Do You Like (Or Hate) Your Voice?

How do you feel about your singing voice?

• I love my voice!

Votes: 95 12.4%
  • My voice is o.k., but could be better.

Votes: 186 24.2%
  • I have mixed feelings about it.

Votes: 214 27.9%
  • My voice is not so good, but I live with it.

Votes: 103 13.4%
  • I hate hearing myself on tape. Sometimes I want to quit.

Votes: 170 22.1%

• Total voters
I have literally been kicked out of karaoke over a dozen times. Truth.
I was actually banned from one venue... not banned banned- I could come and drink, they just wouldn't let me sing.

I forget if I responded to this, but it's relevant since I've been tracking vocals this week.
So I like my timbre, but freaking hate I can't control pitch. It makes for a brutal combo. I'd be better off with a peewee herman timbre so I could just give up.

That can be overcome with practice I'm sure. Better to have a pleasant voice than perfect pitch anyway. William Shatner had a music career and I'm not sure he ever actually sang. . .

Sadly there is a social bar of what is good and not good, that creates comparisons and that contributes to the love hate thing. All birds sing (I think) but canaries "sing".
We are each given a voice and a bunch of other physical attributes to love or hate, noses, ears, eye color, hair color (or lack of hair) skin color etc. all that we get to accept and be comfortable with , love or hate.

On the voice thing personally I am lucky to have a pretty good ear so can stay in tune pretty good...sometimes I love stuff I do and sometimes hate it. On the stuff I dislike I take another stab and try and get it to something I can live with.

One thing for sure, when you decide you want to record your voice, give it 110%...PRACTICE, learn mic proximity control...for me live I learned I have to really stay close to the mic unless I'm really belting it.

Bottom line you get what you get and it's a gift. That the rest of the world thinks it sucks doesn't negate that it is still a gift for you to use as you wish and choose.

A record label signed me a contract as a singer/songwriter and I still don't think that I can sing. lol
I don't think people are satisfied with what they got.

I love my voice.

If I can hear me singing whatever it may be (in my head) I can work towards it and will eventually, sing it very well. Just like visualization, but audible. It really works..

Keep your vocal chops up top to bottom.

Last edited:
Back