what's wrong with me

rayn_man

I can't get a decent responce from anyone on this song. all I hear is "it is a good song". not that that is really a bad thing but i have seen what people call a good song. I am not fishing for complements but I am trying to figure out why this isn't a great song. I did it all myself, just incase you were going to ask. small home studio.
Dance with kerosene: www.mp3.com/ryanmcdougall

rayn_man said:
I am trying to figure out why this isn't a great song.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of response you're looking for, but I'll take a shot at "I am trying to figure out why this isn't a great song". I'll give it my fairest assessment.

I'll try to explain it this way:
A bad song - even fans of the artist or genre aren't excited about this

An okay song - perhaps a song on an album of an artist that you are a fan of, that you don't mind listening through to get to another, but nothing too exciting...in other words, nothing wrong with it, but nothing too memorable

A good/really good song - one that allows people to identify with it in terms of lyrics and/or music. All fans of the artist will probably like this song....for people who weren't fans before, this might or might not convert them to fans...make them want to hear more....

A great song - a song that stretches the boundaries of just genre fans (ie. a rock fan saying, "man i know it's a country song, & i'm not supposed to like it, but it's a great song") and people can't help but identifying with it. A near must for a great song would be a strong melody that gets caught in the head...you can't get it out of your head.....if you go to one track on the album, it would be this one (of course, albums CAN have more than one great song). There are tons of great songs like this out there.

Now, I would say that "Dance with Kerosene" (for me) sits somewhere between an okay song and a good song. Let me explain.........if the song was on an album i liked, i'd listen to it occasionally, but it's something that i wouldn't dig out just for this song. I can see someone that strongly identifies with the lyrics calling it a good song.....I didn't strongly identify with the lyrics, they were decent though.

No, I don't think it's great. As I sit here typing, I've heard it several times already, and have no real recolection of the melody, lyrics, or song other than it was mellow. It's a song that could grow on you, but great songs usually don't have to take time to seep in and grow on you.

Self-assess yourself and let me know what you think. Take yourself out of it in terms of you being the songwriter. Try your hardest to look at it objectively. Do you think it is a great song? Why or why not?

One final tip: As a songwriter, don't be afraid to write a crappy song. Don't be afraid to write a good song. Don't be afraid to write a great song. Just keep writing. If you have to question if you think it is great...it probably isn't. Don't let that stop you from moving on and writing a new one.

Yeah, powderfinger got it spot on.

It really helps if you view every song just as a step on the road to working out how to write a great one.

Just like love, the best things come when you're not looking.

absolutely

for every "slightly ok" song i have ever penned i have books and books of absolute shit....BUT sometimes when writing a new song ..ill go back through those old pieces of crap and find something that i can tweak a little and make work in whatever im working on at the moment....i have tablets filled with just phrases...stuff that has a cool meter to it..or a diff way of saying the same old thing.....i keep it all and you should too...what you thought was worthless today might seem perfect 3 mths from now.....just my thoughts..

jamal

i think powder pretty much summed it up, some good info there. This song is pretty cool, the quality is nice.. just not really my style. But all the things Powder said are great points.

I really enjoyed the song, but like powder said it's something that sounds like it has to grow on you... unlike, what powder said though, some of the songs I think are great I absolutely hated the first time I heard them... Listening to your song intrigued me. It made me want to hear it again... I think if you play that up, put some more depth musically to the song, it's going to be one of those songs that you listen to over and over again and still hear something new. The only thing I really missed in it, and this may have been intentional, was a refrain melodically. Maybe I just missed it, but that's something that's going to make this song stick in someone's head is some repeated melody. Make not only the lyrics, but the music have themes, like a symphony, where you introduce a new theme (the verse) and then return to the overall theme of the piece (the chorus).... I don't know though, those are just my opinions, I could be wrong.

Hey man,
There are some great comments above....

Powderfinger pretty much nailed it...

I listened quite a few times and lyrically I got lost...

Musically....perhaps a lead and a tempo change for the chorus would make it more enthralling...

Good luck man,
Write on :D
Joe

Back