Have I improved or gotten worse?

Misterblue22

I recently posted seeking advice about my voice and whether it was adequate to muck around with friends and such or maybe have a crack at kareoke at the pub for a laugh. Little while ago I found that I seemed to be forcing my voice, probably subconsciously trying to go deeper as I hate how young I sound. I’ve learned to relax it a bit and was hoping to get feedback on whether it is better, or maybe it makes me sound much younger and higher or worse now. Or maybe yall won’t hear a difference. In any case I’d really appreciate some feedback. Thanks guys. (Some difference may come from the fact that the first one was recorded on an iphone on its own, and the second through iphone headphones, although about a foot away. Don’t know which gives a more accurate representation but I bet someone here would?

Old

YouTube

New

YouTube

Misterblue, I am still hearing pitch problems. It is true that the key to it is relaxation, but you need to build crucial muscle strength in order to relax. If I were to pick up a guitar and try to do what you are doing, it wouldn't work, no matter how much I relax. That is because I haven't built all the muscle strength in my fingers, first. Until I have that muscle strength to make the correct postures, improvements in the sound won't mean much.

I know that you say that your current aims are modest, but it doesn't make the fundamentals any easier. Correct breathing technique, from the diaphragm or belly is a must, and that means training in the muscle strength. Unless you want to become something like an operatic tenor, it doesn't take that much training (despite people claiming to practice 4 or 5 hours a day). A couple of hours a week would do it, easily, but you do need to understand the techniques first.

You won't have a clear idea of your voice (or any comparisons) until you bring your voice out with proper breath control.

I know what you mean about singing to expectation. Ultimately, there will be some of that, especially for particular genres. But I still think it is better to go via your own default sound, first, and then build on top of that. That is just my opinion. Maybe some folk can manage differently.

Appoggio technique works well for all kinds of genres and singing...

(These guys have a series of videos, and I have found them to be top drawer).

Michael Trimble

Franco Tenelli

Back