Vocal tracking techniques that might help with pitch?

I setup all my vocal tracks with the same "preset" FX which is basically just some reverb (which helps me hear myself through the music) with the monitor volume cranked. I'll record a scratch take or two then create a second vocal track and sing along to the original track, sometimes I'll create a third track and sing along to both the original vocal tracks, then I'll alternate my takes going from 1, 2 & 3 until I feel like I've got got 2 or 3 takes that all sound good together (phrasing, sync, pitch, etc...) then I remove the FX and comp the best sections.

If I need a backing vocal, I'll just sing along to my newly comped take. I'll almost always sing the entire song all the way through, even if I mess up, unless I totally botch it from the first line or something. Having your melody mapped out on a separate track w/ piano is super helpful too to get the first few takes down, then I usually remove it. Cool thread to see what everyone's process is.

If you have the multitrack, try eliminating elements from the headphone mix that conflict with the melody they're singing. Sometimes a vocalist who has pitch problems is actually being thrown off by... for example... the bassline. So, if you greatly reduced the volume of the bassline (in that hypothetical situation) or muted it temporarily, sometimes that can help. Ask the vocalist (tactfully) if there's something in the mix that's bothering them, and/or just observe (don't ask them if you think it's going to make them insecure or they'll take it as an insult -which will degrade the performance in ways even autotune can't fix. in that case just observe, make adjustments, and quietly assess if there's any difference without tipping them off that there's a problem).

I use autotune, then I listen to the autotuned version of my voice and after that, I sing it again with more correct pitches. For some reason, I'm also off key at times, but I've made some strides with that by finally singing with a correct key and range for my new music. I haven't released a single so yet after 13 years, though, and I only recently started singing in the right range. It was really a task pinning down which notes I sound best wit, but if you do it, you may improve. I also use autotune a bit tastefully. If you hear my rock ballad song in the mixing post, you can hear my example.

Back