Great online resources for vocal training?

calimoose

Hey guys,

Ideally I would have a vocal coach or teacher, but English-speaking vocal coaches are hard to come by in France, and while my french is not bad, I certainly don't have any sort of musical french vocabulary which would complicate things.

I've googled and seen different things on youtube but would like to know if there's any sort of next-best-thing that you've tried and would recommend. I value recommendations from prior users much more than a simple google search in the endless abyss known as the internet...

Thanks!

I would be interested to see what kind of suggestions people make.
I've never looked at anything that could be done online....always assuming that you need to actually work with a vocal coach....but with You Tube and online videos, there's probably a few decent online vocal coaching possibilities for you.

I've thought about going to a vocal coach myself a few times. I mean, I can sing...at least I know what I can and can't do with my voice, and I can stay in pitch and know fairly well how to use my gut/throat/head and control the different voices we all have at out disposal...but a decent vocal coach can probably take even the best natural singer and help them up their game, so I'm sure I could improve on my basic singing ability....
...but it's like a lot of shit, it's a great idea, but I just never get around to it! :D

I also have to say that if there is a really great online teaching source, it would make it that much more convenient, so maybe I will follow your lead if someone tosses out a good resource. :)

What are you looking for...?...what are you trying to improve and toward what goal, if you don't mind sharing...?

Hey Miro, I guess my post didn't go through from my phone.

I'm like you, I have some talent, range and a decent enough voice. The things I REALLY want to improve on is breathing, vibrato and proper mic technique. I feel like I have the raw talent, I just need to polish it up with better technique.

If anyone has tips or trusted resources, I'd be much appreciative. If not, thanks anyway.

Funny...I keep trying to tone down the vibrato and have a hard time singing without any! :D
Breathing-wise, I got no problem there. I learned a long time ago to work from the gut up.

My main beef is in working the upper end of my range. Some days I can hit it comfortably, other days I feel myself reaching for it.

AFA mic technique, I think that's a matter of practice, and really learning to listen to yourself in the headphones, rather than just using the headphone mix as a cue. It comes with time and practice.

There are several yood resources on pintrest. If you looking for a personal online coach i recomend daniel tompkins. Google him . His prices are resonable and has training in many different styles.

Just wanted to bump this thread. Could someone recommend online vocal lessons (youtube/website/links/etc) where I can learn at my own pace? There's so much out there it's hard to streamline good lessons. I would say I'm not the greatest singer, but I can hold a tune. Would like to work on my tone/timbre, improve pitchiness, and breathe support. Mainly do folk/acoustic stuff.

Due to my schedule, a personal coach (online or otherwise) would not be practical, so I think this is 2nd best option.

Just wanted to bump this thread. Could someone recommend online vocal lessons (youtube/website/links/etc) where I can learn at my own pace? There's so much out there it's hard to streamline good lessons. I would say I'm not the greatest singer, but I can hold a tune. Would like to work on my tone/timbre, improve pitchiness, and breathe support. Mainly do folk/acoustic stuff.

Due to my schedule, a personal coach (online or otherwise) would not be practical, so I think this is 2nd best option.

I would recommend using google to search for specific terms and techniques. Then read widely from different singers, coaches and trainers.

There is a lot of duff advice out there, as well as good advice. You can't get round having to use your own judgement. Be critical, know what you want, and don't be too gullible. People recommend for all sorts of reasons not necessarily based on quality.

Appoggio technique is what has worked for me, so far, although I try to blend in other ideas.

Franco Tenelli does very good online videos, in my opinion. Here is one..

He has many videos, but I do not think that they are organized into a course of any sort. He discussed the fundamentals, but you have to go away, find practice material and apply what you have learned.

Then you need oodles and oodles of patience. Don't get sold on the "quick results" blurb.

Take vibrato, for example. I am glad that I ignored all the coaches who were recommending artificial vibrato exercises. Just recently, I have discovered a natural vibrato beginning to happen by default, through improved technique. I am glad that I didn't compromise my technique for "quick results". Listen to advice, but don't underestimate your own common sense and judgement.

I think your best chance is to pick up a book from Richard Miller. In fact, his books are taught in grad school all over the country. His book is not about this "method" or "my experience", it is based on the actual physiology or the science of voice. Most good vocal teachers should know this and teach based on these concepts.

This book is also good I thought: The Diagnosis and Correction of Vocal Faults: A Manual for Teachers of Singing and for Choir Directors (with accompanying CD of sample vocal faults)

Back