vocal chain in order

nitsurfr69

Okay I have a focustrite 6i6 going into a tmp-1 mic pre amp with upgraded tubes. into an alesis 3630 compressor? then into my pc. But I also have a tc-helicon gx-t vocal processor in the mix. what is th e best route to hook everything up in sequence? should I create a separate input for the vocal effects processor ? Then when I find the right effects on the vocal processor then I can duplicate using vst's?

Hi. And welcome-- to the Wide Wild World of Signal ..and Money :>) Flow! :)
First off, you have the order backwards;
Mic goes to mic pre, goes to compressor, to interface (6i6) to the pc.
Split ( Y' )off a line between the mic pre or compressor to a second input on the I/F if you want to track that on it's own track.
Or, add it in line in one of those same spots to include it in the existing track chain.

Last edited:
Hi. And welcome-- to the Wide Wild World of Signal ..and Money :>) Flow! :)
First off, you have the order backwards;
Mic goes to mic pre, goes to compressor, to interface (6i6) to the pc.
Split ( Y' )off a line between the mic pre or compressor to a second input on the I/F if you want to track that on it's own track.
Or, add it in line in one of those same spots to include it in the existing track chain.
If it's a condenser mic, and you want a purely dry signal from the mic, either to record or to send through the TC-Helicon, you'll want to use a mic splitter and not a 'Y' so you can manage the phantom power from the preamp.

If you want to split after the preamp, you might look at a line-level splitter instead of a 'Y' there, too, but it looked like the TC-Helicon only takes a mic input, so you'd have to do some work to get that in-line in your chain.

Good catch. Reminds me of one of my early chains;
Mic pair > phantom modules > spliters > one to the mixer for phones, one to in-line attenuators -no preamp, and 'cause QTC-1's on drums could still clip a line level A/D! :p

Mic> 6i6> PC

Ditch the TC Helicon
Ditch the Alesis 3630
Ditch the TMP-1

Okay, maybe you can use the TMP-1. If so, plug mic into that then to the 6i6
Mic> TMP-1> 6i6> PC

You can use the TC Helicon for live performances, but in the studio just sing the harmonies yourself. If you really must use it, put it after the TMP-1. Then you can run two mic cables to the 6i6 to take advantage of the stereo output of the TC.
Mic> TMP-1> TC> 6i6> PC

But for real, just sing the harmonies. :)

i just read the TMP1 article and its 24v not 48v phntom, and has noise so its recommended to keep it 6-12db.
its got two transformers in and out which is interesting...but maybe they arent shielded, as this article said the unit had 60hz hum from his transformers. but all that can be nothing if the other tracks cover it up.

might be worth trying the Mic>6i6>PC

sell the other stuff for some other gear?

Back