Let me introduce myself....

Johnathon

Hi, my name is Johnathon... greetings from Florida USA.

About ten years ago, I watched a poetry festival on PBS and became entralled and said to myself, "what a wonderful world" Not really, I said I think I can do that. So I began writing poetry.

Then I said, "ya know, songs are just poetry with music" so I began to think of all the music that I heard that was struck me as poetic and I played the guitar so I began to write songs. I didn't know anything about "hooks", structure, bridges and all that.

So I went on and became a famous song writer. Yeah right. No really occassionaly a song would just captivate me.... and all sorts of genes' (sp)

Here are some examples:

"We were born before the wind, we are older than the sun..."
"Kiss from a rose on the grey..."
"Just to make you smile, I'd do anything, that you want me to do..." George Strait???

I've been reading some of the post and I share all those frustrations. I think my stuff sounds cheesy. Its sounds like something else, (I have a saying, "there is nothing new under the sun") that is actually from the proverbs in the bible. I'm gotten tired of my stuff. I've thrown crap accross the room and said, I'm never trying to write again.

But at the end of the day, I'm still doing it.

Here are some fragments that I thought I'd share:

You told me your leaving me (Yeah its a ballad)

I walked past cafe' Layfayette,
The place where we first met.
The guys they dared me and I was scared see,
You know I won that bet.
I try and think what I have done,
To bring us to this place.
And as I try to blame myself,
I just see your face.

You told me you're leaving me,
And that I understood.
The only part that leaves me blank,
Is the reason why you would.

Looking for a friend

Looking for a friend, in this world of pain.
Someone who knows my heart and not just my name.
Looking for a friend, in this world of fame,
Someone who wants my soul, with nothing to gain.

Chorus
Someone there to talk to me, and the time just flies away.
Walk around for miles and miles and there for all my days.

I wrote this today....

Killing at the falls

I see water on the mountain,
Fall like dew on the dawn.
I see fear like a fountain,
Flowing from the mystic falls.

I see doves in a the "tree of thorns"
Waiting in the roost.
We pray for their time to fly
Bringing home the truth.

Chorus
I see young men die, at the threshold of thier life,
For some just and noble cause.

If I were lightning, I'd strike evil down.
And stop the killing at the falls.

O.k. Thanks....

johnathon

Last edited:
Thanks man,

I would like to record some stuff, but I just want some simple way to do it on the computer... short learning curve and all that.

Many many years ago, I had a teac reel to reel 4 track recorder and it was easy. Any ideas?

johnathon...

Do you have windows XP? If so, you can use Windows Movie Maker.
(Start > Programs > Accessories > Windows Movie Maker) Just select "Audio Only" on the Record menu, plug into the "line in" jack, and select the same from the source dropdown.

You said you wanted easy? There's just two controls, "record" and "stop." :D

Instead of using a preamp, I plug my mike into the back of my stereo, and run a 1/4" from the headphone jack to the computer input. Play around with the volume control on the stereo to get a strong enough signal without getting too much. On mine, I run it at 20, any more saturates, any less is too weak. :)

Now I'm going to have ten people saying I can't do that. :p

If you want a little more than that, download Audacity from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Also check out the Audacity thread: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=165194

Johnathon, you truely have a gift for words. Not just words, but a gift for bringing life, and emotion to those words. I am near to a loss of expression, as to how wonderful your lyrics are! The way you have interwoven just the right words, with just the right meanings, and a flow of eloquent sounds as it all comes togather. I can only imagine, what creation shall come from the addition of music. I shall be anticipating its forthcoming. :)

Back