Time for a new mic?

It's 3 pin, but the ring holding it in place is spaced differently from what I use normally. So the ones I have don't fit well. Also, I'd need to drill another hole for the screw that holds it in place.

XLR is usually standardized width, so maybe that Chinese factory is slightly out of spec and you have to jam it on, but it should fit.

Since these are new, there's nothing to replace. I just compared them to the ones I have, in case.

And it's about outside measures; the XLR plug part fits well enough.

Is a good mic super important for singing ? What do you guys think about SHURA SM58, is it worth the money?
The Shure SM58 has been a standard for live vocals for decades for many reasons. Funny or not, it didn’t catch on in studios, where Shure initially targeted it (SM = Studio Model).

I believe it’s worth every penny of the $100USD street price but if you’re asking whether it’s the best $100 choice for home recording vocals, I’d guess many here would recommend other mics before that one.

What other mic would you recommend for home singing?
It's all quite subjective.

Some information that might help whittle down the list of candidates:
  • What's your budget? (Maybe the most important to narrow the field.)
  • What kind (make/model) of interface/recorder are you plugging into? (Some microphones might require more gain than your interface can comfortably supply, and it's an important part of the chain to understand, e.g., no point plugging a $1000 mic into a $40 recorder.)
  • What kind of voice and style do you expect to be primarily recording? (Screaming death metal and operatic soprano arias might suggest different choices!)
  • What's the recording environment? (Big, small, noisy, bright/reflective, etc.)

Back