mic out at square leg

kickingtone

I don't naturally have the kind of voice for this genre, but I mess around anyway.

Now, I've noticed that if I place the mic 12 inches (yes, a whole foot) out to my left, and almost level with my chin, there's an improvement in tone. Kind of unorthodox, but whatdyathink? Is it beginning to sound at all convincing? :p

SJB042FRP by kickingtone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

(square leg...er...that's a cricketing term....a field position.....maybe 3rd base or something for you baseball people.....except that also means something else :facepalm:)

What kind of mic are you using?

I suppose if it's a condenser, then you'd have less direct sound than straight on and more room sound. (Also, fewer issues with plosives)

What kind of mic are you using?

I suppose if it's a condenser, then you'd have less direct sound than straight on and more room sound. (Also, fewer issues with plosives)

It's a dynamic mic.

I'm a novice when it comes to mics, but I think that means it can't be a condenser, right? I've kind of forgotten what I read up about it, but I think it has a "cardioid polar" pickup pattern blah blah blah or something. I don't know if that is relevant to room sound? I still can't figure the thing out. It seems to have a life of its own.

Yeah, dynamics and condensers are different categories of mic.
Interesting that it would work well a foot away and at a strange angle. Dynamics tend to be really sensitive to distance.

Back