called "Jumping" Gerry. :rolleyes:

Gerry, your original post asking this question in a new thread is incomplete, you cut off in mid-sentence. Take a Valium and a deep breath, edit that post to finish off your description, and you'll get some help for sure.

G.

Thanks for the (on topic) replies. ;) My session has been moved to Saturday afternoon, so I still have time to think this through...

I'll probably use the AT4050 on the vocals now, instead of the Audix. I think, for what I have in mind, I'd like less guitar bleed on the vocal mic. I'll try the Audix on the guitar instead.

However, I'll also take Juan's advice and set up a mic farm in front of him. I like choices.

All the other suggestions have got me thinking of other techniques. I'll probably have him double the acoustic guitar on a few songs. Maybe even double the vocals, if he'll go for that. (Kind of insprired by Alec's suggestion; I don't think he wants to bother playing each part seperately, which is fine by me. I like a live performance, personally).

I really like the post from DOT that Dan reprinted here. I'll try that for a song or two, for sure.

I may also pick one song to record with a stereo mic setup, picking up both vocal and acoustic. I might have to try an MS setup, which I haven't done before.

Any additional suggestions are welcome!

Keith

I'd say you're overthinking it. The guy wants a demo so his band can learn the songs, right?

Put up the 4050 about 2-3 feet from the guy. Plug it in. Adjust level. Record.

AGCurry said:
I'd say you're overthinking it. The guy wants a demo so his band can learn the songs, right?

Read my initial post: I can use this opportunity to try some new techniques and learn. He's willing to go along with me.

Mic farm for today:

AT4050 - vocal
Audix SCX-25A - guitar

Unidyne SM57 - vocal
Unidyne SM57 - guitar

Altec M20 - vocal
Altec M20 - guitar

Pair of Rode NT5s, near-coincident ORTF.

I'll pick a song or two to try MS with the AT4050 and the Audix.

When I am setting up for an AC gtr and vocal together, I just put something aiming at the guitar, and I alighn the diaphragm of that mic to the diaphragm of whatever i am using for vocal.

Treat the person and the guitar as a "section" making one big noise.

Back