"can I sing?" Would love feedback! (Trying to create a style)

LewieR

Hello, just messing around. Would love opinions and feedback!

I just put a little sentence of the song and skipped the chorus :)

Attachments

• upload.mp3
    570.1 KB · Views: 69
When people ask if they can sing..............and send a recording of themselves.............before I give feedback I like to ask what THEY think of their own singing. Invariably.........whether they're good or bad in my opinion........we almost never hear the same things the same way. The beauty of having a recording of yourself is that you can hear it as a listener and not as your voice in your head that thinks it sounds like a pro. Granted......it's not easy or even natural to be objective about your own voice...........but there it is in all it's..........well.........glory..........or not.

So...........LewieR...........what do you think of your singing voice?????

Ok.....listen.........it was very tough to listen to..........for a number of reasons. Almost torturous. So......we got that out of the way. Now.......all that only means is that you couldn't take the stage anywhere or sing with a band anytime soon...........if you don't seek out professional lessons. Does that mean you should not try to be a singer? Nope. If that's what you want to do then you better get started............and don't let me talk you out of it.

Hey,
I'm pretty sure I heard a clip from you before and this sounds pretty similar to me.
Sure, the recording quality isn't great and that doesn't help you much but, setting that aside, you sound like you're putting on too much of an 'emotion' thing or an impression of someone and it's impeding diction and clarity.

From the little we heard it sounds like you have an ear for pitch enough so my suggestion would be to step back from affecting any particular style/accent/inflections and just focus on the strength and clarity of your voice.

Like any instrument, you have to be in full control of it to be convincing. ;)

No, if that's what you call singing, you can't sing.

Give up, or be serious and cut out the caterwauling and over-emoting and just sing like a human being instead of a constipated piglet.

From the little we heard it sounds like you have an ear for pitch enough so my suggestion would be to step back from affecting any particular style/accent/inflections and just focus on the strength and clarity of your voice.

Yup, this is exactly it. Your pitch and ability to hit the right notes is there, but it sounds like you're trying to impersonate something you heard or some singer you like instead of singing with your own voice and tone. Too much fake emotion in the voice and it sounds like a bad impersonation. There's certainly a good foundation in there and, like I said, you already have the ability to hit the notes, so focus on singing naturally, without all the extra "desperation" and "on-the-verge-of-crying" tidbits, and this will come together more convincingly. Basically, stop forcing things and trying so hard. Relax.

Back