song structure parts

blackmusic

hey guys... what is the difference between a bridge and a hook? also is there other flavorings that i can add to a song along these lines?

a bridge is like a part after the chorus that joins 2 parts ussually after the second chorus before a solo or another chorus or verse. A hook i think is a catchy line or phrase in the song that draws in the listener and keeps them listening.

Other flavorings?
A couple of songs that I have written have a prechorus/postchorus

hope this helps

Will

outro's are always awesome

sometimes we modify the bridge that we used in the middle of the song and use it as an outro

I sometimes use a bridge to work in a lyric that looks at the subject from another point of view such as a third person making a comment or making an aside like a stage actor does. That works well in ballads and story songs. I notice that in bluegrass songs there is often a mini-bridge of sorts right in the middle of a verse where the song takes an abrupt turn that wouldn't be expected as in "Beneath Still Waters" that Emmylou Harris recorded.

I also like the idea of using a refrain in songs. Sometimes it might replace the chorus or be in a addition to the chorus in the form of a repeated stanza.

haha pete d, so what would you say the difference between a chorus and a refrain is? the impression that i was under is that they are the same thing, cept you see refrain used in things like church music! Hahaha

Later kids

Blackmusic - In the genres of music that I write a refrain is often a stanza or totally separate line of a song that may go at the beginning or be stuck in before or after a chorus. It can also be used as an outro. A good example is "Man of Constant Sorrow" by The Soggy Mountain Boys from "O Brother Where Art Thou?" where the harmony singers throw in "He knew trouble all his days" at the beginning of the song and in it's body.

In Country, Bluegrass and Americana music that's what is referred to as a refrain. A chorus is a chorus. Best Wishes.

Back