Great Vocal Exercise: Bonus!

kickingtone

In my "Great Vocal Exercise!" thread a while back, I said how I'd been practising singing over my own vocals with different tones or vocal configurations. Basically, you sing in one tone, record, and sing on top in a different tone. Helps control consistency of tone.

Well, I've got an unexpected bonus from practising that. I am finding that I can switch tone on the fly, a lot easier than before, too, not just between clips. I definitely remember having trouble with this particular ten second practice clip. Yesterday, I was just messing around, and bingo, no problem switching. (Don't pay any attention to phrasing, or even correct melody. I didn't bother checking any of the hundreds of versions of the song. I just winged it. The important part of the practice is being able to switch mode on the fly).

Mix - Head - Chest.

EGS001FRP by kickingtone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

A number of other clips have become easier, as well. I used to get stuck in mode a lot.

Vocal Melodies

That sounds like a really great idea, I will give that a try.

I find once I recorded a song, then once I do harmonies, it really helps me to expand the melody of the song.

Sounds pretty similar to what you are doing I think, this also helps to improve my vocals also.

Back