Need Opinions! Going to California Cover

Bacco

Hey,

I recorded a test over the weekend for a cover of "Going to California" I've been playing around with. I'm happy the way it came out but I think it's still not ready and will rerecord it maybe next weekend. In the meantime, could you please provide some feedback? In my opinoin, I think its pretty much ok, nothing cringe worthy but nothing special either... there's a few spots where my strumming is off and a few spots where the vocals could be stronger. Disregard the fact that its a video, that was part of the test :)

Going To California Test - YouTube

Hey.........nice job. Especially your vocal. Well done. You pretty much nailed it. As for your guitar playing........you did fine but you seem to have a tendency to rush it when you're not singing. Your vocal timing holds the guitar part together for the most part.......but your strumming gets a little loose when all alone. All in all.........you just need to polish that up a bit and you're done!! Thanks for the listen.

Hey, good point! I knew there were some parts that the guitar got off but didn't realize I was changing the rhythm/groove/tempo around the vocals. When I go to record this next, I'll keep that in mind and hopefully will smooth it out.

Try some sort of metronome...............a visual one if you can. I think they have apps for the ipad etc that will not make sound but you can refer to them from time to time as you record the video. No one will know if you place it off camera but keep it in your sight range. Or....just stay aware when you're not playing and focus a bit on the tempo.

I actually started using a metronome for another tune I'm working on that's in 6/8, so I'll practice Going to California through this week with one, I agree it'll help.

Pretty good. While the vocal slides are part of the original, yours maybe a bit long. Try tightening those up just a touch. I would also lose that southern twang for something like this. Just my opinion.

Hey sloop, thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, when you say vocal slides do you mean sliding from a lower pitch to higher? And, by long, do you mean I made that transition from note to note too long? Thanks!

dude - .. pretty much ok? you kidding?

You sound on all the notes. And you've got that cool guy that the girls get all gushy about after the set vibe going hahaha im not kidding man.

But yeah youre straight on this .... when you go high you hit it, maybe a little more punch on some of the deeper parts of the verses if you were trying to add something more to this. dont really need to though.
You put a band behind that and thatd prob pretty much enough to make it "special" in my opinion at least.
You know this - youre in a band.
But you're good, no joke

Last edited:
Ha - I just watched the public one you posted.
you sound like Robert Plant
And when you go high - im like is he going to hit it ... and you hit it.
I wanna hear you sing Led Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused now hah.

Im going to check out your youtube vids now.

you obviously know how to sing.
Would like to borrow your ear for 3 mins or so and get your honest feedback if you get the chance.
I'm novice on guitar, and maybe not the genre you're into, but I'm pretty sure you could tell me if my voice and singing would cause me to be better off being a listener if a guitars going around a circle.

Guitar and a song, would like honest opinion por favor

Last edited:
Great song, great voice, great recording/effects. And incredible guitar playing. Verses sound perfect. A little high in a few parts, like the line that ends wih ‘sinking’. But awesome, doing Zep proud!

Back