I'm not a "singer"...

repomanmusic

...but I sing :facepalm: ...and actually record my singing.:drunk: All I have ever used is a bit of reverb on the vocal tracks, it helps a bit but certainly doesn't improve the overall sound of my, usually, flat voice.
I have a buddy who also sucks at singing but he uses a vocal effects processor. His tracks are almost listenable, so I'm like, yeah, that's what I need too.
I know next to nothing about home recording( that's why I'm here) but that doesn't stop me.
I use a Fostex MR16 HD. I record the tracks, mix them, master them and burn the song onto CD all with this deck. The CD then goes onto my computer where the song gets posted on soundcloud and reverbnation (under "repomanmusic"!) I use no DAW program, just the Fostex. Not looking for major rehab of my studio just a decent vocal processor/pedal.
As much as I have tried to understand how new world recording works I can't, for the life of me, get my pea brain around it.
I'm been looking at getting one of these, DigiTech Vocalist Live FX | Reverb (it will be used obviously since the manufacturer has since upgraded it about 18 times) for around 150 bucks.

Any thoughts on this effects pedal?... a good idea?
What vocal processors/pedals do you Pavarotti's out there use to improve your vocal tracks?
I have a budget of around 200 dollars.

If you want a good laugh here is an example of my home recording - bass, piano, bells and vocals with a canned drum track :spank:
New Car by repomanmusic | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Thanks,
repoman

I think you're a better singer than you think...yes this is way rough and flat in spots...but it's also on in spots ...which means you can sing you just need to work at it harder...maybe take a voice class so you learn where to sing from get your air...sounds like you're running out of air sometimes...closed throat sort of stuff

Anyway so yeah not a great vocal performance but I sure dig the lyrics and the concept of the song.....you are a decent lyricist / songwriter ...keep at it dude.

You actually have a really good tone to your voice. You've got some basic singing errors in how you breath, and why you can't sustain the notes that any decent singing teacher could really sort out. Personally - I'd skip spending money on gizmos, and put it into a decent teacher and I reckon your singing would be great them without assistance. Many people can sing, without a nice tone (me included) you have a listenable voice. Stick with it.

I think you're a better singer than you think...yes this is way rough and flat in spots...but it's also on in spots ...which means you can sing you just need to work at it harder...maybe take a voice class so you learn where to sing from get your air...sounds like you're running out of air sometimes...closed throat sort of stuff

Anyway so yeah not a great vocal performance but I sure dig the lyrics and the concept of the song.....you are a decent lyricist / songwriter ...keep at it dude.

Thanks for the support man, very appreciated and totally unexpected, I was just looking for a review on an effects pedal :) but I'll take your words for thought.

You actually have a really good tone to your voice. You've got some basic singing errors in how you breath, and why you can't sustain the notes that any decent singing teacher could really sort out. Personally - I'd skip spending money on gizmos, and put it into a decent teacher and I reckon your singing would be great them without assistance. Many people can sing, without a nice tone (me included) you have a listenable voice. Stick with it.

...but I love gizmos! Haha, thanks guy, really appreciate the kind words and encouragement. I guess I didn't word my original post quite right... I want another studio toy to mess with, just looking for what people use to twist their vocal tracks around lol

but that's totally different? Vocalists rarely use toys, like the musicians do - all they need is normally sweeteners. I bought a harmoniser (TC Electronics) but just a gimmick that I liked for a while - 4 part harmonies with MIDI keys in to control. Great, but unpredictable and very formal based. Sounds excellent. Got bored very quickly. Perhaps good for your own songs, but it rarely was able to do voices like a cover did.

A pitch corrector falls into the same area - great for some things, terrible for others.

Gotta tell ya...If ya wanna have some fun look at the TC Helicon stuff... Amazing stuff....and pitch correction...The TC Helicon stuff is top of the line for singers and the voicelive stuff with harmonies (way bitchin) but just making a single voice WAAAAY better the Mic Mechanic is a great tool and value...

Here's a link to TC Helicons toys GO CRAZY REALLY GOOD STUFF!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Dude u aren't a bad singer.
I don't know squat about home recording. I'd just say your voice sounds way 'tucked in'? Behind the music... IDK how to describe it... Like ur voice needs to be more up front ? Hope that makes sense.

If u wrote that song kudos man - I was tapping my foot and smiling at some of the lyrics.
And again- ur not a bad singer at all imo!

I'd just say your voice sounds way 'tucked in'? Behind the music... IDK how to describe it... Like ur voice needs to be more up front ? Hope that makes sense.

I hear this kind of comment from time to time, and I have no idea what people are talking about. The vocals sound "forward" enough, to me.

What do other people think?

Back