Singer quit, now I'm singer, singing advice?

Jay9408

My friends and I formed a band about a year ago, nothing serious, just a fun high school garage band, and it was me and four other guys. Singer on keyboard, drummer, bassist, lead guitar, rhythm guitar. The singer quit and he was the only one who knew how to play the keyboard, other than me. So now I'm off lead guitar and the rhythm guitarist does everything. I have to start singing now and I really need tips on how to get better. I recorded a 2 small sound clip of me singing. (The first one is me singing with my normal voice the second one is a higher voice) Can anybody give me any advice on how to improve my voice so that it's actually decent? Such as areas I need to improve on or songs we should do. This would probably sound better if there was music to it.

Thanks, Jay

Ps. I'm aware that my singing voice is pretty high. Nothing I can do about that folks. (my brothers make fun of my singing voice all the time)

Attachments

• Untitled 1.mp3
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • Untitled 2.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
First and foremost, you need to work on your articulation. Watch yourself sing in the mirror and watch yourself form the words with your mouth.

Secondly, you need to be able to hear yourself while you sing - I'm going to bet that you had headphones on and were singing along to those songs.

Know your range and know your style. The worst thing you can do is fail when trying to sound like someone else.

Finally, you need to sing out more. It sounds as though you can hit the notes you're trying for, but you're holding back and the result is a weak/breathy sound. Stand up straight and breathe with your belly. Your shoulders should not move when you breathe.

These are just some starter suggestions for you to get you on your way.. I'm no pro - I'm sure you'll get some good ideas from others as well.

Revised

I took your advise and I recorded it again. Thanks a bunch. I'm not sure if the song I'm singing is out of my range though so I chose a brand new song to do.

Attachments

• Fat Bottomed Girls.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I took your advise and I recorded it again. Thanks a bunch. I'm not sure if the song I'm singing is out of my range though so I chose a brand new song to do.

Wow that was really horrible! It's obvious that you have absolutely no natural singing ability. So you either need to take vocal lessons for several years or find another singer. That may seem harsh but I'm trying to save you from a load of embarrassment.

This is 'give it to 'em straight' month !

Just out of interest, why were you selected to be the new vocalist ? Did you used to do backing vocals or harmonies ? Often, when someone within the band takes over the lead vocal duties coz the actual singer has left, it's someone that at least used to do some singing, supplementing what was already there.
Personally I don't think your voice is worthy of a death sentence, but without a serious commitment from you to mucho practice and either vocal lessons or someone who can sing sitting alongside you and giving you vocal lessons {intriguing....}, you're not going to be the home recording 'Phil Collins replacing Peter Gabriel' equivalent. There's a voice there but like a slab of rock before it becomes a million $ sculpture, there's mucho work to be done. Are you up for it ?

look ......... there's no tip anyone can give you to make you a singer.
Let's say that all of a sudden you were the keyboard player ......... would you look for tips to suddenly make you a keyboard player?
No....... you'd know that the only way would be to spend a lot of time practicing keyboard.
Same here ......... you're NOT gonna suddenly be a singer. You simply have to start singing a LOT and practicing a LOT and in a few years you'll be better.

BTW ........ that wasn't very good but it wasn't the most horrible thing I've ever heard either. you were singing acapella and plenty of singers can't do that very well.
So start practicing and you'll get better.

You sure ain’t no Freddie Mercury.

My tip to you is to focus on the soul in Freddie’s style, feel the emotion, even if he was manufacturing it. You have neither right now.

Let it rip.

Thanks everyone. I guess I will try and take vocal lessons. The reason I was actually selected was because I was the least horrible:P. Which says a lot . . . .:(

Back