Keep Getting Multiple Whistle tones

Doswald

Whenever I record vocals and compress them I get multiple harsh whistles poking out at my. I go in with a narrow EQ and get them out but It ends up making the vocal sound thin and empty. Also, I keep hearing the whistles after I take them out and am sure that it's the right frequencies. Help!!

(tried multiple mics and positions)

Can you post a clip? Not sure what it could be, but you shouldn't be getting whistle tones from your mic.

What kind of mic is it?
What's your interface / preamp?
Which DAW?
Did you try different cables?

Dry Vocals- Dropbox - a few good men sm7b-VocalsUNmixed-justwavestune.mp3

Mixed Vocals (narrow Q taken freqencies out but still some ringing happens) - Dropbox - A few Good men sm7b-VocalsMixed_a few good men sm7b-VocalsMixed-St.mp3

Vocals with music - Dropbox - a few good men sm7b-withmusic.mp3

It sounds terrible.

Using an SM7B with Apollo twin interface. There are three doubles layered with the main vocal. It's for a part at the end of the song right before a guitar solo.

tried different cables, interface is an apollo twin and im using pro tools 12

Dry Vocals- Dropbox - a few good men sm7b-VocalsUNmixed-justwavestune.mp3
Not sure how to interpret that info. I'd create a share link in Dropbox to that file, and the paste it into the post, minus everything from https through .com/.

Vocals "mixed" - /s/7odoyws4bvwy57i/A%20few%20Good%20men%20sm7b-VocalsMixed_a%20few%20good%20men%20sm7b-VocalsMixed-St.mp3?dl=0

vocals unmixed - /s/puo9sb1sr38whu8/a%20few%20good%20men%20sm7b-VocalsUNmixed-justwavestune.mp3?dl=0

vocals with music - /s/5ok97eawew8c5d4/a%20few%20good%20men%20sm7b-withmusic.mp3?dl=0

sorry about that, I copy pasted my post my post somewhere else lol. hopefully these links work now. I had to take out the .com because im new here and it wont let me post links yet

---------- Update ----------

just add dropbox DOT COM to the beginning all of those.

Well - I listened to the dry track and can't hear anything I'd call a whistle. The even more horrible one (the mixed one still doesn't whistle.) The one with the music put it into context - but all I can really hear is multiple heavily compressed and doubled (trebbled?) vocals with very harsh eq. The modulation noise has created that weird pulsing sound - did you use a pitch corrector by any chance - these can produce odd effects like this when heavily compressed. What does the uncompressed, un-eq'd version sound like? I suspect you've just squeezed it to death and maybe for this - artificial double tracking would thicken it up better than trying to make multiple tracks blend? Just no sign of the whistles I expected?

Hey thanks for the response. The dry unmixed vocal track just has the pitch correction “waves tune” on it and is layered with 3 doubles. I’m trying to get it to sound huge but maybe there’s just too many? What do you mean by pulsing sound and can you recommend how to EQ it so it make my ears bleed? My first time working with an SM7B on my voice.

If you're getting specific frequencies building up when you stack your vocals, I would try to address it before the vocals get into the stack.

Maybe use a few different mics for the copies so the same frequencies aren't emphasized in all takes.
Maybe EQ the vocals first.

Ain't hearing no whistle this side. Could it be the phones?

I posted a clip once that sounded like I was busking! There was this sound like a coin dropping every time I sang an "i" sound, as in river. It happened on unprocessed, dry vocals, but I could reduce the effect by swapping mics.

I tried to upload your files with the add (Dropbox.com). No luck.

Did you remove or change them? You should be able to post links now. Or I can make them work if they were there. I am curious.

They are still there. Here are dry vocals with pitch correction and doubles -

Mixed -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7odoyws4bvwy57i/A%20few%20Good%20men%20sm7b-VocalsMixed_a%20few%20good%20men%20sm7b-VocalsMixed-St.mp3?dl=0

With music -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ok97eawew8c5d4/a%20few%20good%20men%20sm7b-withmusic.mp3?dl=0

If anyone can Instruct me on how to make these sound good I will be forever grateful! Super frustrated. First time working with an sm7b on my voice and I had high hopes for this mic.

Last edited:
Back