So........

Hey bud, Kinda Feel like I was in you're shoes to be honest, but the cold hard truth is being a weekend entertainer still IS a professional singer,

I think of music as strings, and each string brings in a few pound here and there, have you thought about just what you can do?

By day I'm an engineer in a studio, at night I gig, days off I teach guitar, other spare time I do other bits and pieces,

You might never make it famous, but the trick to the fame game (popular music anyway) seems to be contacts, at least in my area.

For the studio stuff, my boss handles all the advertising,
For gigs, the band has a presspack and we spend free time practicing or handing around presspacks, as far as we can, we don't mind if its a dive or a hive because a gigs a gig,
For teaching, I'll teach anything I know, I'll teach guitar, singing, or even running a home studio, you'll always find someone who wants to learn,
For the rest of my spare time, I compose or write or work on new adverts of the FB page or whatever else I need to do,

Make contacts, book gigs, be professional, make Music YOUR trade :)

Hey bud, Kinda Feel like I was in you're shoes to be honest, but the cold hard truth is being a weekend entertainer still IS a professional singer,

I think of music as strings, and each string brings in a few pound here and there, have you thought about just what you can do?

By day I'm an engineer in a studio, at night I gig, days off I teach guitar, other spare time I do other bits and pieces,

You might never make it famous, but the trick to the fame game (popular music anyway) seems to be contacts, at least in my area.

For the studio stuff, my boss handles all the advertising,
For gigs, the band has a presspack and we spend free time practicing or handing around presspacks, as far as we can, we don't mind if its a dive or a hive because a gigs a gig,
For teaching, I'll teach anything I know, I'll teach guitar, singing, or even running a home studio, you'll always find someone who wants to learn,
For the rest of my spare time, I compose or write or work on new adverts of the FB page or whatever else I need to do,

Make contacts, book gigs, be professional, make Music YOUR trade :)

Really like this answer. Music would be the best trade. Haha, thanks :)

Actually, I would recommend the book Confessions of a Record Producer by Moses Avalon (great book, considerable language in it though).

It's great for both ends of the spectrum (musicians and engineers, producers, etc), I'm already 106 pages into it.
I knew the music industry was bad, but the kind of stuff that goes on is insane (examples in the book).

If you don't read the book, here is one piece of advice I found very interesting.

That million dollar record deal isn't always a good thing. Number 1: You have to be good enough that your going to be able to sell enough records to cover the cost of the mastering, studio time, producer, music video, and so on. And on top of it, the place you market your music (think iTunes) ends up taking royalties out of every song you sell. (whole bunch of important stuff I forgot in this paragraph).

Very interesting book, it shows the math, it's highly recommended. I probably forgot a lot of important stuff on the above paragraph (trust me, it's a gets a whole lot more interesting than that) so do yourself a favor and buy (or rent) the book!

I wish you well with with your singing Sean, and see if you can take vocal lessons.
I finished another book a few days ago, and he (Simon Cowell) mentions that he cringes when he asks a person if they ever took vocal lessons and the proudly say "nope!" as if they think it's a good thing.

All the other guys have given you some really great advice, so take heed of it.

If you don't like working, the solution as I see it is to do something that doesn't feel like work.. something you love. Even though you'll have to work at it, it'll be something you enjoy. Practice, practice, etc.

Practice = Perfect

No, grim was right.

Practice makes permanent. You could practice something.... the wrong way. And it will be harder to undo that because you have made it a memory, be it muscle or mental.

Practice something the perfect (no such thing anyway) way, and then practice makes perfect.

No, grim was right.

Practice makes permanent. You could practice something.... the wrong way. And it will be harder to undo that because you have made it a memory, be it muscle or mental.

Exactly.
I've been taking lessons with that guy I posted a link to in your other thread.
Man. My wrong way of doing things has effed me into doing the most mundane exercises.
I'm talking "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" "uhhhahhhhhhh" stuff before I get to the revolutionary "eeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" stuff :laughings:

Hang in there man. If you want to do it right get to some lessons. Everyone has taken them. From street performers to Chris Cornell.

Also try not to make the mistake of confusing the way someone sounds with the way they sing.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to discuss this.
That's OK. As you've opened the door, what I'm going to say has little to do with singing.
Working isn't for me. I have never ever liked any working trade.

I can't sing YET.
I think your thinking is skewed in relation to work. Like so many people these days, be they young, middle aged or older and close to retirement, you pretty much view work as a mechanism to which you give your entire being to and become enslaved and trapped by rather than seeing it as something that services your life. Your job helps to service your life, not the other way around.
Over the last three or four years, one of the buzz words/pet phrases that has become part of everyday usage is "work/life balance". Of course, if some people had the right view in the first place, it wouldn't be an issue. Even pop stars and celebs struggle with the work life balance, which partly explains {but only partly} why so many of them change husbands/wives/lovers/fuck buddies/boyfriends/girlfriends like the average Joe or Josephine changes tyres on a car......It partly explains why so many of them produce screwed up kids. And as a celeb, believe me, the demands on your time are going to increase, big time. It soon becomes work......just like any other work that is out of kilter.
Work services your life, not the other way around.

Back