Mixing your own singing

GearShift

Almost everyone new to self-mixing has the problem of the singing being too low-mixed for others to hear the words. Why? We can hear words more clearly when we know what they are, which is the case with our own songs. Tutorials don't seem to deal with that problem
Try this to see how big a difference it makes: get someone to say a sentence with their hand on their mouth so that you can't make out the words; have them say it again with the hand taken away and again with the hand back on. You will now most likely hear the words, unless they were too muffled the first time. I was also taken aback at how much louder the singing is than the backing track on a well-mixed song.

To get over this, listen to a commercially-mixed track that's like yours -on your system - and note the difference between backing and singing on the meter. Others will tell you to ignore the meters and go only with your hearing. I go with both. Hear how the singing sounds. Mix yours to match. Cutting the EQ below 350Hz on the singing will help if your singing is having to be pushed to high up the mix. I use a high-pass filter. A multiband EQ could do much the same.

Even then, I mix mine to sound clear and add maybe 2dB. I also ask someone to listen and see if they can hear the words without having to work at it.

Back