need songwriting advice - Heavy Metal/Metal Core

HungPhat

I need some advice

my band plays metal/core (killswitch engage,god forbid ) and tune to Drop B (BF#BEG#c#)

anyways...my other guitarists turns to me and says he is sick of B minor riffing.

im aware that B minor pentatonic is B D E F# A

but with this genre of music im stumped as to write in another way (its just so easy)

also any advice on writing more chromatic riffs????

check out a song from my band on -

www.myspace.com/john_chuah

My writing comes from screwing around and coming up with some good guitar riffs and work on them. I have found if I sit down and concentrate on 'writing a riff', what I come up with often ends up a little contrived sounding. I keep something like my pc or a tape recorder handy at all times to record anything I come up with when playing.

I'm not too great at music theory, but I'm guessing the pentatonic is maybe giving you a 'bluesy' sound that you are getting a little tired of? Perhaps try writing around the harmonic minor scale (in the case of B - B, C#, D, E, F#, G, Bb). Yes its overdone in metal but I am personally very fond of the sound of stuff based on that.

Maybe have a look at some websites for other scales, run through them to see if you like the sound of them and write around them.

I would try writing something without using Drop B tuning and see where it goes from there. If you get one idea, maybe you'll get a few?

It's worth a shot. :D

Back