Help with common progression

Chrisjob

Hi everyone.

There's a very common progression that abounds in Gospel and Swing music that I've been trying to figure out for years.

It's a standard buildup from I to I7 to the IV then *******. The minor fourth and a flat VI sound ok, but I know Im missing something.

I wish I had a sound excerpt to load up, but this is a work computer. It's the main theme in Weird Al's "this is the life" and also appears during the Second Chances song in the new Veggie Tales movie JONAH (which is why its in my head)

I know this is vague, but I hope someone is familiar, as its huge in Southern Gospel.

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

guessing here....

Flat 6th - 7th

(for example, in the key of C it would be an Ab7.....)

hey gidge!....

as someone who know nothing about the "technique" of guitar....how does one tell what key the song they wrote is in????...is this the lamest question ever?....lol.....anyway.....if you can answer this in one syllable words so that i can understand it that would be great.....

thanks jamal

Thanks for trying Gidge, but unless it's a unique voicing Im not familiar with, the bVI7 didnt hit the spot just right- I've tested that one too.

I believe this progression is also present in the closing them for Saturday Night Live.

And Jamal, it's usually the chord you end on, and often start on. If you post the chords, someone here can tell you what key you're in, I imagine.

Any help to my post would be great.

Thanks!!!!!

jamal buchet said:
how does one tell what key the song they wrote is in????...is this the lamest question ever?....

sorry i can't answer the main question, however, i can shed some light on the key issue.

what notes are in the key has to do with what chords you play......for example the key of C can contain the following chords......

C - Dm - Em - F - G - Am - Bdim

all based on the C - D - E - F - G - A - B (the key of C uses no sharps or flats)

use the following pattern, it has to do with intervals........

I - ii - iii - IV - V - iv - IIVdim

you'll be able to dig up a load of theory info at Guitar.com's theory forum if you want more info

Try this for gospel...
I-III-IV-#IVdim-I-vi-ii-V7
or
Cmaj-Emaj-Fmaj-F#dim-Cmaj-Amin-Dmin-G7

Last edited:
Back