What vocal technique is this?

Big Thier

Hi, I was wondering if the chorus (0:53) was sung in chest voice. It sounds kind of funny to me, and I know for a fact I can't reach these notes in chest voice unless I really strain and belt it out. I know there is vocal stacking going on (I'm hearing at least 3 during the chorus).

YouTube

It's called "French". It's a weird technique popular in parts of Europe and Canada.
:D

I think it is just chest voice towards the upper end of his register. (Plus lots of vocal stacking and super-tight editing (and probably tuning)).

*edit*
Heck, it's possible that all of the stacking and editing is being used to cover HIM straining a lot to hit those notes!

It's dreadful sounding - certainly not something to emulate as a positive - although the entire track is weird, to be honest, so I'm nowhere near the right person to judge. I didn't hear anything very special just some thickening and layering - for no apparent reason.

He has a female backing vocalist or maybe two. Yeah, stacking and mixing. It's not his voice that you are hearing in the upper ranges.

It's dreadful sounding - certainly not something to emulate as a positive - although the entire track is weird, to be honest, so I'm nowhere near the right person to judge. I didn't hear anything very special just some thickening and layering - for no apparent reason.

I quite like it. Just goes to show ya, different strokes and all that.

Back