Help to bring voice from the back

JeanT

Hi everyone,

I recorded an online webcam session (audio+video) with Camtasia 2, which native format is .trec
Then exported as .mp4 in order to open/import it in Adobe Audition CC 2015 as an audio file.

My voice is loud and clear but the voice of the guy speaking on the “other side” is almost inaudible.
My goal is to try to bring his voice from the back, and also if possible to create an audio file where both his voice and mine are nearly at same loudness level.

Can somebody help me out, please?

I’ve nearly no experience using any of those mentioned softwares.
My OS is Mac, in case it’s worth to mention.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Is this a recording from a desktop mic, picking him up in the background from your speakers?

If so, it's always going to suck but you can probably work with it a bit.
I'd duplicate the track then cut out all your speech from one and all his speech from the other.

That way you have two separate tracks which you can treat differently.
Yeah, you can do it with automation but that's going to be a pain.

As for specific advice, we'd really need to hear what you're working with.

If he recorded at his end, maybe you could get him to send HIS file and you could put them in as two separate tracks with your voice cut on his and vise versa...

^^ That'd be ideal.

For future, most capture software like that will allow you to record system output and mic input as separate streams.
If yours doesn't do it, check out OBS.

Thanks for the responses!

I've the Camtasia 2 file, which is a screen caption/videoconference caption software.
I found an option to export to .mp4 and this file can be opened in Adobe Audition.

But in Adobe Audition I can only see one single track, so no chance to split channels or whatsoever....or maybe I just have no clue how to make the most out of it!

Watch the last minute and a half of THIS VIDEO. You can put your audio and another audio on the timeline and line them up. Then just add the video and align. You'll still need HIS audio.

Thanks for that, although it might not work for me as I'll not be able to have his audio.
I can only count on my video file, so I was more expecting to be able to "boost" the low audio voices from the back, somehow with Adobe Audition.

Don't know why you need Audition...
I would suggest the following: 1) convert the video file into an audio file. 2) Import the audio file into Camtasia. 3) Mute the video in Camtasia. 4) Make cuts where your voice starts and stops. 5) Select all of your vocals and drag them to a separate audio track.
Now you have two audio tracks (His and Yours) and you can make the best of his voice and bring it up as best you can. Gaining will probably require a good deal of EQ sweeps and cuts to overcome the noise, but there's no way to know which frequencies until you're there.
Good luck!

Back