Any Melodyne Users?

Snowman999

I have Melodyne 2, and have the basics down. I did the trial version of 4 and it's so much easier fixing flat notes. Since I'm flat on every note it's a simple fix. I BOUGHT 4 Essential. Which give you basically the note editing portion.

I activated my product and when I opened the program it looks nothing like the trial version. I imported two pieces of audio (acoustic guitar and vocal) and I changed the tempo from 82.34 to the true 83 and now the tracks don't match. Before I changed the tempo they were fine. Now, they're off.

With the trial I could see the tracks and the editing screen. Now I can't. I can't even find the place for the option of seeing both.

With this version I can't even see the tab for changing notes and algorithem (or what ever that line in the blob is called).

I've looked on-line for videos and none start where I'm at. Of course melodyne's manuals are for people who already understand the program. It's not for normal people who are confused.

Is there anyone who can help me with a few questions or point me to a short informative video?

Thanks in advance.

A few thoughts....

I'm thinking the trial version was the full version, but haven't looked at it to be sure. If you bought the Essentials, it will have much less function than the trial. But again, I'm not positive about that.

I never change the tempo of a track, and now I know that is not a good idea. When you save in Melodyne, it will save the original wav file as *.orig. Then it saves the edited file as the *.wav. You should be able to go in to the folder that contained you original file and new edited file and rename them.

I had Melodyne for years. I thought about upgrading once, but saw the pitch correcting features that I use were in a more expensive version. I opted to just keep the old version that I have. It works fine. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thanks. I wouldn't mind, if they had told me that the features would be that much less on the simple editing feature. They said the note editing feature would not change from one version to another.

I just sent them a JPG with some questions. You or anyone else might find it interesting.

Difference.jpg

This is a jpg I pulled "off the net" and "Mine" is my version of essential.

In order to edit a note you should be able to see it. In the editing window of "Mine" the guitar and vocal are together. So any vocal note can't even be seen because you can't turn the guitar blob off. That's circled as 2 and 2A in their respective photos.

Also the track window is not available in essential. Which is another way of turning a track on and off. That's circled as 1 and 1a.

5 and 5a are all the different things you can do to edit a note. The prompts are literally not there in essential.

It seems like all you can do is click on a note and change it manually or use the quick fix it prompt.

3 & 4 I don't really care about UNLESS when I go to export the fixed vocal I can't mute the guitar. What a hoot and waste of money that would be.

As for the tempo. Before I bought the upgrade, I saw a few videos that said that it's a bug in melodyne 4.

I think I figured out how to do that. Before importing anything you set the tempo value manually. But, it doesn't come from a drop down option. You can only click in tempo and manually change it.

For all the years I've had melodyne 2 I've always said it's the most unuser friendly program I've ever had. I had no problem learning the basics for Pro Tools or Final Cut Pro (I've edited 4 films that all have world wide distribution). But, melodyne? Excellent program, terrible for a newbie.

I am not sure you are understanding what is happening here. You have the 'Essential' version. I do not believe you can see two tracks of Melodyne at the same time there.

The 'off the net' version you show is the full version. It allows much more.

I'm not familiar with your 'Essential' version, but you should just be able to select one of those in the left at a time and edit each individually.

It does look odd though as I see shaded areas below the 'blobs'. Not sure what is going on there.

I assume you know how to right click for the tool menu. Sorry if I am stepping on your experience.

Also Melodyne works as a completely separate entity from your daw. Basically like exporting to another file that can't be edited from your main program.

Again, I am not sure I understand the question. But I am willing to help if I can. I use Melodyne more than I would desire...It like second nature to me in regards to tuning vocals. Not so much other things.

THANK YOU

With 2 or 4 you can make one track silver and it'll show in the edit window, but you can't change blobs. It doesn't seem like you can do that with this version. Which is important in order to edit a single track. Also there's no track pane.

I do not believe you can see two tracks of Melodyne at the same time there.

I can't turn either track off. I can click on one from the "Project" list. But, if I highlight all, it automatically picks up everything shown, which always includes all the tracks.

I'm not familiar with your 'Essential' version, but you should just be able to select one of those in the left at a time and edit each individually.

That's done by making one track silver, by clicking on the prompt next to 2 from "off the net". It's not on my essential. So, if I click on a single blob it's fine. But, if I highlight ALL or a group it will catch the guitar track also.

I assume you know how to right click for the tool menu.

It does nothing. With melodyne 2 and trial 4 I knew that. With this essential, I don't have any of the #5 from "off the net". Which is essential when editing a melody.

You know how you can click on a blob and move it to a proper note? THAT'S IT. That's all you can do with this version. Really that's kind of all I want. But, I would like to be able to do this with multiple vocal tracks. At least at this moment, I have no idea how to do that. I can't even mute the guitar.

No need for sorry about stepping on my experience. When it comes to this program I'm a moron. But, even I'm not this stupid.

I found that when using melodyne essentials as a vst insert, you have to play through the whole song once without transferring anything if you have tempo changes. It's like it has to learn the tempo map. Otherwise it'll mess with time stretching and it'll throw things off tempo.

Also, essentials will only work with a single monophonic track at a time. If you import a polyphonic track, you can only adjust the rhythm and not the pitch.

I never thought Melodyne was difficult to learn. No slight against you, you probably could learn cubase faster than me and I've had it for 10 years. :)

You know how you can click on a blob and move it to a proper note? THAT'S IT. That's all you can do with this version. Really that's kind of all I want. But, I would like to be able to do this with multiple vocal tracks. At least at this moment, I have no idea how to do that. I can't even mute the guitar.

Melodyne essentials is good for one track at a time. To do multiple vocal tracks, load in just one, edit, save, load in another, etc... You can't do harmonies with essentials and you definitely shouldn't have guitar and vocal on the same track. Record them separately with no bleed.

Turns out I have Melodyne 4 Artist. I don't ever remember upgrading, so I must have been grandfathered in when they came up with a new version.

hope this helps.

Melodyne essentials is good for one track at a time. hope this helps.

I just want to make sure I understand this, because this isn't what the celemony people told me, and as a music software it truly makes no sense. Because if you're listening to a vocal, you should want to hear it against a musical instrument. I always use the acoustic guitar AIFF.

But, what you're saying is I have to import the vocal AIFF, fix and export it without having the acoustic to listen to while editing? If that's correct, that's messed up. It makes this version of the software useless.

Well that's heartbreaking. But, it does make sense, from what I've seen of it.

Because if you're listening to a vocal, you should want to hear it against a musical instrument.
I don't. When I use Melodyne, I listen to just the vocal track. I don't want to hear anything else. My guitars and other instruments are going to be in tune, so I don't need them for a reference when adjusting intonation of a vocal track. When I record a vocal track, you can't hear any other instruments on that track. Not sure if that's what you're doing or not.

But, what you're saying is I have to import the vocal AIFF, fix and export it without having the acoustic to listen to while editing? If that's correct, that's messed up. It makes this version of the software useless.

This has been my workflow for years. If my pitch is off, I'll center it up on the correct note by using the scale/graph/gui in melodyne. I never adjust timing or tempo or mute or do anything else but adjust pitch in Melodyne. If I want to adjust anything else, I'll do that in the DAW (Cubase for me) where I can listen to it in context with the other instruments.

What DAW are you using?

Pro Tools version 6 on an early G5 Tower. That's why I don't have Melodyne 4 on that computer.

I have melodyne 4 on my ASUS laptop.

What I do is transfer the vocals and acoustic guitar tracks to my laptop, drop them in melodyne, fix/export and put back on my MAC and Pro Tools. For me this is very simple and convenient. I don't have to sit in my basement to do this.

Unfortunately this version doesn't seem to allow it. The celemony customer service man told me I could have upgraded to the larger 4 and should have done that, and that essential is basically for putting in one track move a blob from one noe to another and export. Or as I think you're going to tell me to use it as a plug in effect on the track within Pro Tools.

This should have perfect, instead it's pretty useless. How stupid is it, that essential doesn't contain 2 tracks. I bought it half-price, I shouldn't have even paid that.

Maybe just load Reaper (free to try) on your ASUS. Export your Protools tracks and use Melodyne as an insert there? That way you have the other tracks while tuning. Then export the tuned track back to Protools.

Maybe just load Reaper (free to try) on your ASUS. Export your Protools tracks and use Melodyne as an insert there? That way you have the other tracks while tuning. Then export the tuned track back to Protools.

It takes me a few hours to get comfortable using new software. So, I'd like to set something up where in a month I have to change my procedure. That's why it took me so long to buy Melodyne 4. 2 is much more difficult to use, so I caved.

Do you know of any 2 or 4 track free software that would do the same thing as Reaper? I just found a list of free editing software. But, I'm seeing "Compressing" tracks and such. I'm not a complete techy, so I might download something and weaken the quality of the final fixed track.

I am not aware of anything that would be easier and allows insert of Melodyne. If you were to get a trial of Cubase I could walk you through setup. Or even do it over the phone or Skype.

I am not aware of anything that would be easier and allows insert of Melodyne. If you were to get a trial of Cubase I could walk you through setup. Or even do it over the phone or Skype.

I started another thread in Digital recording and Tracktion 5 did the job (at the moment). FREE and so far fairly easy to use. I haven't exported and put back into my Pro Tools session. So... we'll see.

THANKS for all your help. Everyone at this site is very nice and helpful. Which as we all know is not the norm.

CHILI: THANKS. We do work in completely different ways. But, there are no right or wrong, just smart and dumb. I think we can tell I'm the one that starts with the D.

CHILI: THANKS. We do work in completely different ways. But, there are no right or wrong, just smart and dumb. I think we can tell I'm the one that starts with the D.

Glad to help when/if I can. Yup, we all have little differences in the way we create. Good luck, hope it works out well for ya. Big gray zone between smart and dumb, we all fall in that gray zone somewhere. :)

Did a brief look into Tracktion 5, downloaded it and played with it a bit. I must say that looked pretty good for what you need. I will likely suggest that for situations similar to yours.

And yeah, this is not your typical recording forum. There are many regulars here with varying levels of experience from newbies to full time professionals. But without the 'nose up' snobbery of some forums. Well, we try to keep that at a minimum anyway. If you look at the forum rules, being an asshole is not allowed here. At least it infers that. We try to keep it that way. :)

Best to ya Snow!

Did a brief look into Tracktion 5, downloaded it and played with it a bit. I must say that looked pretty good for what you need. I will likely suggest that for situations similar to yours.

And yeah, this is not your typical recording forum. There are many regulars here with varying levels of experience from newbies to full time professionals. But without the 'nose up' snobbery of some forums. Well, we try to keep that at a minimum anyway. If you look at the forum rules, being an asshole is not allowed here. At least it infers that. We try to keep it that way. :)

Best to ya Snow!

Thanks. I've downloaded tracktion, have a few tracks and have melodyne working. But, now I have a problem that I do so often. I try to work quickly and when I make a mistake I "Control V" and I do it twice. Every time I do it twice Melodyne disappears and I have to start from scratch. It's so frustrating.

I know about being an ahole and snobs. I've been banned from many boards for arguing a point. I put up a thread in microphones regarding some advice I received. It's great cheap equipment. But, the "pro" at another board was saying it was crap. Not because he'd heard it. But, because of the price. There's only certain mics, amps, drums... that you can use to make "real" recordings. We argued and then I got banned. I guess he never heard Robert Johnson. Who I'm ashamed to say sounds better than me in 2017. He recorded in a hotel room. I swear I hear at least two people on his songs.

Thanks. I've downloaded tracktion, have a few tracks and have melodyne working. But, now I have a problem that I do so often. I try to work quickly and when I make a mistake I "Control V" and I do it twice. Every time I do it twice Melodyne disappears and I have to start from scratch. It's so frustrating.

I know about being an ahole and snobs. I've been banned from many boards for arguing a point. I put up a thread in microphones regarding some advice I received. It's great cheap equipment. But, the "pro" at another board was saying it was crap. Not because he'd heard it. But, because of the price. There's only certain mics, amps, drums... that you can use to make "real" recordings. We argued and then I got banned. I guess he never heard Robert Johnson. Who I'm ashamed to say sounds better than me in 2017. He recorded in a hotel room. I swear I hear at least two people on his songs.

Every DAW is different. Sucks when different shortcuts have different results. :(

Pro's still use SM57's for micing a guitar cabinet. It don't get much cheaper than $99...

The best bet though, is not to take up any argument with an arrogant 2nd party. It just never ends well. Best to let them be lonely and spiteful alone.. lol! Seriously.

If you still haven't bought into it and are just demoing...you should also check out Waves Tune.
I use the full version, but they also have a LT, "light" version for less money, not sure what the differences are, but they probably list them on the Waves site.

Waves Tune will work inside your DAW like a plug-in...so you can hear all your tracks with the vocal, or you can just solo the vocal track and only hear that. I too would find it annoying to export out the vocal to a separate editor and not be abl;e to hear what I am editing against the music...which is IMO critical for precise tune edits. Sometimes what sounds off by itself is perfect with the music, and vice versa.

You simply run Rewire on any adjacent track, and the Waves Tune will; sync right up with your other music tracks, and the timeline in Waves Tune is also locked to the timeline in your DAW...so moving one or the other...everything is in sync.

Waves Tune is very similar to Melodyne...they each have their quirks and some better points over the other...but in the end, both will get you a similar end result...so it's all about how you prefer to work.

Back