Tips for improving energy/performance in vocals

ejmaroney

Greetings,

Did a search on this topic and saw some good tips back in 2004 and 2007. Thought it might be good to see if there are any new thoughts out there, or more recent people to the forum who could help out.

What are ways to get psyched up/focused/energized to the put the most in a performance?

Thanks,

Eric

Allow me to be a little more specific.

When I sing to a group (small group, think coffee house) I can do well. I can interact, I connect.

When I'm alone in the studio... imagining an audience doesn't help any more than imaging the crowd naked when I'm lecturing.

I know it's a mind game... How do I win?

GazEcc,

Thanks responding.

That would be near impossible for what I'm trying to do.

Basically I'm a one man band. Most of my music consists of me playing 3-4 guitars, bass, keys, and programming drums. Occasionally I bring in a friend to do lead work or bg vox.

The times I play are usually at small parties, on an acoustic guitar. I can seem to connect there, but I can't seem to get the vibe in my studio. Which is where it counts!

Eric

GazEcc,

Thanks responding.

Basically I'm a one man band. Most of my music consists of me playing 3-4 guitars, bass, keys, and programming drums. Occasionally I bring in a friend to do lead work or bg vox.

The times I play are usually at small parties, on an acoustic guitar. I can seem to connect there, but I can't seem to get the vibe in my studio. Which is where it counts!

Eric

Play back a track of a crowd cheering in your headphones while you record :)

GazEcc,

Thanks responding.

Eric

You could just run a stereo out from the desk into your DAW? no? or do you have direct outs on the desk and enough tracks on your interface to handle it?

I doubt any technical tricks will give you what you want. You just have to practice on your performance skills. When you're in a small audience setting, you're probably feeding off the response of the crowd. Try feeding off the flow of the song instead.

Bring in a friend or two whose musical taste you respect so you have somebody to impress. And turn the headphone level up.

When I was scared, I had the worst stage fright and could never perform to half of my potential. I know stage fright is not your problem but I think the same advice that I got that helped me applies. My coach told me that my performance is meant to be a gift that happens to currently be in possession but is to be shared with the audience. I am not showing off or trying to prove myself. In a recording, imagine that millions of people are going to hear the recording and in some way its going to affect their lives. And that's me 2 cheesy cents

One suggestion I've heard is to hold an instrument and play along while you track vocals.

It "feels" more like a live performance. You'll be physically working harder (exerting more energy). And you'll be distracted from focusing too much on getting the take perfect, so it can just flow more.

I try to treat a recording session like a gig

Holding a guitar as already suggested helps me

Also prepare as if it were a gig and give yourself limits that you stick to. if you only have 2 takes to get it right it puts some pressure on you, you have to prepare well and be ready to hit it first or second time. no punch ins etc

for me as well recording is something I do for fun, so I'll book some time in my calendar to do it but I also need to be above and ready to go at the drop of a hat in case an opportunity comes up where the wife and kids are out and I've got 30 minutes to set up and knock out a take

be excited about it and remember why you do it

Thanks guys, this is all very helpful. Sounds like I'm not alone.

The "air guitar" thing might be really useful. But, I think at the end of the day Chili's right. Practice, practice, practice.

Eric

Practice it is right. If you were a painter and decorator working on your own, you'd still have to give a great account of yourself and do a decent job when you don't feel like it. The reality is that nothing is always pleasurable, even the pleasurable things. Sometimes you have to rise up above whatever is sapping you and do what needs to be done. But that is rare in comparison to the times you'll want to do it.
So with that in mind, you'll probably be pushed to find a better nudge than
remember why you do it..........recording is something I do for fun

Back