I'm writing an alt rock ballad. need pointers, mates.

MANnequin X

I would just like feedback on everything, especially the vocal. Also, whatmshou!d I do about the drums. Nobody ever likes the drums in my songs, but they are the part I never do myself. WHAT am I doing wrong regarding the drums? Do I write to them wrong?

first, try using positive grid bias for guitar tones or axe fx if u have one. try sending guitars and vocals to another fader and then compress it with fastest attack and slowest release settings. I recommend fab filter pro c compressor. and make sure gain reduction is around 20db. then turn the fader all the way down. after that slowly turn it back on till the vocals pop up. And most importantly make sure your recorded tracks are tight.

Thanks, man. I'm working with at best a 3 band built in compressor in my Tascam DP03. Anything you can tell me about ratios, db level plus or minus, and threshold? Each on the low, medium, and high bands? Those are my only parameters of control for my compressor.

Haha in short apply parallel compressors to everything except your bass and drums. And make sure your vocal hits the compressor harder.

I don't have anything except a recorder. No preamp or outboard compressor with which I can do parallel compression I don't think.
Lol

btw i like your stuff man. Interested in doing something together? Over the internet kinda side project

Back