Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you think i can sing?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Sorry but I don't think you have what it takes to be a lead singer at the moment. Maybe some lessons would help.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpan27 View Post

So here's the deal....If you go outside and listen to the birds sing...they all sing...some sound more pleasant than others...some are just downright annoying... can they all sing? Yes

As humans most anyone with properly working lungs and a functioning voice box can sing...so when you ask can I sing? The answer is an emphatic yes you can. Now if you extend that question to do I have what it takes vocally to be a lead singer in a band...the answer again would be yes....but remember Yoko Ono sang in a band. Good is subjective and the masses may think you're great and a minority might think you stink or vice versa. Not trying to offend you or discourage you. We all have dreams...That said based on what I heard if you don't work on your pitch and control and also delivery, even if you are really good looking it is unlikely ( at least in my limited experience opinion ) that you will be selling out arena's and living the high life of a super wealthy rock star. That said it is highly unlikely than any other member here at HR.com is going to be either....and trust me there are some damn good musicians hanging here. It's a one in a million chance, like winning the lottery and being amazing is only one element of getting the big break....after 50+ years of chasing dreams I have one solid take away....The harder I work at something, the luckier I get...

If you enjoy singing and already like what you hear then do what you do, work hard and enjoy it as best you can. If when you listen to your recordings and you hear stuff you don't like work hard to improve and keep at it. If you're doing this for the glory, adoration, the mansion and the yacht well you may be wasting your time but then again...you might just get "lucky" if you work hard enough at it..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    As humans most anyone with properly working lungs and a functioning voice box can sing...so when you ask can I sing? The answer is an emphatic yes you can.
    This is the truth.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpan27 View Post
    This is starting to sound like a troll a bit here. First you act as though you have no idea whether you can sing, and then all of the sudden you proclaim it loudly from the treetops.

Regardless, I'll echo the sentiment most have expressed so far: Are you there yet? No. You need to practice. But that's what most people have to do when they're just starting out. It's a simple equation: the more you do it, the better you'll get.

One more thing: This should have been posted in the "Can I sing?" sub-forum.
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alexspetty2 View Post
    I think you've got a good spirit about your singing; you kind of remind me of David Bowie.
    Pitch isn't always everything, but it is important. Keep singing, practicing and getting better. Never give up if you love it!
    -Alex
    What he said.
    --
    https://soundcloud.com/alexpetty

Thanks
    Welcome back, alexspetty.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Welcome back, alexspetty.
    Glad to be back! Thanks Steenamaroo.
    --
    https://soundcloud.com/alexpetty

Thanks
    Plenty of singers cannot sing, when judged against the usual standards which tend to include things like pitch, timbre and voice quality. Many make a lot more money than I do, if you judge success in that way. Bob Dylan, Morrisey, and even Sinatra had pitching problems, but the other attributes worked for them. Plenty of people miss notes and slide up or down into them, and some feature it as part of their own individual style. Some are natural singers, and some had to work really hard at it. What happens in your recordings is that you have very little natural power, so when you do go for it, you cannot sustain the note, and you run out of steam because you're singing from your throat, with just whatever air was in your windpipe, and when it's gone, the note fizzles out. If you listen carefully to the songs that were written for Ringo in the Beatles to sing, there are no 'go for it' notes, there are no big jumps from one note to another, and most importantly most notes are a crotchet long, maybe the occasional minim in the mid range, but it's all short breath composing. This way, the songs he sang fit his voice perfectly. They actually wrote songs Ringo could sing without showing him up. If you get singing lessons, before you ever get to singing a song, they teach you to support your voice with the diaphragm, and this gives you more sustained note capability, and control. If you have a decent ear, then your pitching improves too, and so does the quality of your voice. When I was a college lecturer, I had one guy who could act well, but his singing was really uncontrolled - like yours, a bit difficult to listen to. He'd hit a note, powerfully, but flat, and that was horrible. Mentally, I just ticked him off as not a good singer. Twenty years later he makes a decent living on the road ...... as a singer, and he's good. He got some lessons and learned the technique, learned the tricks and tips and it worked.

I sing in a band - a close harmony band where we all need to be very precise. I get all the tricky inside parts with odd jumps, clashing notes, and the important 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th notes that need to be hit every time. I'm good at it. Out of the 4 of us, I have one song where I sing lead vocal, in a set list of up to two hours long. This is because while I can sing in an accurate, repeatable and reliable way, I am NOT a singer. My voice is bland, lacking in character, and quality. Our guitarist is less technical competent that me singing wise, but his voice suits the material to do the leads, while mine doesn't. We can all sing, the question is how well.

My listening suggests to me that you need lessons to improve the things you currently don't do so well, and the killer fault is pitch - really bad in places that make the listener go 'wow', with a shake of the head, not a nod!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    If you listen carefully to the songs that were written for Ringo in the Beatles to sing, there are no 'go for it' notes, there are no big jumps from one note to another, and most importantly most notes are a crotchet long, maybe the occasional minim in the mid range, but it's all short breath composing.
    I would agree with this mostly, but they did start giving him considerably more vocal freedom later on. There was a big "go for it" note at the end of "With the Help of My Friends," for instance. And "Good Night" from the White Album, is pretty much a crooner song that certainly requires some breath control.
    famous beagle

Thread Information