Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Do you think i can sing?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    1,592
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 157 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    2775113
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Interesting- I don't know the goodnight song, I'll have a listen! Cheers. Maybe he'd had some lessons by then?

    Lots of people get grumpy when singing lessons are suggested. Weird when musicians voluntarily have music lessons from a master to improve their playing quite happily - singers take the hump?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    46508
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Interesting- I don't know the goodnight song, I'll have a listen! Cheers. Maybe he'd had some lessons by then?

    Lots of people get grumpy when singing lessons are suggested. Weird when musicians voluntarily have music lessons from a master to improve their playing quite happily - singers take the hump?
    If you told a guitarist to junk their favourite guitar because the sound sucks, they'd probably react in a similar way. Instead, you could say that you, personally, prefer, I don't know, a more rounded sound, while still recognizing that it is only your personal opinion.
    If I offer my opinion on a matter of personal taste, I DON'T also offer a "fix" or "remedy". That would be presumptuous. Just because I don't like the sound of something, doesn't mean that it needs fixing.
    On the other hand, if it is something more objective, like a flat note, then I can offer a fix. But, I should be able to say which note or notes, so that you can check for yourself. Singers are much less likely to argue over specific, objective comments.
    Trouble is, matters of taste, culture and fashion, are much more often treated as "fact", when it comes to singing, when it is really only a matter of "my taste vs your taste".

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Remind me of Ozzy Osbourne's voice.

    You're not bad. There's a spot where it gets high and sounds like you're trying really hard and maybe miss it a tiny bit on part of that..
    Go find a good vocal coach.
    You're good enough that they could probably help you fix that one issue and you'd be fine man.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Could you give me feedback too if you get a chance man?

    Guitar and a song, would like honest opinion por favor


    And just saw the comments about some singers getting mad about being told to take lessons - if I tell someone to take lessons, that usually means I think they are GOOD ENOUGH for lessons. Plus people at the highest levels of most anything train and hone their skills and talents... If it makes someone that's good even better, what is the downside of that?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    1,592
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 157 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    2775113
    I tried to have a listen but the link expired. In my job I have to listen to lots of stuff performed by people who cannot sing very well, or maybe play the guitar pretty badly.

    Last year I needed a guy. He had to be able to act, sing and play the saxophone. None of the people who could sing and act could play the sax well. So I gave the best one the job, and he murdered the sax part he had to play every single show - and we did 88! He was a great singer and dancer. He had had music lessons since he was 12, and sadly I suspect his sax teacher was probably old and deaf - or more likely lacking the courage to say to him "Maybe you're not cut out to play the sax?" Even worse - my stage manager teased me about giving somebody a job playing sax who couldn't, and the guys in the band wet themselves every night when he played it - waiting for him to split the note, or honk, or just play the wrong note. The guy never knew he was the butt of all the jokes, which was very sad. The sax player in the band asked me if maybe he should play the part and the actor mime - which sounded great, but the actor turned it down, saying he'd been practicing and was nearly there. He wasn't and never got close. Lessons would have been pointless.

    In the case of singers, lessons can show them how to support their voice, how to keep it going when tired, and how to produce a decent tone.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Re:
    Ok I looked up the site ppl on here are using to upload and uploaded on that.
    So jic the Dropbox link expires again, here's that 1 too
    https://vocaroo.com/i/s1Lz1vlEvjBB

    Thx for taking a few min to listen

    And ya - don't spare my feelings man, if I'm better off being a listener only at a campfire or whatever would def like to find out this way instead hah

    --------

    Ah..
    Thanks for letting me know.
    Had no idea it expired.

    Here's another, still on Dropbox.
    Dropbox - quick acoustic.m4a

    Maybe should figure out a different way to post an MP3 instead of Dropbox.

    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    I tried to have a listen but the link expired. In my job I have to listen to lots of stuff performed by people who cannot sing very well, or maybe play the guitar pretty badly.

    Last year I needed a guy. He had to be able to act, sing and play the saxophone. None of the people who could sing and act could play the sax well. So I gave the best one the job, and he murdered the sax part he had to play every single show - and we did 88! He was a great singer and dancer. He had had music lessons since he was 12, and sadly I suspect his sax teacher was probably old and deaf - or more likely lacking the courage to say to him "Maybe you're not cut out to play the sax?" Even worse - my stage manager teased me about giving somebody a job playing sax who couldn't, and the guys in the band wet themselves every night when he played it - waiting for him to split the note, or honk, or just play the wrong note. The guy never knew he was the butt of all the jokes, which was very sad. The sax player in the band asked me if maybe he should play the part and the actor mime - which sounded great, but the actor turned it down, saying he'd been practicing and was nearly there. He wasn't and never got close. Lessons would have been pointless.

    In the case of singers, lessons can show them how to support their voice, how to keep it going when tired, and how to produce a decent tone.
    Last edited by Mhcapa1; 11-01-2017 at 21:41. Reason: In case 2nd link expires

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    1,592
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 157 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    2775113
    They're OK to listen to. Voice sings in tune and is a nice tone. Guitar gets a bit repetitive, but typical for the type of song. The song itself isn't something I'd listen to, but works OK. Absolutely nothing about it that annoys, and to be honest, so many nowadays really do annoy. I guess I'm saying it's perhaps a bit bland for me, but it's not bad. I'd listen to more!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Hey thanks Rob.
    I checked threads you started to see if you were one of these guys wanting feedback on your singing.
    Didnt see any of those but caught a cool vid of guy playing, fingers all up and down the neck.. real smooth sound.

    But ya, me on gtr ... I'm not at the level where I can do the cool sounding stuff, really just strumming chords. When I hear ppl on acoustic gtr moving their fingers around adding sounds and like transitions? between chords I'm like that's awesome... But ya I'm not at that level. Just the repetitive strumming lol.

    And you're being nice too man.
    I understand some people are really sensitive about criticism of them singing or songs they write or whatever.
    Personally, Im not.
    For me, I just think I stopped trying my self worth to stuff like this a few years back.
    Learned a while back that we have x amount of time on Earth, and there's more important things, at least for me, to spend time on, and connecting your self worth to something like your art and getting defensive if people criticize is really just like a stage of denial bc the person is clinging to some self worth thing theyve tied to their work... Hypothesizing... and veering off into philosophical mode there... But ya, so ya you're being nice or graceful there, which is considerate of you. I tried to read between the lines in what you said there in case there's anything else to take away...

    Bland - I think I know what you mean... I think I agree.
    When I listened to it, it's like it's just missing that... whatever it is... that some pros seem to have in their singing with just a gtr... I guess soul? or something... IDK.
    If thats what you're talking about I agree.
    If you're talking about the guitar, no real question about it there hah.

    Might go somewhere where I know no one can hear me and try belting it out and see what it sounds like
    Maybe I just don't have that thing...whatever it is... But if so, it's cool, wouldn't trade my soul or anything to get it.

    Nice to know I'm in tune and tones ok.
    I don't know much about that stuff either.
    Really just move a capo around on songs until I think it's easy to sing. Wound up with capo I on that song...
    Musicians might be shaking their head with their hand on their forehead hearing that lol... It's really just lack of knowledge of all that stuff on my part... I don't even know how to know the key or range of my voice... Or if key is even the right term there...

    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    They're OK to listen to. Voice sings in tune and is a nice tone. Guitar gets a bit repetitive, but typical for the type of song. The song itself isn't something I'd listen to, but works OK. Absolutely nothing about it that annoys, and to be honest, so many nowadays really do annoy. I guess I'm saying it's perhaps a bit bland for me, but it's not bad. I'd listen to more!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    1,592
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 157 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    2775113
    I run a seasonal theatre and we have loads of music acts come through, plus I'm in a band that play at similar theatre in other parts of the country, so I always base my opinions on how well proper would go down with a typical audience. Yours would not raise any quality questions if the audience liked the genre of music. Whenever we have a band or a singer who really cannot sing, you get a warning tingle and we're always then thinking if we'll have people at the box office complaining. We had this once with a band who went down really well, but then swapped the singer and he was terrible - the people felt cheated. if you hear this somewhere public, you can move on - but if you pay for it, then the quality threshold goes up. Your voice wouldn't set the alarm bells running. Other than that, it's really genre based if you like the music, like the style and the whole thing!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    What language is this? Second one with improved pitch sounded heaps better! Keep at it, singing is subjective, if you’re having fun, there will be people who enjoy what you do.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Can I sing?
    By seancfc in forum Vocal Technique & Processing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 14:26
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 22:09
  3. Do you know these soft for sing and notes/frequency - sing and see pro?
    By mikeit in forum Vocal Technique & Processing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 06:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •