HELP: Give me your honest feedback on this cover of Coldplay's Yellow

Your voice is piercing and a little whiny at times. The pitch is okay. It's a little flat but not too bad.

The voice would probably sound better blended in with a band than alone. I'm not sure, tbh, if this is good. It seems okay with potential, but I didn't want to hit repeat.

I heard a bit of pitchiness too but its hard to sing a song acapella like that. I also think it would sound much better with a band but its pretty good as is.

Improve your recording skills and mixing skills. Get a good mic and sing the exact same song.

You will be amazed how much better you can sing/sounds :)

3 seconds (sorry, but I hate this song) tells me that you're trying to be all "emoty" without learning to sing first.

Boring, I know, but learn to hold a note first.

Disclaimer: I'm just another Joe Schmoe who likes to sing and make music. My thoughts and opinions are subjective and given for free...and you get what you pay for...that said.

Yeah the recording is poor.. If you are planning on recording ( which is the main purpose of this site) you need to work on your signal and effects.

If you're just asking about your voice...Your voice is fine...it could be really good. That said, someone can have a good voice and if you don't know how to use it, it will take you nowhere....Just like a person with an awesome race car that doesn't know how to drive.

The free advice...
learn how to work with Mic Proximity and use a Pop filter when recording
You are breathy so you need to learn to sing and breathe from your diaphragm.
Your articulation is not great and weakens at the end of your lines.
Not meant as an insult but it almost sounds as if you have an Asian accent...
Lastly anyone can run off lyric lines...feeling them and emoting them as required for whatever the lyrics are trying to convey is an art in of itself.
I personally try to only sing songs that I really like and I can relate to and thus tell the story, send the message of the song I'm singing. Pick songs you are really into and own them ( know the lyrics and how you are going to sing them completely )before you press the red button to record.

Since your pitch is basically fine, the question comes down to style, which is very subjective.

One thing I notice is that your notes peak very early. You can compare this with the original (or almost any song of the same genre) and pay close attention to the duration of each note. Usually, a note will swell gracefully, peak in the middle and then fade. Your notes are tending to "explode" into an immediate peak and then thin. That could be deliberate style, or it could be an issue with breath support.

Hi there! Thanks for the feedback. I definitely want to learn as much as I can about mixing and recording. So far I only know the basics of GarageBand and I recently bought a beginner's recording set (Scarlett Focusrite) Do you know of any good online resources/tutorials that can help? Thanks so much :)

Back