Honest vocal critique

Needs to be more natural, practice more and put more feeling into it, the problem with pop songs is there's not much feeling so you can't do much about it. Other than that seems good, not a great voice, but a good one, sure is enough for pop.

I think if you would get more going with the instruments/arrangement you could push your singing a bit more and not have to worry so much about what's "not right" with your voice. You'll be able to get emotional and have it blend in with the music. This will give you more confidence and then you'll relax even more and really get into it. My first thought on your voice when I heard the beginning of this track was ... Prince. Maybe because I've been listening to him this afternoon.

Keep working it :listeningmusic:

I don't know the song, so I had a quick Youtube of the original. Funny thing is that I prefer the way you were singing it, over the original. But then the type of sound is not really my kind of thing. All that vocal fry in the original...I couldn't listen for more than 30 seconds. Kills it for me, but it makes it for others. I think that it has become fashionable to associate vocal fry with emotion.

Anyway, basic things... your pitch sounds good, and your phrasing fine. I do agree that it doesn't quite sound natural in parts. It sounds to me as if you were "finding" the accent. I wouldn't worry if your own accent comes through. If you adopt something of another accent, it shouldn't be so noticeable that that is what you are doing.

Stylistically, can't help you, bud. Not my kind of music, so I can't sense what may need doing for that.

But you do make it sound like you are into it. Singing because you like it is the best approach in my opinion.

I'd archive the clip, keep practising, and take a listen back in a year's time. You may be surprised how much else you've discovered since then. It can become quite addictive.

22/M Hi! So I've never had vocal lessons or anything but I just like to sing. I love constructive criticism and any advice, my feelings don't get hurt easily so it would be helpful if you can be honest! Recorded on my phone, so sorry about the quality.

Lost in Japan - iphone by jtv612 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I would ignore most of the above advice. You're already better than 90% of the singers on this forum, and I'm certain a quality recording and mix would show that. Listen to whatever you wish, but I'm sure you know the truth.

Now, put that to tape (PC) and get a good recording. Nice vox

Back