First Cover - Someone Like You by Adele

Conversion

Hello everybody,

I've been looking for a forum like this for a little while now. In fact, I just wanted opinions on my playing and singing, as I'm pretty unsure about it.
I'd like constructive opinions, but be easy on me, as I'm just starting out. I really like it.

I hope it's not too bad, I'm using pretty cheap equipment, just a regular Trust headset for the recording, and a LIDL guitar for the playing.

Thank you. I put the file in attachment.

Conversion

Attachments

• Someone Like You.mp3
    4.3 MB · Views: 68
As I am saying to almost everyone around here, you need to loosen up! Sing with a bit more strength, that will also get rid of some of the notes you're singing that are a bit off! Use your stomach!
Good luck! :)

I agree with the above.

Think about this, if you were in a crowded mall and saw a friend across the food court. You want to get their attention and you shout "HEY!" Give it a try. You will feel it in your chest, it has power and requires breath. That is how you should try to sing. Not at that volume, but with the feeling. Hard to explain but maybe that will help.

Since you aren't singing with your diaphragm you don't really have the control to hold out steady notes and that is why it sounds all shaky. As far as the playing part went that sounded pretty good. Keep it up

One more thing, don't try and fake vibrato. When you sing properly it happens fairly naturally, once you know what it feels like to do it then you can start working on changing it to longer/shorter.

Thank you all very much for your tips, such comments was exactly what I was looking for. I'll definetely look up on how to sing with my diaphragm, and this makes me want to practice even more. Thank you so much, this is very useful to me.

Hi,

Nice song. This is reiteration of what the others said, but It sounds like you're holding back too much. "Breathe in deep so you can breathe out." Holding a tone is about tension on your vocal cords - this can only be achieved with adequate breath and power. Sing each note deliberately, with a controlled start and finish / transition. With proper breath and practise those off notes will fall into place. Lots of good tutorials on the net. B

Also, It sounds like you may be holding back because you think you'll get too loud - (i.e. 1:36 "don't forget me...") learn to distance yourself from the mic when you are applying more volume. It's really hard to sing the same volume while applying more energy to your voice. It sounds like you are trying to maintain a constant volume without "giving more gas" where necessary.

For live shows and recording (post recording usually) the lead singer's voice is often processed with a compressor -- a device, real or virtual, that makes your louder passages quieter and allows an overall louder signal for the quieter passages - so keeping the loud "dynamic" without it actually being (much) louder.

So let it out a bit and put some energy into it. Pretend you're singing in the shower...

Great start though, keep it up!

SG

Hey dude, this is the first post that I have put on this site, try and record the guitar first and then sing along to it. I personally think that you are concentrating too much on strumming and it echoes in your vox. Try this and then repost the end result, I'll be interested in the outcome :)

Back