Short clip singing Chandelier by Sia, have I improved from my last post?

BeginZach

This feels like a huge song so I thought I'd record a snippet of it to see what people would say, let me know what you think and any feedback on this small clip would be appreciated. Thank you!

Just realised this isn't much to go on but it's late and I haven't time to do a full recording yet! Bare with me though I will try and get this song down on guitar and deliver a full recording but for now please critique this short clip!

https://soundcloud.com/kingdreamland

listened to free fallin. hmm...your natural vocal tone is very good, there is a nice, modern pop quality to it. IMO, your biggest flaw, aside from the occasional pitch drift, is the pronunciations and inflections of many words. When you keep it simple, it sounds great. When you throw too much into it, it becomes wincing.

Ex: 0:38, "loves horses". it just sounds like you're trying too hard. you're trying to throw little inflections in there that aren't working. 1:10 "don't even miss her" - sounds great. nice and simple. you sang the line. it worked. your voice alone is enough to carry the drama and emotion called for. you don't have to throw all the other attempts in to make it seem more emotional. 1:24 "free fallin" sounds excellent. why? you just sang the damn line. that's why. your voice is good and it ALREADY has an intimate/personal quality to it. The more you try to add emotion by straining or drifting or breathing certain ways etc...the more it makes it hard to listen to. The very next "free fallin" takes it back downhill fast. Listen to what you did there that makes me say that.

KEEP IT SIMPLE! the riffs aren't working yet. You'll need to develop that skill more.

Back